• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning for EC?

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Any tips? Honestly I'm completely clueless as to what to do for this! He's got his 21 day clean this weekend - he doesn't specifically have EC but we think it's something to do with his stasis problems.

It's going to be a nightmare, he is a bedroom bunny and there are so many blankets and duvets and my bed and carpets to deal with... I also need to find somewhere to put him while I'm cleaning. No where else is bunny proof :( don't want to stick him in a carrier for hours!

I was going to do a dilute (1% maybe?) bleach clean of his indoor cage (only used for hay and as litter tray) and puppy pen, wash all blanket type things on a high wash, flip my mattress, Hoover (he doesn't wee on carpet but not sure if I can rent a steam cleaner!) and generally wash everything down with the diluted bleach. Does this seem OK?

It is going to be such a big job. Is there anything else I could use other than bleach like a pet disinfectant? I'm worried about airing bleached stuff out properly. Going to have to buy new blankets as well for while these ones are on wash :( do I have to bin all his toys? He has quite A LOT and I can't afford to replace them, don't think any have ever been near his wee!

I am absolutely dreading it!

Any tips? Honestly I'm completely clueless as to what to do for this! He's got his 21 day clean this weekend - he doesn't specifically have EC but we think it's something to do with his stasis problems.

It's going to be a nightmare, he is a bedroom bunny and there are so many blankets and duvets and my bed and carpets to deal with... I also need to find somewhere to put him while I'm cleaning. No where else is bunny proof :( don't want to stick him in a carrier for hours!

I was going to do a dilute (1% maybe?) bleach clean of his indoor cage (only used for hay and as litter tray) and puppy pen, wash all blanket type things on a high wash, flip my mattress, Hoover (he doesn't wee on carpet but not sure if I can rent a steam cleaner!) and generally wash everything down with the diluted bleach. Does this seem OK?

It is going to be such a big job. Is there anything else I could use other than bleach like a pet disinfectant? I'm worried about airing bleached stuff out properly. Going to have to buy new blankets as well for while these ones are on wash :( do I have to bin all his toys? He has quite A LOT and I can't afford to replace them, don't think any have ever been near his wee!

I am absolutely dreading it!

To be honest the main issue is the litter tray and wherever he wees .. this is with a 10% bleach solution.

I can quite understand you may not be able to rent a steam cleaner, and when I gave my buns panacur I didn't bleach and steam the *whole* house, as that is their territory. So basically, don't feel you have to go mad unless you really want to. I wouldn't throw away his toys.

It's the spores in urine that are the culprit. Washing duvet covers etc is a precaution.

I agree with MightyMax - it's where urine has been and where spores might be re-ingested. You can't sterilise absolutely everywhere the bun has been. I used to bleach litter trays, but just wash blankets etc as normal.

I agree with MightyMax - it's where urine has been and where spores might be re-ingested. You can't sterilise absolutely everywhere the bun has been. I used to bleach litter trays, but just wash blankets etc as normal.

It is possible for EC transmission to occur via airbourne environmental spores.

Transmission

Ingestion: the spores are shed in urine and are infective by ingestion of contaminated water or food. (B600.16.w16, B601.11.w11, B602.20.w20, B603.4.w4, B604.5.w5, B614.10.w10, J29.5.w1)
Inhalation: spores may also be inhaled. (B600.16.w16, B601.11.w11, B602.20.w20, B603.4.w4)
Young rabbits may be infected by their dam within the first few days of life. (B600.16.w16)
Maternal transfer of immunity appears to occur in newborn rabbits. (B600.16.w16)
Maternal antibodies subside when the young rabbit is around four weeks old. (B604.5.w5)
The major exchange between the doe and her young occurs between the fourth and sixth weeks of life. Sero-conversion of the young rabbits occurs during the seventh and ninth weeks of life. (B604.5.w5)
Transplacental transmission also occurs. (B601.11.w11)
Transplacental transmission, with the organism entering the lens during development of the eye in utero is thought to be responsible for cases of ocular encephalitozoonosis. (B600.11.w11, B601.12.w12)
Most rabbits are exposed to this disease in utero or at birth. (B609.2.w2)
Endo- or ectoparasites may act as transport/vector hosts. (B603.4.w4, B614.10.w10)
Rabbits that are showing clinical signs of this disease are no longer shedding spores as the spores are only shed for three weeks after infection. (B609.2.w2)

From here: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Although transmission by inhalation is less likely than by direct contact with urine contaminated surfaces. So in a single Rabbit setting the OTT cleaning may not be such an issue, in a multi-Rabbit setting and/or when there are lots of Rabbits coming in/going out (eg a Rescue/Borading facility) personally I would err on the side of caution and attempt to steam clean as many areas as possible. Then again I am a tad OCD about that sort of thing !! I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

Blimey, I'd never steam clean a carpet weekly.

I have been known to ... but only in patches :lol:

Holhol - you'll have to buy an air filter and filter every bit of air Fergie breathes so as he doesn't ingest any spores!

(ps. only joking :lol: )

Thanks everyone :) the big clean is on Sunday - going to bleach, wash, Hoover and borrow a steam cleaner for the carpet!

My mum is very pleased my room will finallllly be clean and habitable again but me and Fergie are less pleased about the whole idea! We like our human-rabbit-bedroom-hay shop-hutch!

Thanks everyone :) the big clean is on Sunday - going to bleach, wash, Hoover and borrow a steam cleaner for the carpet!

My mum is very pleased my room will finallllly be clean and habitable again but me and Fergie are less pleased about the whole idea! We like our human-rabbit-bedroom-hay shop-hutch!

Good luck !!

Haha - so there's an upside to this E.C. lark? One gets a clean living space *plus* the approval of the Mater :lol:

Back