• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you weigh your Rabbits.

lenslady

Alpha Buck
For those of you that weigh your Rabbits, how do you do it? Are they special scales? I would kind of like to get a set as i think i should weigh as a weekly routine because I think it would give me a good indication of their health. I know they get weighed at the vets but mine won't be at the vets on a weekly basis. I do worry that I am over feeding but then I have young Giant Rabbits so they need a lot more. xx

For those of you that weigh your Rabbits, how do you do it? Are they special scales? I would kind of like to get a set as i think i should weigh as a weekly routine because I think it would give me a good indication of their health. I know they get weighed at the vets but mine won't be at the vets on a weekly basis. I do worry that I am over feeding but then I have young Giant Rabbits so they need a lot more. xx

I use a set of digital Baby Scales :)

I use kitchen scales and put a tray with treats in otherwise it's impossible to get them to stay in the same place

I use normal kitchen weighing scales with a big bowl! I put a towel in the bowl and some food! But she won't be able to fit in a couple of months so I'll have to think of another solution!

Just out of interest Bella (french lop) weighed 5.2 pounds at 3 months 1 week! Is that a lot, too much or too low!?

I have also just weighed Burberry in the scales and he is well under weight! He only weighs 4 pounds in weight! and he is almost 10 weeks, so I messaged my daughter inlaw to check that he was infact 8 weeks when she got him and she has just informed me she didn't know :censored: and she has told me that she can't remember where she got him from :cry: I am now feeling very suspicious that he is a lot younger. xx

I have also just weighed Burberry in the scales and he is well under weight! He only weighs 4 pounds in weight! and he is almost 10 weeks, so I messaged my daughter inlaw to check that he was infact 8 weeks when she got him and she has just informed me she didn't know :censored: and she has told me that she can't remember where she got him from :cry: I am now feeling very suspicious that he is a lot younger. xx

Many of my own bunnies were dwarfs and even when I owned littermates their sizes and weights varied with the same diet, etc. If he is too thin, it will show most around his ribs and backbone. A vet visit is recommended if a young bunny is eating well and not gaining weight.

Last edited:
Many of my own bunnies were dwarfs and even when I owned littermates their sizes and weights varied with the same diet, etc. If he is too thin, it will show most around his ribs and backbone. A vet visit is recommended if a young bunny is eating well and not gaining weight.

He has definitely grown in the time we have had him and he is fatter, i just think his weight isn't right for a 10 week old Giant, he is 10 weeks tomorrow or so i have been told. So not worried about the fact he isn't gaining because he has done but i have suspicions he is younger, he still has a very young baby face. Will just keep checking him. I only used the cooking scales so it might be wrong. I definitely want to purchase some digi ones to keep a check on this properly. xx

should I try him on some porridge oats? xxx

No harm in giving him a pinch (though others will disagree with me :lol: ) and a pinch of sunflower seeds ...

For scales, I use my old fashioned kitchen scales, as they are very accurate. They sit in the scoop. However, it won't work when they get over 2.5kg in weight :shock:

No harm in giving him a pinch (though others will disagree with me :lol: ) and a pinch of sunflower seeds ...

For scales, I use my old fashioned kitchen scales, as they are very accurate. They sit in the scoop. However, it won't work when they get over 2.5kg in weight :shock:

Thank you, i tried him on them and he really doesn't like them at all lol, I'm not sure wether to start him on fresh, I haven't done so as yet because I was advised not to give it to them before 4 months.

Do you have any idea on what weight in general giants should be? I can't find any guidelines online. xx

Just weighed Bella again, she is 6lb 8 and just turned 16 weeks so perhaps a bit big but I'm sure she's not fat :)

Ooh that is great :D I dont think she is fat, she sounds a good weight for her breed. I only used the home digi scales with a flat baking tray on top so my results could be totally wrong. I have orderd some baby scales :D as they have a nice sized base for the rabbits to fit on. It is all a bit worring isnt it? wether they are the right size ect xxx

http://www.pfma.org.uk/_assets/weigh-in-wednesday/pet-size-o-meter-rabbit.pdf

Have you tried body condition scoring rather than looking at average breed weights? Weight can vary even within a breed so it's quite often best to look at the individual rabbits BCS :)

and baby scales are good for weighing as others have said :) x

Wow thats great and very informative. Mine feel more like number 3 a little of number 4 with Gypsy but she is a bulkier breed. Thanks for the link, great stuff :love:

xx

Ooh that is great :D I dont think she is fat, she sounds a good weight for her breed. I only used the home digi scales with a flat baking tray on top so my results could be totally wrong. I have orderd some baby scales :D as they have a nice sized base for the rabbits to fit on. It is all a bit worring isnt it? wether they are the right size ect xxx

Please could you link me to the ones you got? I seem to spend every minute of the day at the moment worrying about Bellatrix in some way or the other! It must be even worse having 2 little ones and one coming soon! I realised today that Bellatrix is very nearly too big to fit on my scales!

Back