• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bitten by a rabbit….anything I should be aware of?

ImoT

Mama Doe
So some of you may remember I have been having 'issues' with the school rabbit. He is a lovely boy, quite big, but when I got Winston he started becoming quite aggressive towards me. I have been trying so hard to bond with him but it's been getting worse and worse and today when I put my hand just near his pen for him to sniff me he took a chunk out of my finger. It's not bad enough to warrant a hospital visit but I wasn't able to put any antesceptic on it until I got home from work (the school aren't allowed to have such things :rolleyes:) and it happened at about 8.30am. It looks alright-ish but is quite sore. I know things like cat bites can be quite bad and can get infected easily…but I don't know about rabbit bites?

I am gutted this has happened because it means he won't be allowed out of his pen with any staff or children in the room apart from his owner (one of the teachers) from now on (even though it happened whilst he was in his pen!) :(

So some of you may remember I have been having 'issues' with the school rabbit. He is a lovely boy, quite big, but when I got Winston he started becoming quite aggressive towards me. I have been trying so hard to bond with him but it's been getting worse and worse and today when I put my hand just near his pen for him to sniff me he took a chunk out of my finger. It's not bad enough to warrant a hospital visit but I wasn't able to put any antesceptic on it until I got home from work (the school aren't allowed to have such things :rolleyes:) and it happened at about 8.30am. It looks alright-ish but is quite sore. I know things like cat bites can be quite bad and can get infected easily…but I don't know about rabbit bites?

I am gutted this has happened because it means he won't be allowed out of his pen with any staff or children in the room apart from his owner (one of the teachers) from now on (even though it happened whilst he was in his pen!) :(

I was going to say, i bet that is a worry to be around young children. I am not sure what his issues might be but he sounds to feel quite threatened by you. Does he permanently live on the school premises if he belongs to one of the teachers? I've never been bitten by a Rabbit only a hamster and that was bad enough so i can imagine how sore it is. I would just keep it clean with antiseptic. I would wear disposable gloves and thick gloves when cleaning him out so not only do you not get bitten through to the skin but to also prevent germs. Shame though, I hope your finger gets better and Bun comes around :( xx

Did you rinse the wound out straight away (shoving your finger under a running tap would do) ? That would be the best thing to have done to minimise the risk of infection.

Poor Bunny does not sound to have much of a life stuck in his pen :cry: Perhaps he's grumpy because he is just not suited to being in that sort of environment.

I've never had a problem with rabbit bites and I've had some nasty ones over the years. If you gave it a good flush with clean water when you got home and put some antiseptic on it, then I think it will probably be OK for you to just monitor it. It will be very sore, their bites can go quite deep. I hope it heals quickly.

Poor bunny :( Not a very nice life for him.

can we pm this to the lady who is so confident about keeping 2 giant rabbits in her school?
hope you are soon recovered ImoT

I was going to say, i bet that is a worry to be around young children. I am not sure what his issues might be but he sounds to feel quite threatened by you. Does he permanently live on the school premises if he belongs to one of the teachers? I've never been bitten by a Rabbit only a hamster and that was bad enough so i can imagine how sore it is. I would just keep it clean with antiseptic. I would wear disposable gloves and thick gloves when cleaning him out so not only do you not get bitten through to the skin but to also prevent germs. Shame though, I hope your finger gets better and Bun comes around :( xx

He is on the school premises during term time and then the teacher takes him home in the holidays. I used to go in on a Saturday to let him have a run around and top up his food/water but I haven't been doing that recently because of his behaviour towards me so the teacher goes in. He has been fine around the children (even though some of them have rabbits), I have no idea what I have done to upset him :( I just hope he doesn't bite any of the children if they put their hand in to stroke him. Thankfully I don't have to clean him out (his owner does all of that) so to be honest I think I will just steer clear of him. I am only in that class room until the end of term because the girl I support will be moving to year 2. I am upset I feel this way because we used to get along so well.

For some reason it won't let me quote more than one person.

Jacks Jane…yes I rinsed the wound out straight away. I was in quite a lot of shock to be honest but I at least managed to do that! I think he is a little grumpy about his set up, but surely if it was just that he would be grumpy towards everyone and not just me?

Tracy….i've put savlon on it so fingers crossed!

Happybun….I would agree that keeping 2 giant rabbits in a classroom isn't the best plan!

