• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you keep your house buns mess to a minimum ?

lenslady

Alpha Buck
I have house buns and I have gone from lining their base cages with straw, wood chip pings ect and put things in trays as I don't feel they need their base cages lined with this stuff as the house is warm enough but I am still getting loads of mess :roll: such as hay everywhere, my hoover is forever going and I am sure it is going to blow up soon :roll:

I am tempted to get rid of hay racks as these are messy. I do not mind a bit of mess but to be constantly hoovering is tiring me out :shock:. How do you keep your homes tidy with house Buns?
xx

And Burberry poo's are everywhere when he is free range, not using the provided litter trays. I know he is still new to us but they get everywhere lol and he uses the litter in his pen. x

They are messy, some more than others. I think it helps when you succumb to accepting you & your hoover will be in very regular contact. I've grown to love my Henry Hoover which is great for hay cos it doesn't block. Larger litter boxes work well as when they hop out they drag less with them. Having said that Joe actually carries mouthfuls out to eat on the carpet where he can check out everything else thats going on. Mine are food territorial so forever dragging forage to separate corners of the room & that creates mess. In fact there's always mess even when everything is freshly cleaned & hoovered as there's always loo rolls, cardboard boxes & chew toys hanging around. It sure is a downside to bunny ownership. My perfectly toilet trained Joey & Boo are bonding to Mouse at the mo & there is forage, hay & poo everywhere :oops: & I'm cleaning it up every 2 hours

And Burberry poo's are everywhere when he is free range, not using the provided litter trays. I know he is still new to us but they get everywhere lol and he uses the litter in his pen. x

I think that should improve with age & when he's mastered "his" :lol: space. Can't recall if he is neutered yet - that helps loads x

They are messy, some more than others. I think it helps when you succumb to accepting you & your hoover will be in very regular contact. I've grown to love my Henry Hoover which is great for hay cos it doesn't block. Larger litter boxes work well as when they hop out they drag less with them. Having said that Joe actually carries mouthfuls out to eat on the carpet where he can check out everything else thats going on. Mine are food territorial so forever dragging forage to separate corners of the room & that creates mess. In fact there's always mess even when everything is freshly cleaned & hoovered as there's always loo rolls, cardboard boxes & chew toys hanging around. It sure is a downside to bunny ownership. My perfectly toilet trained Joey & Boo are bonding to Mouse at the mo & there is forage, hay & poo everywhere :oops: & I'm cleaning it up every 2 hours

Thanks for that joey&boo. Gypsy brings her hay onto the carpet a lot of the time too where as Burberry just poos on it lol. I was wondering whether those lidded cat litter boxes are any good and if I could put hay in them but it is whether they would get used to the door flaps on them. Burberry and Gypsy have also resorted to up tipping there food bowls so I have now gone to old plastic quality street tubs as their bowls which is great because I can get more in them. My burberry poos for England, maybe that is his breed type but he must poo out a 100 an hour :lol:

Thanks for that joey&boo. Gypsy brings her hay onto the carpet a lot of the time too where as Burberry just poos on it lol. I was wondering whether those lidded cat litter boxes are any good and if I could put hay in them but it is whether they would get used to the door flaps on them. Burberry and Gypsy have also resorted to up tipping there food bowls so I have now gone to old plastic quality street tubs as their bowls which is great because I can get more in them. My burberry poos for England, maybe that is his breed type but he must poo out a 100 an hour :lol:

Maybe the flap could be taken off? Those underbed storage boxes do have enough depth to contain most of it. Now I have found myself wondering how big giant rabbits bunny poo's are. If its proportionate to their size they will be massive!When they are fully grown i want photos :lol:

Maybe the flap could be taken off? Those underbed storage boxes do have enough depth to contain most of it. Now I have found myself wondering how big giant rabbits bunny poo's are. If its proportionate to their size they will be massive!When they are fully grown i want photos :lol:

Lol Gypsys are sometimes the size of marbles :lol: but she is really clean and tidy with hers. Burberrys not so big but more of them :lol:xx

Lol Gypsys are sometimes the size of marbles :lol: but she is really clean and tidy with hers. Burberrys not so big but more of them :lol:xx

That's another thing thats positive, once they are bonded Gypsy will probably toilet train Burberry

I use woodpellet cat litter, the bunny room is laminate so it's easy to sweep. I use hay racks over the litter trays. I put the litter trays where he wanted to wee. If you sweep up stray poops and put them in the litter tray regularly, and mop up any wee and neutralise with vinegar diluted 50/50 with water, that should help. But I'm sure once hormones have died down about 6 weeks after neutering things should improve. Also if there have been changes to territory or new bunnies in the house this could trigger territorial marking.

