• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Pages on Facebook

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Please can you make an effort to join on some of the pages please?

There seems to be so much lack of knowledge I'm surprised any of their rabbits are alive.

I've recently been kicked off of one because I was saying that a whole carrot a day for rabbits is a bad idea with reasons as to why.
I was then told that if I wanted to give advice I would need to find posters online to share so it wasn't seen as being personal attacks. Many people using harnesses, but when I commented with the dangers I received so many negative comments from people who didn't have a clue!

ARGHHHH.

Please help me before I cry with frustration. If you're on them already but don't comment much it would be fab to spare a few mins a day giving advice :)

Do you have the links? I don't use Facebook an awful lot but I'm happy to join and support you. xx

I was kicked off of House Rabbits UK but am on RABBITS UNITED at the moment :)

I think there are a fair few more but can only handle one or two pages of stupid at a time!

Ooo I didn't know about House Rabbits UK. I'm on UK Rabbit Group (run by Sarah on here but I can't remember her user name). There is a fair amount of stupid on there but luckily there are quite a few great people too!

I've joined groups and left after a few hours because I can't handle the people in them! Rabbit facebooks and instagrams make me so angry some days, the ignorance of some rabbit owners is astounding :(

I get what you mean Holhol but I almost feel that it makes me want to help more as there are so many people that are clueless!

I have joined and left so many FB bunny sites - I get so frustrated with people who just won't listen and learn. I just cannot understand the stupidity and stubborness of some people - drives me potty.

I like UK Rabbit Group - and Bunny Hoppers Retreat - but will join up others to - if just one rabbits life is improved, then thats good.

I have joined and left so many FB bunny sites - I get so frustrated with people who just won't listen and learn. I just cannot understand the stupidity and stubborness of some people - drives me potty.

I like UK Rabbit Group - and Bunny Hoppers Retreat - but will join up others to - if just one rabbits life is improved, then thats good.

I've been kicked off of them for telling people straight. I don't think I come across as rude, maybe a bit preachy but if your rabbit needs medical attention (laboured breathing, not moving) and you are 'waiting to see what happens', then you are a cruel, ignorant, pig headed donkey rear. I don't think that was well received but what made it worse was that people were DEFENDING HER DECISION to wait.

I think I've made somewhat of a difference, myself and a few other people have stopped quite a few people from using harnesses as people just don't understand the risks. Same with sawdust... even if one rabbit's life is improved then it may also have a knock on effect, if they get another they won't make the same mistakes.

But it is soul destroying so I understand why people don't visit the sites...

I've been kicked off Rabbit World and Bunny Rabbit World - you just have the mention the word "rescue" or "welfare" on there and you get booted out the door. They are at the top of list of stupid!!

Am on a lot of other ones, like Rabbit Network, Rabbit Chat, UK Rabbit Group and Rabbits United, more a lurker than a regular poster though!

I have just had a good look through the Rabbit World group and I can see why you have got so wound up. People are posting pics of their beloved pets but the conditions some of them seem to be living in is shocking :shock:

I think it's fair enough to get negative comments with the harness comment because harnesses aren't necessarily bad things like feeding a carrot everyday is. Although they shouldn't be blind to the fact that harnesses can be dangerous. Knowing the risks is the obviously the only way to make sure nothing bad happens.

But yeah I know the feeling with tryin to give advice to people who just don't want to listen. It's infuriating - research, learning, and willingness/being open-minded to necessary changes are all parts of animal ownership. It's like if you aren't willing to do that you should reconsider having pets.

I especially don't get not doing proper research when they're online hanging out on a FB rabbit page. Like they have the internet to do research and they're clearly interested in their rabbits, so do they just not know how to research or do they not want to keep their rabbits differently (e.g. a small cage is convenient to them, so they don't want to learn that it's not suitable) :? I dunno, I find it confusing.

Its so difficult to find groups that give good advice. That's why I made UK Rabbit Group! I was sick of being banned from others for saying things like rabbits shouldn't get muesli and wire bottom cages will hurt rabbits feet etc etc.

I do my best to remind my members that we aren't a general rabbit group but an RWAF supporting one. Still, you will never get rid of all of the people who are determined to do things they probably know aren't right for their rabbits. We can only advise in the end I guess.

We're quite lucky to have a few rabbit savvy people around most of the time. Including a rabbit specific vet nurse. X

I have just had a good look through the Rabbit World group and I can see why you have got so wound up. People are posting pics of their beloved pets but the conditions some of them seem to be living in is shocking :shock:

Yup. I got banned for telling someone not to bathe their rabbit, and instead investigate why they have such a mucky bum. How dare I not say "oh how cute, a rabbit in a bath" like everyone else. >_< turned out the rabbit was getting fed buckets of veg and no hay at all. Just URGH.

