• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long should space be restricted after a neuter/spay?

ImoT

Mama Doe
So Winston was neutered last Tuesday, and the vets have advised me to restrict his space until at least next Friday. His neuter was more complex than usual as they had to go in through his abdomen to get an undescended testicle. He has bounced back though and is getting a bit frustrated with being in a pen, he is used to being free range. I am thinking of starting to let him out of his pen when I get home from work in the evenings. Do you think this would be okay as long as I don't let him jump on the sofa or get too overexcited?

Also, how long should I keep giving him metacam? I am still giving it once daily as I really don't want him to be in pain. Is it safe to give as a precaution until he has had his last post op check on Friday?

I must admit that I gave up trying to keep my 4 girls quiet following their spay ops. I tried to keep them in their shed but they were throwing themselves at the cat flaps so I let them out and they were much happier. Not sure about your Metacam query. Good luck!

Hi,

Yeah I'm the same as joybell sorry.. My girly spent her first night in her cage, but felt much relaxed being out as usual. I just prevented her from jumping on anything abnormal she was fine! :)

Hope Winston has a speedy recovery xxx

When my bridge bun Cleo was spayed we made all the preparation,towels and shredded paper etc in her cage.She would have cage rest and be kept quiet and warm.We brought her large cage into the living room so she could be with, see etc her husbun Rio.They both had the run of the house normally.Four hours after her op i quietly opened her cage to put food in,she was lying quietly suddenly up she jumps and springs out the cage! me and my niece in a panic trying to usher her back to the cage.She wasn't having it,she wanted to be with her man.In the end we left her,she just snuggled up to him and was fine.A week later she had her stitches checked,only one had opened.her scar healed great and the fur was already growing back..little madam.

So Winston was neutered last Tuesday, and the vets have advised me to restrict his space until at least next Friday. His neuter was more complex than usual as they had to go in through his abdomen to get an undescended testicle. He has bounced back though and is getting a bit frustrated with being in a pen, he is used to being free range. I am thinking of starting to let him out of his pen when I get home from work in the evenings. Do you think this would be okay as long as I don't let him jump on the sofa or get too overexcited?

Also, how long should I keep giving him metacam? I am still giving it once daily as I really don't want him to be in pain. Is it safe to give as a precaution until he has had his last post op check on Friday?

I would allow him a bit of time out whilst you can supervise him and as you say, prevent him from jumping up onto things. Re the Metacam, you could miss one dose and monitor how he goes. If his input and output remains good and he is bright within himself then he probably no longer needs it. You could always give the Vet another call this morning to check. Keeping him on it til Friday is unlikely to cause any serious harm, but if he does not really need it then it would obviously be better that he did not have it :)

Thank you everyone for yours replies.

I would allow him a bit of time out whilst you can supervise him and as you say, prevent him from jumping up onto things. Re the Metacam, you could miss one dose and monitor how he goes. If his input and output remains good and he is bright within himself then he probably no longer needs it. You could always give the Vet another call this morning to check. Keeping him on it til Friday is unlikely to cause any serious harm, but if he does not really need it then it would obviously be better that he did not have it :)

Okay, I've given him a dose this morning but I will phone the vet when I am home from work to ask about the metacam. I'll start letting him out for supervised play time too!

I would treat him like a female neuter. I cage rest for a week then gradually increase their time out starting with half an hour to make sure they don't go crazy and do any damage internally.

I would treat him like a female neuter. I cage rest for a week then gradually increase their time out starting with half an hour to make sure they don't go crazy and do any damage internally.

I was going to say this sort of thing, as it was more than a normal male neuter op. If he's bright in himself, I personally would tailor off the Metacam, but be guided by what you feel and what the vet said.

I hope he continues to recover well :thumb:

I have phoned the vet. They said I can stop his metacam if he seems well (which he does!!) but I can put him back on it if I feel he deteriorates when he is off it. They also said I can start letting him out for a bit of free range time as long as he doesn't climb any stairs (or jump on anything) and he doesn't get too overexcited. They said in 5 or 6 days he can be completely free range again. I just let him out for about 15 minutes but he was going to mad (running around, binkying etc) that I freaked out and put him back in his pen…he started to chew the bars to show his unhappiness! His pen is a fairly decent size considering he is supposed to be contained in a small space, but I still feel bad though :(

Cruel to be kind I'm afraid. Better he is unhappy in his pen for a few more days than back on the operating table or ending up in stasis due to pain.

Once he is back out he will soon forget all about it :)

Cruel to be kind I'm afraid. Better he is unhappy in his pen for a few more days than back on the operating table or ending up in stasis due to pain.

Once he is back out he will soon forget all about it :)

Very true! I let him have a little bit of free range time again and he was a little bit calmer thankfully :)

Back