I use woodpellet cat litter, the bunny room is laminate so it's easy to sweep. I use hay racks over the litter trays. I put the litter trays where he wanted to wee. If you sweep up stray poops and put them in the litter tray regularly, and mop up any wee and neutralise with vinegar diluted 50/50 with water, that should help. But I'm sure once hormones have died down about 6 weeks after neutering things should improve. Also if there have been changes to territory or new bunnies in the house this could trigger territorial marking.

Thanks Zoobec. Will try putting hay near litter trays and see if that is any better. Funnily enough gypsy has started to poo on the floor since Burberry arrived, she still uses the litter but i think sometimes she forgets or the other Bun in the household has distracted her. I am so looking forward to them being neutered and spayed, it can't come soon enough for me. xx

Buns are messy. :D

Using ceramic bowls for food ensures they can't tip it over.

Hay racks, or one of those plastic bag-holders from ikea, will keep it a little tidier, but hay does get everywhere.

A good Hoover is essential (I have a Hetty), as is a dust pan and brush. We need to hoover twice daily if we want to keep the floor clean. :)

Thanks Zoobec. Will try putting hay near litter trays and see if that is any better. Funnily enough gypsy has started to poo on the floor since Burberry arrived, she still uses the litter but i think sometimes she forgets or the other Bun in the household has distracted her. I am so looking forward to them being neutered and spayed, it can't come soon enough for me. xx

I would put the hay in the litter trays, and/ or in hay racks hung over them :thumb:

Underbed storage boxes make great litter trays and Mabel has a wall mounted hay rack above hers so when she drags hay out it lands in the tray. I store hay in a big cylindrical Hessian 'drum' with handles on and lift this over to the littertray/hayrack to fill up to minimise dropping hay everywhere. I find sweeping up daily and then hoovering keeps mess to a minimum. The thing that gets me the most is how dusty the bunny room gets. I have a computer desk with PC, printer etc. And have had to cover the keyboard and printer with dust covers. I think it's a combo of hay dust, fur from moulting and normal dust.

I also have a dust buster handheld type hoover for spot cleans too.

I would put the hay in the litter trays, and/ or in hay racks hung over them :thumb:

^ yup. I basically had hay in the litter trays and also to make sure she had a good supply, I basically had it so there was more hay but to access it poor Rosie had to sit in her litter box to get it.

Oh gosh but the hay...the hay. The flaming hay. I tried putting newpaper over the rack to make it easier to tidy, that was a disaster as Rosie tipped it wanting to get the newpaper instead :lol:. But I agree with above, a good solid hoover. I have a Vax pet thingy but use a duspan end to pull up and sweep the worst of the hay to try and stop it from choking the hoover and clear it out more frequently that I normally would a hoover. I also have a wee handheld detatchment from my original hoover (I snapped the skeleton of it - oops. That also does for a wee power clean

I think it's likely as you say, just there's another bun in the house and so manners are somewhat dropped :lol: might just be a case of getting them all back into that routine of using the trays. But think hay will always crop up a bit more than we like to see it, I feel my eye twitch if I see it anywhere now :lol:

large litter trays and put the hay in their or as mentioned above storage boxes do great job, it will improve with age and also not as bad when neutered, you will still find odd ones though, but that's part of being a bunny parent

When your buns are neutered/spayed, you should find they are happier about keeping their mess to the litter tray! :D

I have tried attaching a tunnel to a foldable laundry basket today and it seems to be working really well :D Fingers crossed :lol:

All mine have is a litter tray with newspaper under hay. They do spread hay everywhere anyway though...I'm thinking about putting the tray in a box with only one side cut out so that hay doesn't escape form the other three.

It's been a lot better since I moved to a house with a wooden floor. Much easier to sweep up!

Back