PDA

View Full Version : Please may I have some vibes for Scrappy. U/D doing much better

Scrappy's Little Helper
31-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Hi all :wave:

Scrappy is going in for her spay tomorrow and I know I'm going to be worrying myself silly so would really appreciate some vibes for her.

She's about 4 years old, unfortunately her previous owner never had her done. I'm not entirely sure why, I can only assume they thought it wasn't necessary as she's always been a single house bun. My main reason for wanting her spayed is for health reasons, ie to prevent her getting tumours in the future. However, I do have a niggling worry at the back of my mind that, given her age, tumours may already have had a chance to develop. :( Even though I know I shouldn't dwell on "what-ifs".

In time honoured RU tradition, I will be spending most of tomorrow cleaning to try and keep myself occupied. I'll also make temporary restrictions on her space to stop her jumping onto anything (she has 24/7 free range of the whole flat at the moment).

She does have a corner litter tray but I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to temporarily replace that with just a pile of care fresh and hay? She does have a piece of vet bed as well.

I've stocked up on her favourite foods (fresh and dried) and hay to tempt her to eat afterwards and the vet will be giving me some critical care tomorrow as a back up.

Any other tips and recommendations on post-spay care would be very much appreciated :thumb:

Thanks!

Ruthyjones89
31-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Sending millions if vibes for scrappy! And hope the morning goes nice & quick for you xxx

Pets mum
31-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Hi I'm sure she will be fine, but I know you will still worry, we all do. I cleaned the house top to bottom when Treacle was being done. Ask the vet to ring you once she's awake (bun not the vet :D) then you can relax a bit. I kept Treacle on newspaper and hay, in an indoor enclosure, with her fleece, for a couple of days. It's amazing how quickly they recover. Sending vibes for Scrappy, let us know when she's home safe xxxx

lenslady
31-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Sending lots of vibes :love:, hope it goes smoothly ;) xx

joey&boo
31-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Wishing you an uneventful spay & speedy recovery Scrappy

MightyMax
31-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Lots of Scrappy-shaped vibes whizzing over ........ :wave:

mini lop1
31-05-2015, 08:59 PM
wishing her well xx

Babsie
31-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Thinking of you tomorrow Scrappy!

bunny momma
31-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Sending vibes to Scrappy.

Rita
31-05-2015, 09:16 PM
hello wishing Scrappy a safe op tomorrow. my little boy is in tomorrow also. hope we both have a happy outcome and they come home eating and pooing.

ninny40
31-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Sending scrappy good luck vibes for tomorrow - let us know how she gets on. :thumb:

ImoT
31-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Scrappy, keep us updated :)

Tracy
31-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Scrappy. Will keep you both in my thoughts tomorrow. xx

susie bun
31-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Adding my vibes for Scrappy. x

Scrappy's Little Helper
31-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks so much for the vibes everyone - it's very much appreciated :) xx

She's a big fan of cuddly toys so I've been busy making her a soft penguin. That should keep me occupied for the rest of the evening and most of tomorrow. I'm dropping her off at 8.30 and they should be doing the procedure in the early afternoon so I'm hoping I won't have to wait too long to hear from the vets.

Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know as soon as I have some news xx

Scrappy's Little Helper
31-05-2015, 09:44 PM
hello wishing Scrappy a safe op tomorrow. my little boy is in tomorrow also. hope we both have a happy outcome and they come home eating and pooing.

Aww thanks Rita. Really hope things go well for you little boy tomorrow xx

Babsie
31-05-2015, 09:48 PM

Good luck to your little lad tomorrow!

Ruthyjones89
01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi, hope you don't mind.. but Any news yet?

Sending lots of vibes & thinking of you both xx

Scrappy's Little Helper
01-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay on news. The vets rang about 5 mins ago and she seems to have gotten through it ok. She's in recovery at the moment and they're just waiting for her to start eating (I took in three large Tupperware boxes of food so I'm hoping there will be something in there to tempt her!). All being well I should be able to pick her up at 6 this evening.

Been a bit of a tense afternoon. I was expecting to hear something around 2 but it turns out they had to do her spay a bit later than expected. She also had her teeth burred and tear duct flushed as well so she was under the anaesthetic a bit longer than usual. Good news also that they couldn't see any signs of tumours which has put my mind at rest a lot.

I don't why, but I burst into tears after I got off the phone from the vets. I think it must have been the build up of tension.

