• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neuter and spay on the same day

lillylau

Warren Scout
my two rabbits jess (male) and Zoe are going to be spayed and neutered next Monday, Zoe is a rescue we took in last week she is 18 months and has spent that time in a 2ft hutch with only excess to a run once every 4 weeks :(, she now has a 5ft hutch with a run attached, jess is our rew he is an outside bun also, both of their runs and hutches are together in the garden next to each other but with separation divides so they cant get to each other, I intend on bonding them after the op and once homones have died down about 6 weeks after I think,
As they are due to be neutered on the same day I will be using to large dog crates inside my house, I am thinking in my bedroom, I have been reading a little on what to expect afterwards and would be greatfull for any information offered as to what to feed to help them, also as they are next to each other now will it be ok for the two crates to be next to each other with a gap apart ? am I doing the right thing getting them both done at the same time ?

Sorry, I don't know much in bonding and yet not much in spaying/neutering so I'm just bumping up for you :)

Also to say, 6 weeks may be enough though what I do know is it can take longer than this for hormones to settle. It can sometimes be a little individual so play it by ear and see how you think they are doing at 6 weeks but keep in mind the may need a few months.

my two rabbits jess (male) and Zoe are going to be spayed and neutered next Monday, Zoe is a rescue we took in last week she is 18 months and has spent that time in a 2ft hutch with only excess to a run once every 4 weeks :(, she now has a 5ft hutch with a run attached, jess is our rew he is an outside bun also, both of their runs and hutches are together in the garden next to each other but with separation divides so they cant get to each other, I intend on bonding them after the op and once homones have died down about 6 weeks after I think,
As they are due to be neutered on the same day I will be using to large dog crates inside my house, I am thinking in my bedroom, I have been reading a little on what to expect afterwards and would be greatfull for any information offered as to what to feed to help them, also as they are next to each other now will it be ok for the two crates to be next to each other with a gap apart ? am I doing the right thing getting them both done at the same time ?

Having them neutered at the same time is Ok and so is having them in dog crates next to each other whilst they recover. Just make sure there is a big enough gap between the crates so they cant nip each other :)

They should be discharged home with an post surgical care sheet and also some anti-inflammatory analgesia (eg Metacam) for you to administer. Bucks may only need it for a day or two, a spay is a more invasive op' and Does may need analgesic cover for about 5 days.

Rabbits tend to prefer to drink water from a bowl rather than a bottle after a GA, they also often have a drink before they start to nibble at some food. Offer them their usual hay and pellet feed. Fresh herbs usually tempt a Rabbit to eat, especially fresh Coriander. Dont worry if they do not eat any pellets for the first 24 hours. But they should both nibble at some hay and eat some fresh herbs/veg. Hand picked grass can be offered too, but in small amounts if they are not used to grazing on grass.

They should both have poo'd and wee'd before they are discharged home and they should continue to do so. Poos may be less in quantity, smaller, mis-shaped and/or soft for about 24 hours after the GA. But this should resolve quite quickly. If either of them fail to have any output overnight then you would need to contact the Vet again who may want to re-examine them and possibly prescribe gut motility medication. Hopefully this will not be necessary though and both Rabbits will make an uneventful recovery . Also, you will need to check the surgical wounds a couple of times a day to make sure that they look clean and dry with no signs of redness or a lot of swelling.

Hope all goes well :)

Back