Sounds like he has grown aggressive from frustration at being kept in a small cage. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the teacher should take him home as after all it is her responsibility and it sounds to me like it has been put on you which is not fair. Does he live with Winston?

I really think you need to have a word with the teacher because if anyone should be worrying about the children being bitten then it should be her as it her Rabbit :cry: He is clearly not a happy bun. I really don't think it is fair on you and you definitely should not be getting bitten because you are feeding someone else's Rabbit. I really hope it improves for him, such a shame he has to be locked up. xx

I think the teacher should take him home as after all it is her responsibility and it sounds to me like it has been put on you which is not fair. Does he live with Winston?

I really think you need to have a word with the teacher because if anyone should be worrying about the children being bitten then it should be her as it her Rabbit :cry: He is clearly not a happy bun. I really don't think it is fair on you and you definitely should not be getting bitten because you are feeding someone else's Rabbit. I really hope it improves for him, such a shame he has to be locked up. xx

Sorry if I've been confusing....Winston is my rabbit at home....he is wonderful and has never bitten me. The school rabbit (let's call him H) lives at school in term time and is the one that bit me. I'm not responsible for him in any way, it's just that because I live walking distance from the school and really got along with H I offered to help out at weekends by going in to see him....but I haven't done that in a while now because he has been getting more and more aggressive towards me. He bit me this morning (a school day) when I went over to say hello to him whilst he was in his pen in the classroom. I think the headteacher/other senior staff are going to have a word with the class teacher (his owner) about him being let out when the children and other staff are around. I am hoping that she will decide to take him home as he won't be getting as much free range time!

Sorry if I've been confusing....Winston is my rabbit at home....he is wonderful and has never bitten me. The school rabbit (let's call him H) lives at school in term time and is the one that bit me. I'm not responsible for him in any way, it's just that because I live walking distance from the school and really got along with H I offered to help out at weekends by going in to see him....but I haven't done that in a while now because he has been getting more and more aggressive towards me. He bit me this morning (a school day) when I went over to say hello to him whilst he was in his pen in the classroom. I think the headteacher/other senior staff are going to have a word with the class teacher (his owner) about him being let out when the children and other staff are around. I am hoping that she will decide to take him home as he won't be getting as much free range time!

Oh i see, sorry for the confusion :oops: So H lives alone in a cage inside the classroom lol? Yes i agree, i think he should be taken home and to stay at home as he clearly isn't happy in the environment he is currently in especially as he is now showing aggression. Anyway I do hope it gets sorted. Its a bit of a situation isn't it? xx

Oh i see, sorry for the confusion :oops: So H lives alone in a cage inside the classroom lol? Yes i agree, i think he should be taken home and to stay at home as he clearly isn't happy in the environment he is currently in especially as he is now showing aggression. Anyway I do hope it gets sorted. Its a bit of a situation isn't it? xx

Yes that's correct!

It's such a difficult situation because I get along really well with the teacher and H is a lovely rabbit :(

Just to (rather late) answer your question ...

I agree with Tracy - never had any problems with rabbit bites and never had a Tetanus injection in my life .. so I reckon washing and putting salon on will be fine :thumb:

Of more concern is the situation with the poor rabbit .....

When I first got my Darcy she was very aggressive. She had lived in a cage meant for a guinea pig or something small. She never left that cage. So when I got her she was a biter but after working with her she now is the nicest rabbit. I bet Mr. Bunny is lonely and frustrated. Perhaps the constant sound from the kids bother him, rabbits are mostly active at night so maybe he isnt resting well with the noise. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to (rather late) answer your question ...

I agree with Tracy - never had any problems with rabbit bites and never had a Tetanus injection in my life .. so I reckon washing and putting salon on will be fine :thumb:

Of more concern is the situation with the poor rabbit .....

Okay thank you.

I do agree it's not the most ideal situation for the rabbit. However I don't want this to turn into a debate about his welfare. He is very much loved and cared for by his owner and the rest of us staff, and the children. I really don't feel like it is my place to criticise!

Personally I don't think it is appropriate to keep a rabbit on it's own in such a noisy environment, and being left on it's own for most of the weekend. It doesn't sound like a very happy rabbit and could be getting stressed and frustrated, hence the aggression. Just my opinion of course.

Back