Thanks so much again everyone for your vibes and well wishes. :wave:

ImoT
01-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay on news. The vets rang about 5 mins ago and she seems to have gotten through it ok. She's in recovery at the moment and they're just waiting for her to start eating (I took in three large Tupperware boxes of food so I'm hoping there will be something in there to tempt her!). All being well I should be able to pick her up at 6 this evening.

Been a bit of a tense afternoon. I was expecting to hear something around 2 but it turns out they had to do her spay a bit later than expected. She also had her teeth burred and tear duct flushed as well so she was under the anaesthetic a bit longer than usual. Good news also that they couldn't see any signs of tumours which has put my mind at rest a lot.

I don't why, but I burst into tears after I got off the phone from the vets. I think it must have been the build up of tension.

Really glad to hear it went well :) Fingers crossed she starts eating soon. Keep us updated!

I was a teary mess when Winston had his neuter, I think tears are perfectly normal for bunny parents!!

Fluffybunny54
01-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Loads of happy, healthy, lucky vibes for Scrappy for tomorrow.

Pets mum
01-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Hope Scrappy will be home safe and sound to her new penguin friend xxxxxx

Tracy
01-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Glad that Scrappy has come through her op. Hope she starts munching again very soon. xx

Babybella
01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Hope Scrappy gets to come home soon. I put a litter tray in for Bella but for the first day she didn't use it and would just go next to it, I guess she knew the sawdust would irritate her. She was on fleece blankets though so that absorbed it.

Scrappy's Little Helper
01-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone. Just got back home with Scrappy. She hasn't eaten by herself yet since her op so they gave her some critical care at the vets and they've also given me a supply in case she continues not to eat. I've put a small piece of apple and some fresh greens in front of her to try and tempt her but no interest so far. I'm going to be monitoring her very closely the rest of tonight and will of course syringe feed her if necessary.

mini lop1
01-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone. Just got back home with Scrappy. She hasn't eaten by herself yet since her op so they gave her some critical care at the vets and they've also given me a supply in case she continues not to eat. I've put a small piece of apple and some fresh greens in front of her to try and tempt her but no interest so far. I'm going to be monitoring her very closely the rest of tonight and will of course syringe feed her if necessary.

bless her, glad the op went ok and hope she starts to eat soon, have you tried any fresh herbs basil is a favourite here, I used to get sox basil and parsley when he was poorly

bunny momma
01-06-2015, 07:35 PM

So glad to hear she is coming around after her surgery and there were no signs of tumors. She may have some discomfort from dental and spay, so you should ask your vet for some Metacam. Rabbits hide pain and discomfort very well and it can put them off their eating.

Also, you may want to keep your bun in a smaller area for a few days. While controlled hopping is good, some bunnies try to do too much too quickly. Ask your vet for thoughts on how much is too much.

You mentioned you are making her a new soft toy. I am sure she will enjoy it a lot.

Tracy
01-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Glad that Scrappy is home, she'll feel much better in familiar surroundings. Bunnies recover from spays at different rates, so don't be too surprised if she doesn't eat straight away. I've had one that started eating almost straight after and then another who I had to syringe feed for several days. You just need to be sure that any pain/discomfort is being covered by ongoing Metacam.

Herbs are a favourite for getting my bunnies to eat after an anaesthetic. Also wild plants like dandelion and plantain always seem to get mine nibbling again.

Get well soon Scrappy :wave:

Rita
01-06-2015, 08:08 PM
i am so glad that everything went well for your Scrappy. my little man has been kept in at the vets over night. but hopefully he will be better for me to collect tomorrow. Poor little man.

Scrappy's Little Helper
01-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. She hasn't eaten yet so it looks like I will need to syringe feed. She last had a feed at 5pm. If she still isn't eating, what time would people recommend I do the next feed? The vet has recommended a minimum of 7 tablespoons over the course of a day. I have some dandelion and plantain so I'll try those as well in the meantime. No interest in herbs either. I did get some basil and parsely in on the off chance but to be honest she's never really been keen on them.

I've just brewed some apple and pear tea. Just waiting for that to cool and I'll give that to her as well. Hopefully the aromas should stimulate her a bit. I do have some metacam, next dosage is due later tonight.

At the moment she's just sitting in an upside box I set up for her. I do remember she was quite subdued for a couple of days after the GA she had for her dental last November and picked at her food but I am checking on her regularly. Main priority at the moment is making sure she has some food in her tummy, one way or the other :?

