• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue's in and about Hampshire or surrounding areas?

Shrinkie

Mama Doe
This is a bit premature but I want to know my options well in advance so I can get to know rescues (and them me).

But I've been thinking about where I would like to find a man for Rosie in the future. Without boring everyone with the specifics it's just that we are wanting a small shelter if possible and around here that's near impossible. We are happy to travel though (not entirely sure of the ins and outs of how it'd work, that'd be up to the individual place I guess) and as my partner comes from Hampshire, we figure that a rescue in Hampshire/neighbouring areas will be reasonable.

Basically we are asking if anyone knows of good places to try and contact in around Hampshire and neighbouring areas or anywhere else if they are recommended and known well? Thanks

Southampton Rabbit Rescue in, well, Southampton :lol:

Have you tried checking with Louise at Halfpenny Farm? I know she often has bunnies they are fostering for others

:lol: well, that's fair enough I suppose to find them in Southampton.

Oh I didn't, I thought that Halfpenny was a "animal stay to be kept" so I didn't realise at all that they were ever fostered out :oops:

I forgot to mention, we've had a look online and such but there are so many and some we seen pictures of and I've had some reservation about to be honest, but it's just recommendations come so much better i find. Though we seen one I think was Westbury? So can dot about if the place is right

Last edited:
Only two I would personally recommend in and around Hampshire - The Rabbit Crossing in Windlesham (although only rehome within a 20 mile radius so will depend on where you are located) and Reading Rabbit Rescue, in Reading.

Ok, I realise neither of those are in Hampshire :lol: but both well worth travelling for. Both rescues very knowledgeable, very honest about their bunnies and will bond on-site. Obvs neutered and vaccinated too.

No experience with the Blue Cross Southampton or RSPCA Stubbington Ark (although a colleague adopted a pair of rabbits from SA and they didn't homecheck, so that's not great) but they should at least neuter and vaccinate rabbits, which is a must.

Also heard positive things about Cottontails in Wiltshire, but again no personal experience. I'm not sure they bond on-site?

Would avoid rescues that don't routinely neuter/vacc with a bargepole, to be honest. There are some around.

Just over the border into West Sussex is the cat and rabbit rescue centre. They are in Sidlesham which is just south of Chichester, depending on where you are you might just be in their rehoming area! All their buns are vaccinated and neutered but they do require that all of their bunnies are bonded by them on site.

Before they implemented that rule they had some truly horrible things happen when inexperienced new owners tried to bond so it is a rule they are very strict about! I was a staff member who did bonding a as part of my job and still when I adopted a girly for my Thor they had to go in to bond :lol: even though I still did the actual introduction myself!

I thought you were in Scotland! :shock:

Just over the border into West Sussex is the cat and rabbit rescue centre. All their buns are vaccinated and neutered but they do require that all of their bunnies are bonded by them on site.

Before they implemented that rule they had some truly horrible things happen when inexperienced new owners tried to bond so it is a rule they are very strict about! I was a staff member who did bonding a as part of my job and still when I adopted a girly for my Thor they had to go in to bond :lol: even though I still did the actual introduction myself!

I thought you were in Scotland! :shock:

Ahh! Sorry Hele - how could I forget CRRC!?!

thanks for the advice. I've seen cottontails a lot - it kept popping up for me, though I am nowhere near they do bond I'm sure, when I read all excited thinking they were in Edniburgh as it's what I had googled :lol:

Then the Rabbit Crossing will be out, I'm waaaayyy out that mark. I know it'll be harder because it is such a difference and the reality may be I won't be able to find anyone down there either because of where I live but I'd rather try before going to the big muscles. Yeah if they don't neuter or vaccinate (or have plans to if it's younger or circumstantial, I realise sometimes it can't just happen there and then) then I've my doubts. But also saw one where the pens were all the guineapig/rabbit cages... not sure I really want to support that either - can't remember where but if they've a lot of rabbits then I'm not sure how they fully exercise them and also wouldn't feel happy with them homechecking me frankly as if that's their standard then what are they judging mine on?

Anyway wee rant over. I will have a look at the place :):) Thanks

Are you in fife just now? Fairly Beloved cover all of Scotland :)

Are they still going? I have once tried to ring to no answer and also e-mail twice and I've never had a response from them, so I had assumed they weren't in operation anymore. Hmm....might have to try again.

Yeah we are in Scotland but as I say I've just come across a barrage of broken links, no answers, people with "now closed" and places which take in animals to keep and give a wonderful life to. It's been difficult, very difficult to find a place that is in operation, rehomes and answers their phone/e-mails. It's why we started to consider the idea of if we can go further afield, then we may but it's such a minefield and would love some input so we could explore recommended places. It may be no one will rehome to us as we are far away, which is fine but I'm happy to try :D

thanks for the advice. I've seen cottontails a lot - it kept popping up for me, though I am nowhere near they do bond I'm sure, when I read all excited thinking they were in Edniburgh as it's what I had googled :lol:

Then the Rabbit Crossing will be out, I'm waaaayyy out that mark. I know it'll be harder because it is such a difference and the reality may be I won't be able to find anyone down there either because of where I live but I'd rather try before going to the big muscles. Yeah if they don't neuter or vaccinate (or have plans to if it's younger or circumstantial, I realise sometimes it can't just happen there and then) then I've my doubts. But also saw one where the pens were all the guineapig/rabbit cages... not sure I really want to support that either - can't remember where but if they've a lot of rabbits then I'm not sure how they fully exercise them and also wouldn't feel happy with them homechecking me frankly as if that's their standard then what are they judging mine on?

Anyway wee rant over. I will have a look at the place :):) Thanks

Both TRC and RRR have decent sized accommodation, and both have size minimums for rehoming :) I'm like you if they keep the rescue buns in small hutches it immediately puts me off.

Are they still going? I have once tried to ring to no answer and also e-mail twice and I've never had a response from them, so I had assumed they weren't in operation anymore. Hmm....might have to try again.

Yeah we are in Scotland but as I say I've just come across a barrage of broken links, no answers, people with "now closed" and places which take in animals to keep and give a wonderful life to. It's been difficult, very difficult to find a place that is in operation, rehomes and answers their phone/e-mails. It's why we started to consider the idea of if we can go further afield, then we may but it's such a minefield and would love some input so we could explore recommended places. It may be no one will rehome to us as we are far away, which is fine but I'm happy to try :D

Aye, they are. They answer FB messages OK, maybe try there? https://www.facebook.com/FairlyBelovedRabbitCare?ref=ts&fref=ts

There is also the SPCA, I got my Hollie from there and bonded myself.

Fantastic thanks guys for all your input and ill try fb in that case with fairly as i think it makes sense to support local first.

:):)

Back