Its so difficult to find groups that give good advice. That's why I made UK Rabbit Group! I was sick of being banned from others for saying things like rabbits shouldn't get muesli and wire bottom cages will hurt rabbits feet etc etc.

I do my best to remind my members that we aren't a general rabbit group but an RWAF supporting one. Still, you will never get rid of all of the people who are determined to do things they probably know aren't right for their rabbits. We can only advise in the end I guess.

We're quite lucky to have a few rabbit savvy people around most of the time. Including a rabbit specific vet nurse. X

I LOVE your page and I feel so comfortable being a member of it. :D I mainly lurk, but that's not the point. The fact is, you know that there is a basic standard implied by the simple fact you keep it to RWAF standards minimum.

It's awful how little knowledge there is about rabbits in general. I had to take a taxi home after Athena's vet appointment yesterday and the taxi driver was so interested in the care and wellbeing. I only chatted about "basic" things, like litter training and spaying does. He was horrified by the statistic of uterine cancer in does and kept complimenting me on how well I've "researched" them and so on. He doesn't even have pets because he doesn't feel like he has the time for them! But it's always nice when people want to pay attention to proper care for them, rather than wilfully ignoring it and neglecting them.

Well, I wouldn't normally recommend muesli or wire bottom hutches but they can have their uses i.e. some people's rabbits do better on muesli and rabbits where I live can get really hot if housed outdoors and I've seen with my past outdoor rabbits that having a part of the hutch that was wire bottom was beneficial for keeping them cool.

I've seen on forums for other animals where people believe that anyone that isn't keeping their animals as they keep them then they must be doing it wrong, like they refuse to believe there's more than one way to keep x animal. So maybe that's what they thought you were like and got a little too trigger happy? (probably am giving them the benefit of the doubt too much :lol:)

This is why I stick to my own groups most of the time! Although I have managed to have a few good arguments on disabled rabbits in recent weeks. One was with a member on here, we really view rabbit welfare differently........

I've just joined your group :thumb:

I think the thing is, that realistically, MOST information out there is conflicting.

However, if you look at FACTS only, then it tends to take personal things out of it, but still upset people.

The harness thing was basically "your rabbit may appear comfortable in the harness, but you CANNOT look into a crystal ball and 100% confirm that NOTHING will spook your bun. You also have NO idea how it will react and a very possible outcome is injury". Still, apparently this is wrong! :roll:

I still comment on things though, I think it's really sad when people ignore it, mostly due to pride I guess and the fact that they don't want to feel as if they've been cruel. A bit like the person posting pics of rabbits with collars on... that is just plain wrong, the only thing I could find plausible would be if the rabbit was identical to another and needed medication or was being bonded with an identical rabbit. There are probably better ways to distinguish but maybe nothing very easily in comparison to a collar for example.

There's doing something wrong because you aren't aware, and then there's doing something wrong even when shown evidence/research/multiple opinions on something which is just plain cruel!

I've just joined your group :thumb:

I think the thing is, that realistically, MOST information out there is conflicting.

However, if you look at FACTS only, then it tends to take personal things out of it, but still upset people.

The harness thing was basically "your rabbit may appear comfortable in the harness, but you CANNOT look into a crystal ball and 100% confirm that NOTHING will spook your bun. You also have NO idea how it will react and a very possible outcome is injury". Still, apparently this is wrong! :roll:

I still comment on things though, I think it's really sad when people ignore it, mostly due to pride I guess and the fact that they don't want to feel as if they've been cruel. A bit like the person posting pics of rabbits with collars on... that is just plain wrong, the only thing I could find plausible would be if the rabbit was identical to another and needed medication or was being bonded with an identical rabbit. There are probably better ways to distinguish but maybe nothing very easily in comparison to a collar for example.

There's doing something wrong because you aren't aware, and then there's doing something wrong even when shown evidence/research/multiple opinions on something which is just plain cruel!

Athena is currently wearing a harness for medical purposes. Not to tell her apart from an identical rabbit (or nearly identical/whatever) but to keep a buster collar on. The cone of shame has been prescribed because she will NOT leave her surgery line alone for a second without it. Hence the reason the harness is being used as part of a method to keep it on her. Do I like it? Heck no. Would I do it for fun, or because it was "cute" or something? No.

Of course, everyone views rabbit welfare differently and rabbits can sometimes tell you they don't like something (Athena taking her collar off all the time. And stamping and scratching when you have to put it on again). But some of the reason they are so neglected is that people find them difficult to read and hence, they are considered "boring".

I always try to do what's best for my buns, and I know that there's things I do that people might disagree with. But caring for them is a continual learning process and I do believe that if people want to keep ANY animal as pets, then they should put every effort into learning said animal's care requirements - and the learning doesn't stop when the animal is at your home.

Back