ImoT
01-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. She hasn't eaten yet so it looks like I will need to syringe feed. She last had a feed at 5pm. If she still isn't eating, what time would people recommend I do the next feed? The vet has recommended a minimum of 7 tablespoons over the course of a day. I have some dandelion and plantain so I'll try those as well in the meantime. No interest in herbs either. I did get some basil and parsely in on the off chance but to be honest she's never really been keen on them.

I've just brewed some apple and pear tea. Just waiting for that to cool and I'll give that to her as well. Hopefully the aromas should stimulate her a bit. I do have some metacam, next dosage is due later tonight.

At the moment she's just sitting in an upside box I set up for her. I do remember she was quite subdued for a couple of days after the GA she had for her dental last November and picked at her food but I am checking on her regularly. Main priority at the moment is making sure she has some food in her tummy, one way or the other :?

Aww bless her, really hope she starts eating soon. I'm afraid I don't have any advice re what time to syringe feed but has she been given metacam and have you been given some to administer at home?

Tracy
01-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I recently had to syringe feed one of mine for 10 days after he had his incisors removed. I aimed for every 2-3 hours when I was at home and did 15ml of mixed critical care per feed. Scooby is quite small (1.8kg) and 15ml per feed was about right for him. I aimed for 90ml of mixed feed per 24 hours and this kept his weight stable during the period of time he wasn't eating. I had to fit it in around work, so there were unavoidable gaps in his feeding regime on some days, but on work days I just had to get up very early and go to bed very late in order to get the right number of feeds in.

Scrappy's Little Helper
01-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Hmm not a huge success with the critical care. I think I made the mixture too thick as it got stuck in the syringe. She's clearly not keen, even with the addition of the Ella's kitchen apple as she spat a lot out. A lot has ended up down her front. I tried giving her 10mls and I doubt very much actually got in. I'll have to make the next dosage more watery so it goes through more easily.

I did manage to get the metacam down. Annoyingly it's the cat version so larger volume in terms of liquid. She fought me half way through. Good in one way that she has a bit of spirit but it has also worried me because I'm terrified that she'll rip her stitches. I'm giving her a break for a bit. I've left her some pureed apple and some greens again, hoping that the metacam will kick in enough to make her want to eat by herself. I know I won't be going to bed tonight until I'm happy she's got a decent enough amount of food in her. :(

On a positive note, she has done at least one poo this evening and weed a bit. Surprisingly large poo actually considering.

Scrappy's Little Helper
01-06-2015, 09:43 PM
i am so glad that everything went well for your Scrappy. my little man has been kept in at the vets over night. but hopefully he will be better for me to collect tomorrow. Poor little man.

Hi Rita :wave: I saw on your thread that poor Biscuit is being kept in over night. :( I'm really hoping he rallies and you'll be able to pick him tomorrow. x

MightyMax
01-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Hmm not a huge success with the critical care. I think I made the mixture too thick as it got stuck in the syringe. She's clearly not keen, even with the addition of the Ella's kitchen apple as she spat a lot out. A lot has ended up down her front. I tried giving her 10mls and I doubt very much actually got in. I'll have to make the next dosage more watery so it goes through more easily.

I did manage to get the metacam down. Annoyingly it's the cat version so larger volume in terms of liquid. She fought me half way through. Good in one way that she has a bit of spirit but it has also worried me because I'm terrified that she'll rip her stitches. I'm giving her a break for a bit. I've left her some pureed apple and some greens again, hoping that the metacam will kick in enough to make her want to eat by herself. I know I won't be going to bed tonight until I'm happy she's got a decent enough amount of food in her. :(

On a positive note, she has done at least one poo this evening and weed a bit. Surprisingly large poo actually considering.

Have you tried adding in a bit of Ella's Kitchen bananas? https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/products/bananas-bananas-bananas

((( vibes ))) for Scrappy and for you to get some sleep tonight x

Pets mum
01-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Good news that she's poohed, hopefully she'll start taking a bit of food soon, good luck tonight xx

Scrappy's Little Helper
01-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Just tried again and managed to get a bit more of it down her. Poor thing still ends up getting some down her front :( I do have some of that Ella's kitchen which I've added to the critical care. I got the apple and pear flavours as she normally really likes those, although not tonight it seems! I keep putting different foods in front of her and she is starting to show a bit more of a flicker of interest so I'm hoping her appetite will perk up. I feel I have the worst of both worlds at the moment. She has enough spirit to fight me when I syringe feed but not enough to actually want to eat. She should be covered re pain relief as she had her latest metacam dose about 9.30 tonight. Oh and I found another couple of poos!

