• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mosquitoes

Colleen

New Kit
Hey everyone, I have two Flemish rabbits and they have their home outside, we have mosquitoes out now and I was wondering because I have never had rabbits outside before always indoor rabbits, do mosquitoes harm them, should I put baby inspect repellent on them, they are only 3 months old. Thanks for any replies,

No, insect repellent has pesticides in it which could be potentially fatal.

I wouldn't put anything on them, I don't think there's anything that would be safe. I had outdoor rabbits growing up, up until 2009, and I live in Florida so you can imagine how many mosquitoes were/are around. I don't think mosquitoes cause rabbits any harm besides being annoying hovering around.

Are your bunnies vaccinated? Insects like midges and Mosquitos can spread diseases like myxomatosis so I would definitely think about getting them vaccinated if they aren't already x

What Holhol said - mosquitoes spread Myxo and if your buns arent vaccinated I would do so as soon as possible. With regard to keeping annoying bugs away in general this stuff is great - all natural and very safe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASSISI-FL...ll-/221768115012?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

It wont protect against myxo though so they still need a vacc

Planting lavender around their accommodation is also good for deterring flying insects, its safe if they nibble it too

Are your bunnies vaccinated? Insects like midges and Mosquitos can spread diseases like myxomatosis so I would definitely think about getting them vaccinated if they aren't already x

I think they probably live in the US or Canada (I never hear of anyone in the UK having flemish giants) so no myxi vaccines are available/necessary. There's been a few reported cases of myxi on the Pacific coast but for the most part it's very rare in the US. But yeah if you do live in the UK then vaccinating them would definitely be a good idea!

I think the OP might be somewhere overseas so might not have / need Myxi vaccination.

If in the UK, then yes, vaccination is essential.

Thanks everyone so much, feel better, now, haven't had time to introduce myself, really busy at the moment but will be back for sure to chat, and show pictures of my two guys, etc I do live in Ontario, Canada. thanks again. Colleen

Back