• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Increased water and urination

AmberNikSee

Alpha Buck
After Bofurs bout with stasis we changed up his diet- fresh salads twice a day, no pellets or treats (unless we're rewarding him for letting us pick him up) and we switched up his hay in hopes to get him to eat some and now that he's got orchard grass he eats it like a mad man (yay!)
However we've noticed that he has been drinking more water and there has been a marked increase in urine output-it was puddling on his newspaper and left his feet soaked so a litter switch to piddle pads happened. Urine doesn't look sludgy and is his average color, and poos are normal also.
Could it just be from his diet change? Because he's eating hay (I assume that might make them thirsty?)
Or because of the weather change perhaps?
Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated!

Sorry I'm just bumping up. Though diet change is a common factor in changing how they digest then dispose of waste - it's not impossible especially if that's a big change for Bofur (love the name).

After Bofurs bout with stasis we changed up his diet- fresh salads twice a day, no pellets or treats (unless we're rewarding him for letting us pick him up) and we switched up his hay in hopes to get him to eat some and now that he's got orchard grass he eats it like a mad man (yay!)
However we've noticed that he has been drinking more water and there has been a marked increase in urine output-it was puddling on his newspaper and left his feet soaked so a litter switch to piddle pads happened. Urine doesn't look sludgy and is his average color, and poos are normal also.
Could it just be from his diet change? Because he's eating hay (I assume that might make them thirsty?)
Or because of the weather change perhaps?
Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated!

Eating a lot more hay will often lead to an increased water intake. That then obviously causing an increased urine output. Warmer weather can contribute to an increased water consumption too. As long as your Rabbit is maintaining his weight, is eating well and has a normal poo output I would not be too concerned. If he were to be losing weight and/or if he were to be leaking wee/losing litter tray habits that would merit another Vet check. As would any return of gastrointestinal issues. I am sure that you will keep a close eye on him and contact your Vet promptly if necessary xx

Sorry I'm just bumping up. Though diet change is a common factor in changing how they digest then dispose of waste - it's not impossible especially if that's a big change for Bofur (love the name).

Yes, the diet change sounds like a reason for more drinking. I also find my buns drink a lot more as the weather gets warmer ..
Keep an eye out for any other symptoms ... but hopefully all is fine x

Thank you all very much! I suspected as much but wanted to be sure I wasn't just being optimistic and symptom blind! Very much appreciate the speedy responses!

Back