Thanks again everyone for your advice and vibes! x

bunny momma
02-06-2015, 02:14 AM

I have used Critical Care for as long as it has been available. I had to use it for many bunnies over the years, and you are right about getting the consistency right. If you make it too thick the bunny will use their tongue to push it out of their mouth, and if it is too thin you will be wearing much more of it than otherwise.

It is also good to have an oral syringe with a large enough hole for all of the fiber part of critical care to pass through. Some of the oral syringes have a longer tapered tip so cutting it a wee bit shorter can result in a larger hole. When I was desperate, I even used the prong of a fork to stretch the hole of the syringe. Before loading it with the Critical Care, make sure the plunger on the syringe moves freely. I get new ones regularly because they wear out and I also make sure the plunger is clean before putting the syringe back together. In a pinch, you can also wipe a little vegetable oil on the rubber part of the plunger to help it to move more freely.

I cannot tell you how many times I got the plunger stuck halfway through the feeding, pushed hard and my bunny and I were both wearing Critical Care. I wipe it off the bunny with a damp paper towel before it dries.

I would sit with the bunny in what little space there is between my thighs. Some bunnies have to be wrapped in a towel so they are better restrained. Put the syringe in the space on the side behind their front teeth.

From your post, I see your bunny likes a 'tea'. Instead of mixing the Critical Care with water, mix it with the tea liquid to give it a better flavor.

Most important, make sure she is drinking. If the vets gave her fluids, she may not need to drink much tonight.

She may not want to eat a lot tonight because the anestesia may still be in her system.

Scrappy's Little Helper
02-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Hi Bunny momma :wave: Thanks so much for those tips on syringing the critical care. I did end up making the mixture too watery just to get it through the syringe so for the next feed I'll try and widen the tip a bit and wash it through beforehand.

I actually had a much more successful feed this morning. In order to make the critical care more palatable I softened a few SS pellets in warm water and added that to the critical care mix. Seemed to have worked as she ate a good 10mls quite happily without spitting it out or letting it dribble down her chin. Unfortunately she still doesn't seem to want to eat for herself but I'll keep leaving some fresh and dried food in front of her. The main thing for the moment is that she is getting food and water into her system. She has also poohed and weed overnight and this morning which is positive. :thumb:

Pets mum
02-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Sounds positive if she's poohed and weed, at least you know her gut is moving ok. Hope you got some sleep last night x

Zoobec
02-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Sending lots of vibes for her, hope she is eating for herself soon :thumb:

Scrappy's Little Helper
02-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks Zoobec :)

I've just seen her eat a couple of strands of hay! Not much I know, but hopefully a step in the right direction. She glared at me as she was eating them as if to say "Look, I'm eating something so you can eff off with that syringe! :evil:"

Speaking of syringes, Bunny Momma, those tips worked a treat and on the last feed I managed to get a thicker mixture through a lot easier. Thanks! :thumb:

clarebear
02-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Good girl Scrappy! :) xx

Rita
02-06-2015, 01:29 PM
so pleased that she is eating. my little boy is still in at the vets, i rang this morning and they said he can't go home yet as he's still not eating. i am now wondering that he will be better at home, as i could encourage him to eat also he would be able to see his buddy, even tho he won't be able to cuddle him not yet.

Zoobec
02-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Sounds like she is improving :thumb:

Ruthyjones89
02-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Awww well done scrappy, sending lots of nomming and feel better soon vibes xxx

Scrappy's Little Helper
02-06-2015, 04:33 PM
so pleased that she is eating. my little boy is still in at the vets, i rang this morning and they said he can't go home yet as he's still not eating. i am now wondering that he will be better at home, as i could encourage him to eat also he would be able to see his buddy, even tho he won't be able to cuddle him not yet.

Oh no I'm sorry Biscuit still isn't eating :( My vets discharged Scrappy last night even though she wasn't eating because they felt she might do if she were in a more familiar environment, although I was instructed to bring her back if I couldn't get any food into her. Might be worth asking if you can take him home and see and for them to give you some critical care to syringe until he does. Good luck, really hope he starts eating soon xx

bunny momma
02-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi Bunny momma :wave: Thanks so much for those tips on syringing the critical care. I did end up making the mixture too watery just to get it through the syringe so for the next feed I'll try and widen the tip a bit and wash it through beforehand.

