• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor little Hoppy Harry

HarrytheHop

Young Bun
I haven't been on here for a while. I got Hoppy this time last year and his wifebun Petal later in the summer and we've been happily rabbiting on.
I went on holiday last week and left the two of them at a rabbit boarding place. We've had photos and emails of them all week and I spoke to the woman this morning who said they were fine. Then I got a call later today to say she'd gone to check on them and Hoppy had died. Petal was sitting by his side. I'm in total shock. I've just gone to get them now. I can't stop crying. He was such a lovely lovely little thing, so friendly and affectionate.

Oh no, what a dreadful shock. I am so very sorry. :cry: Sending a hug. xx

Sleep well little Hoppy. xx

My first reaction was anger - I felt like the rabbit woman had been negligent in some way or hadn't noticed there was something wrong. But when I went round there she was obviously upset and shocked too.
I feel guilty now that I went away on holiday and left him. I can't stand the thought of him feeling poorly in a strange place. My only comfort is that he had Petal with him and that he hadn't suffered too much as it seemed to happen quickly.
My mother in law is staying and she thinks I'm mental being so upset. It's just made me realise the real downside of rabbits - they work there way into your heart and then are so suddenly gone.
I just hope he realised how loved he was and that I tried to do my best for him.

I'm so sorry. Bunnies do find a place in your heart and I'm convinced they understand a lot, so I'm sure he'll know how much you loved him. He wasn't alone when he left, not only was Petal physically there but you were thinking of him too. I hope that helps a little bit x

My first reaction was anger - I felt like the rabbit woman had been negligent in some way or hadn't noticed there was something wrong. But when I went round there she was obviously upset and shocked too.
I feel guilty now that I went away on holiday and left him. I can't stand the thought of him feeling poorly in a strange place. My only comfort is that he had Petal with him and that he hadn't suffered too much as it seemed to happen quickly.
My mother in law is staying and she thinks I'm mental being so upset. It's just made me realise the real downside of rabbits - they work there way into your heart and then are so suddenly gone.
I just hope he realised how loved he was and that I tried to do my best for him.

Don't feel guilty, you weren't to know this would happen. Like you say he was with Petal so he wasn't on his own.

With rabbits these things happen so fast. Often no one is to blame. I'm glad Petal was with him and he passed quickly.

They do work their way into your heart. It's so painful. How's Petal doing?

I agree with everyone. And it is also natural to feel anger and want something or someone to blame. But you cant blame yourself for goiungg away. its (harsh as it can be) just one of those things that are sometimes outside control

Thanks for your kind words everyone. He really was a special little bun and I'm really going to miss him. Petal is a tricky character, so it's hard to gauge how she's taking it. She's behaving normally in as much as she's running to hide when I open the playhouse door. I'm keeping a close eye on her but I know it'll stress her out more if I try to cuddle and comfort her. It's been awful though knowing she's outside on her own tonight. She's a rescue bun who was originally in a house with 50 rabbits, so to say she's not used to being on her own is an understatement. We're moving house in a couple of weeks so I'll have to leave it until after that but then I'll look to match her up with another rescue bun. I've got mixed feelings about it as this experience has made me wary of giving my heart so wholeheartedly to another bun, but I must do what's best for Petal.

Back