• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen ears

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi,
After a bit of advice, my boy Springfield is a lop. Last year his ears felt slightly 'thicker' to the touch. Not hugely but enough to be noticeable. No other issues and was perfectly healthy, after a while (couple of weeks ish) they were back to normal. I put this down to recently having a course of xeno for mites and thought maybe a reaction.

Anyway I've noticed today they've gone the same. He is 100% happy and healthy. No other lumps or bumps anywhere including his face, no discharge in ears, no scabs, no tilt, no flicking head, still playing zoomies round the room, still eating/drinking/pooping/weeing normally. However he did have his combined vaccs 2 weeks ago.... I've rang the ooh vet who says probably not a side effect but will likely take him to the vets tomorrow anyway to check. If it's not a side effect though I'm bamboozled! !

Any words of wisdom?
Do I wait and see if they go back to normal to avoid stress of the vet or do I get him checked tomorrow as planned?

Hi,
After a bit of advice, my boy Springfield is a lop. Last year his ears felt slightly 'thicker' to the touch. Not hugely but enough to be noticeable. No other issues and was perfectly healthy, after a while (couple of weeks ish) they were back to normal. I put this down to recently having a course of xeno for mites and thought maybe a reaction.

Anyway I've noticed today they've gone the same. He is 100% happy and healthy. No other lumps or bumps anywhere including his face, no discharge in ears, no scabs, no tilt, no flicking head, still playing zoomies round the room, still eating/drinking/pooping/weeing normally. However he did have his combined vaccs 2 weeks ago.... I've rang the ooh vet who says probably not a side effect but will likely take him to the vets tomorrow anyway to check. If it's not a side effect though I'm bamboozled! !

Any words of wisdom?
Do I wait and see if they go back to normal to avoid stress of the vet or do I get him checked tomorrow as planned?

I'd get the Vet to take a look at him tomorrow.

Have you checked that his genitals are not swollen ? Do his ears feel warmer than usual ?

It's unlikely, but not impossible. The vaccine takes 3 weeks to establish a full immune response.
In one respect I'm hoping it is his little body fighting off the disease and that like last time it will go over time but I'm no vet and want him looking at really

Hi,

Any words of wisdom?

Your vet says it's not a side effect of the vaccine, but it could possibly be ... I have had issues with ears after vaccination in the past.

It's a good idea to get him checked over by the vet, but bear in mind that according to MSD who manufacture the vaccine, it takes three weeks for any symptoms and side effects to subside, as that's when full immunity is reached in the bunny's body.

Keep us posted as to how it goes :)

Your vet says it's not a side effect of the vaccine, but it could possibly be ... I have had issues with ears after vaccination in the past.

It's a good idea to get him checked over by the vet, but bear in mind that according to MSD who manufacture the vaccine, it takes three weeks for any symptoms and side effects to subside, as that's when full immunity is reached in the bunny's body.

Keep us posted as to how it goes :)
Thank you for that. I'm trying not to panic given how it subsided last year and making the presumption that it's a side effect. Having said that I'll take him to get checked anyway because I cannot handle the idea of something bad happening and knowing I could have done more. I'm finding it difficult to stay calm as I suffer with ocd linked to the rabbits (can't think why! !) But your words have genuinely helped so I appreciate it (yours too, Jane)

Well there we have it. Sods law! Got home this afternoon to find his little bunny ears feeling much better if not 100% better. Typical! Nevertheless took him to the vets to be sure. She gave him a full check over including his glands and agreed a possible reaction but thought it strange 2 weeks after vaccination, although couldn't see a different reason for it. Said she'll pop a note on his file in case it happens again and just to keep monitoring them!

Great news! Better still, as they thought it was a potential reaction to the vaccination, there was no fee! Totally pleased I took him and will continue to watch just in case but hopefully that's it

Glad Springfield is better now :) they do like to worry us don't they? I can relate to ocd re bunnies, im terrible with thoughts of cross contamination :eek:

Well there we have it. Sods law! Got home this afternoon to find his little bunny ears feeling much better if not 100% better. Typical! Nevertheless took him to the vets to be sure. She gave him a full check over including his glands and agreed a possible reaction but thought it strange 2 weeks after vaccination, although couldn't see a different reason for it. Said she'll pop a note on his file in case it happens again and just to keep monitoring them!

Great news! Better still, as they thought it was a potential reaction to the vaccination, there was no fee! Totally pleased I took him and will continue to watch just in case but hopefully that's it

Glad to hear that all is OK now. Is the Vet going to inform the Manufacturer of the suspected adverse reaction ? He/she is supposed to do so.

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/adversereactionreporting/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Good news that all is well with him! I'm also pleased you didn't have to pay for the consult .. sign of a good vet ;)

Hopefully nothing more will be amiss .. xx

Oh I'm not sure, Jane. I would imagine so but I didn't think to ask really. They're pretty good so I would like to think so

Sometimes with a 'suspected' adverse reaction, the vet doesn't notify the company. Only when there is clear evidence. That's been my experience anyway :)

definitely go to your vet. my lop eared girl sometimes gets swollen ears. still don't know why. vets scratching his his head. I bathe her ears in cool water that seems to help.

Back