I actually had a much more successful feed this morning. In order to make the critical care more palatable I softened a few SS pellets in warm water and added that to the critical care mix. Seemed to have worked as she ate a good 10mls quite happily without spitting it out or letting it dribble down her chin. Unfortunately she still doesn't seem to want to eat for herself but I'll keep leaving some fresh and dried food in front of her. The main thing for the moment is that she is getting food and water into her system. She has also poohed and weed overnight and this morning which is positive. :thumb:

Even though I see from your later posts that she is starting to eat her hay, allow me to give you another tip regarding something you found yourself. You softened a few SS pellets in warm water and added it to the Critical Care. Unless your bunny needs some of the extra vitamins/components in Critical Care, you can either mix in a lot of pellets or use pellets only. The problem with using only pellets is they soon separate from the water as you syringe them into your bunny-making the consistency inconsistent. If you mix it with something other than water like you did with Critical Care, this makes it better. Also, pellets may contain larger pieces which get stuck in the tip of the syringe. One tip I will give about pellets is to use a coffee grinder to grind up the dry pellets to a fine consistency before adding it to the Critical Care. The Critical Care will make it a better consistency, or you can mix it with something other than water and use the ground pellets alone. I used ground up pellets before critical care was available. Critical Care does not taste like pellets (don't ask how I know) so some bunnies will perfer if your syringe feed their own pellets.

Scrappy's Little Helper
02-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks again Bunny Momma, these tips are very much appreciated! I'm strongly leaning towards making the bulk of the mixture pellets as this is going down a lot better than the critical care. Unfortunately I don't have a coffee grinder but I'm presuming crushing with a mortar and pestle would work just as well provided I can get it into a powdered consistency?

We've had a bit more hay eating and it looks like she's eaten a bit of fibafirst as well!

Tracy
02-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Glad that Scrappy is starting to nibble and show a bit more interest in food. it sounds like she is heading in the right direction.

I always use a 15ml feeding syringe for bunnies, they are brilliant. The tip is longer so easier to get into bunny's mouth and the end of the syringe is wider so the fibrous bits in the critical care don't ever get stuck. I use the one made by Supreme and would definitely recommend it.

Scrappy's Little Helper
02-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Hi everyone :wave: Just a quick update on Scrappy. She has been eating for herself more over the course of this afternoon and evening. Initially the only thing she seemed to really want to eat was apple which wasn't really ideal, although obviously much better than nothing! So I've been rubbing some fibafirst sticks with apple slices just to get the flavour onto them and she's been eating those. She's also been chomping on more hay which I'm really pleased about.

Thanks again everyone for all your vibes and advice on syringe feeding. I must admit I hate doing it and usually try any other method of getting meds into Scrappy. Unfortunately that hasn't been an option this time so all tips have been very gratefully received. xx

Ruthyjones89
02-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Aww great news... well done scrappy :) xxx

tonibun
02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Pleased to hear Scrappy is starting to eat on her own. You aren't the only one who hates syringe feeding!

Rita
02-06-2015, 09:52 PM
so pleased Scrappy is on the mend, slowly but surely. like you i hate giving the medicine i was wearing the first syringe full of medicine. practice makes perfect. i shall be glad when Biscuit is better and he does not need it. Biscuit loves herbs, have you tried Scrappy with basil.
tomorrow is another day forward and another day of healing. lots of vibes for Scrappy and Biscuits. :love:

Scrappy's Little Helper
02-06-2015, 11:07 PM
so pleased Scrappy is on the mend, slowly but surely. like you i hate giving the medicine i was wearing the first syringe full of medicine. practice makes perfect. i shall be glad when Biscuit is better and he does not need it. Biscuit loves herbs, have you tried Scrappy with basil.
tomorrow is another day forward and another day of healing. lots of vibes for Scrappy and Biscuits. :love:

Haha I know what you mean! I ended up putting a make shift bib around myself for the syringe feeds! Fortunately this evening's administration of metacam has been a lot easier as she's licked her dose off a saucer which has saved on the stress of the syringe!

I just read your update on Biscuit in the health section. Really good news he's started doing some poos :thumb: Topping up the recovery vibes for him xx

bunny momma
03-06-2015, 04:25 AM
Thanks again Bunny Momma, these tips are very much appreciated! I'm strongly leaning towards making the bulk of the mixture pellets as this is going down a lot better than the critical care. Unfortunately I don't have a coffee grinder but I'm presuming crushing with a mortar and pestle would work just as well provided I can get it into a powdered consistency?

We've had a bit more hay eating and it looks like she's eaten a bit of fibafirst as well!

I don't have a mortar and pestle but that is a good idea. Even with the coffee grinder I have to be sure not to crush too many pellets at once because any larger pieces of pellets will get stuck in the syringe. I have even taken an ordinary kitchen sifter and sifted the pellets after they are crushed so I don't have any large pieces when I mix it with the water.

From your later posts I see she is eating much better, but it is always good to have some alternatives to give you peace of mind for any future issues. Plus it may help others who read these posts who have pellets but no Critical Care available.

bunny momma
03-06-2015, 04:45 AM
Glad that Scrappy is starting to nibble and show a bit more interest in food. it sounds like she is heading in the right direction.

I always use a 15ml feeding syringe for bunnies, they are brilliant. The tip is longer so easier to get into bunny's mouth and the end of the syringe is wider so the fibrous bits in the critical care don't ever get stuck. I use the one made by Supreme and would definitely recommend it.

Tracy, you are right. Larger syringes will have a larger hole in the tip.

I use a 10ml syringe for my dwarf bunnies. My only problem was a bunny who chewed the tip. I did not mind buying new syringes every few days, but one day he took a new syringe and got one good chomp and he separated a large piece of the plastic tip. I tried to get him to spit it out and was worried he would choke. He chewed the piece for a minute before he finally spit out the plastic tip.
I needed a syringe with metal tips for this bunny and the vets did not have anything like that. I tried a few things and failed, until I realized I could use a cake decorating bag/coupler/tip that I had in my kitchen. The bags are heavy plastic and can be reused many times even though some are sold as disposibles. The tip is metal so it tolerates chewing. And you can purchase writing tips with various size holes depending on what you are feeding. The only downside is you twist the bag and squeeze it so it is a bit awkward.

Scrappy's Little Helper
03-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Not a great update on Scrappy :( She's just had her post op check up and it looks like some of the internal stitches have ruptured :( She's in surgery now to have it fixed. I'm really worried and upset :cry: I thought it was healing nicely as she was eating more and the external stitches were intact.

Tracy
03-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Try not to worry...although it's easier said than done I know. It's not unheard of for the stitches to fail. My Pansy had a post-spay hernia and had to have another op a couple of days after the initial spay to sort it all out.

Sending lots of vibes for Scrappy and a hug for you. xx

Scrappy's Little Helper
03-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks Tracy :). I jut phoned the vet and they said she got through it ok and was recovering nicely and has eaten a little bit. They're going to phone me in a couple of hours to let me know if she can come home this evening.

Tracy
03-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Awww what a brave girl. Hope she is back home soon.

Brace yourself....you might be on syringe duty again. Bib and towels at the ready. ;)

Zoobec
03-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Really hope she is home again soon, sending more vibes xx

Pets mum
03-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Sorry to hear that, at least the vet picked up on it. Hope she's home again soon xxx

MightyMax
03-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Sending her lots and lots of healing (((( vibes )))) xx

J&R
03-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Hope she's well enough to come home soon, vibes for Scrappy x

Scrappy's Little Helper
03-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks so much for the vibes everyone :wave:

Vets have just phoned. She's recovering well and I can go and pick her up at 5.30 this evening. Apparently she's eaten a little for herself but they've also been syringe feeding her. I'm hoping against hope that she'll carry on eating by herself once home but I've mentally prepared myself (and the bib!) for more syringe feeds.

I just really want her to get better and be back to her old self: dancing round the curtain, following me to the bathroom, head butting my stuff over and doing sneaky wees under the table which I keep treading in xx

Zoobec
03-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Great news, hope she eats for herself when she comes home :thumb:

Rita
03-06-2015, 04:34 PM
lots of love and big (((((((( )))))))) hugs for you and Scrappy. that must of been a worry for you. all we want is the best for are bunny friends. give us an update when you get her home. Biscuit is still on the mend slowly, not eating a lot but he eating something which is good, it's such a nice day today i let his bunny friend out to run around the garden to let off some steam, as he has gotten his play mate back yet.

Scrappy's Little Helper
03-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Scrappy is home!

I put a selection of pellets, fibafirst and some greens in front of her which she ignored at first. I though oh no! I will have to syringe feed :( I then gave her a bit of apple which she gobbled up. Still ignored everything else so I started to prepare the syringe (small bits of apple didn't seem enough nutrition wise). I went to check on her again and she's eaten a small plate of watercress and plantain so I've held off the syringe feed for the time being. Will keep monitoring her in the meantime.

Scrappy's Little Helper
03-06-2015, 07:47 PM
lots of love and big (((((((( )))))))) hugs for you and Scrappy. that must of been a worry for you. all we want is the best for are bunny friends. give us an update when you get her home. Biscuit is still on the mend slowly, not eating a lot but he eating something which is good, it's such a nice day today i let his bunny friend out to run around the garden to let off some steam, as he has gotten his play mate back yet.

Thanks Rita. How is Biscuit doing? Really hope he's appetite is starting to come back a bit now.

Rita
03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
so glad Scrappy is starting to eat. Biscuit has eaten his greens (i went foraging) which he loves. he's not eaten many pellets but so long as he's eating something.
i am going to try some Arnica to see if this will help with the swelling.

ImoT
03-06-2015, 09:34 PM
I've only just caught up with this thread. I'm so sorry Scrappy had to go back into surgery. I'm glad she is home now and eating a little. Sending lots of positive vibes your way, keep us updated! Xx

Rita....glad to hear Biscuit is eating a little! I was recommended aloe vera for the wound (the 'forever living' stuff is good). Unfortunately I didn't have much success as Winston won't be picked up and any I did get on him he licked straight off but it could be worth a shot to help with the swelling?

bunny momma
04-06-2015, 06:24 AM
I am sorry Scrappy had to go back in for more surgery. I suspect she was not under anestesia as long as before so she will likely recover quicker. Sending extra vibes to you and Scrappy.

Pets mum
04-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Hope Scrappy is feeling better this morning, and managing to eat xxx

Scrappy's Little Helper
04-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Just back from a follow up appointment with the vet. Good news is that the new stitches have held together and the wound itself isn't looking too bad.

She's still eating for herself, mainly just leafy greens. She had a fair amount of plantain last night. No interest in pellets or fibafirst, although from what I've read previously on here that tallies with other people's experiences. Her poos aren't fantastic, quite small and misshapen but the vet said that is to be expected given she's only really eating leafy greens. Since we got back she's been eating a bit of hay so hopefully she'll get more fibre in her system. We've also been given some fibreplex and some more zantac which should help.

She's been a bit more active this morning and had been running around a bit, albeit mainly running away from me which I'm not totally surprised about. Scrappy doesn't usually hold a grudge for long though so hopefully we'll be friends again soon.

Oh and she flopped this morning which was a pleasant surprise, wasn't expecting any of those for a while!

Thanks again everyone for all the vibes :wave:

SJH
04-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Awww, that's great news!

Scrappy's Little Helper
04-06-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm as pleased as punch! As Scrappy's appetite has started to perk up I thought I'd try one of my old tricks to get her to eat some more hay: mixing it with a bit of pureed apple. It's worked! She's currently shovelling loads of it into her gorgeous big gob :love: Obviously I'm only going to do this sparingly and in the short term - just enough to get us over this tricky period until her appetite's back to normal. I'm really hoping she's started to turn the corner now.

Tracy
04-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Good girl Scrappy :thumb: Keep on munching!

Zoobec
04-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Great update :thumb:

Scrappy's Little Helper
04-06-2015, 06:56 PM
She's still munching on her hay! I think we're on course to her having eaten roughly a minimum of two thirds of her body size in hay by the end of today. That's more than I could have dared hope for considering even this morning she was still picking at her food. Drastic increase in poo volume as well. They're still quite small and dark but there are loads of them :thumb:

Rita
05-06-2015, 01:57 PM
i am so pleased that little Scrappy is making wonderful progress. it's always a worry when they have an operation, but she is a strong little lady.
well done Scrappy. :love:

Scrappy's Little Helper
05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
i am so pleased that little Scrappy is making wonderful progress. it's always a worry when they have an operation, but she is a strong little lady.
well done Scrappy. :love:

Aww thanks Rita. Glad to read on your thread that Biscuit has made such good progress xx

MightyMax
05-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Lovely update! Go Scrappy :wave: