• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Boarding

Dieselsmum

Warren Scout
Hi,

I was just after some advice on bunny boarding. I have a indoor rabbit who free reigns whenever someone is home and when we are not he has a huge enclosure in the dining room.

Anyway, my question is, next April I would like to take the kids on holiday Monday to Friday (which is the first time in 4 years) and I was wondering what people thought of bunny boarding? I have someone who can come in and feed him and check on him but he wouldn't get any time out of his cage anywhere near what he is used to and I don't have anyone who can come stay for any length of time.

Is bunny boarding a good idea for rabbits? Does it have any detrimental affect on them? I'm just worried he would stress in new surroundings.

Am I being paranoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya, I've never used one before but I know a lot of places offer it from rescues which have it as an add-on to people focusing on boarding services.

I think realistically it's not going to be exactly what he's used to, but that's always going to be the case when you aren't there. What I think you might find useful is to get in contact with some you like the sound of and talk to them your concerns and ask them questions about what to expect and how they care for the rabbits they take in. Get to know them and they are used to people worried about leaving pets behind for a little while.

Another potential is a few places do offer a pet sitting service which is performed in house.

Thank you. I've been asking around a few friends who are vet nurses to see if they know of anyone. I've found a place that comes highly recommended so have just message them. I swear, I don't feel this anxious when I leave my kids! Lol x

I always think that a week or two in smaller than ideal accommodation, but cared for by someone who really understands bunnies and their particular health issues, is better than staying at home and having a friend popping in to feed and clean out. Unless, of course, you have a friend or family member who themselves understands bunnies as well as you or a professional boarding establishment.

So I always go for bunny knowledge over space. Although a confined space isn't ideal, it isn't going to kill them for a week or two. Mine go from an 8x6 ft shed attached to a 6ft x 20ft+ run to an 8ft by 2ft 6" pen whilst we're on holiday. Not perfect but I trust the person who looks after them so that means I can relax a little more when I'm away.

Thank you again. That was my thinking. I really don't think my family or friends understand how complicated bunnies can be. My bun has already suffered a broken jaw and a few cases of stasis in his short life. I know the signs but I'm sure my family think I'm bonkers when I try and explain x

Hi, I have been doing bunny boarding since 2002, and every single bunny that comes to stay is and individual in their own right....not 'just' a bunny...but a friend!!
Boarding establishments greatly differ in the type of accommodation they offer. My best advice to you would be to visit the place(s) beforehand, ask as many questions as you need to and hopefully any worries and concerns you may have will be put to rest. Best of luck.

Hi, I have been doing bunny boarding since 2002, and every single bunny that comes to stay is and individual in their own right....not 'just' a bunny...but a friend!!
Boarding establishments greatly differ in the type of accommodation they offer. My best advice to you would be to visit the place(s) beforehand, ask as many questions as you need to and hopefully any worries and concerns you may have will be put to rest. Best of luck.

Completely agree with this. My bunnies (and piggies) go off to boarding with individual care sheets, outlining their personalities as well as any health issues. It helps the person looking after them if they know their funny little ways.

What area are you? Maybe someone could suggest somewhere.

We use a fantastic boarding facility but it's south Cheshire.

Purple Paws in Chatham do bunny boarding. They helped us move our buns when we had to move 8 into our new home. They were really good so worth giving a call to.

My two buns have just come back from small animal boarding today (no cats or dogs) and tbh although everything was lovely, the stress of the journey and the different environment/other bunny smells has totally stressed one of my rabbits out, so I am going to opt for my mam to come and look after them at home when we go away in September, and have cancelled their stay there. My other bun isn't fazed at all like, but my other one is very grumpy and has been during the stay apparently also (grunting/lunging) very unlike him as he's such a sweet, cuddly boy. Hopefully once he's settled back at home will be back to normal again, but it's made me feel awful.

Like I say probably depends on the bunny, and not to try and be negative but just wanted to give my experience of it too :) x

Thank you! I think I've decided against bunny boarding him. I've been looking into someone coming to tend to him during the day to avoid any type of stress. :) x

Thank you! I think I've decided against bunny boarding him. I've been looking into someone coming to tend to him during the day to avoid any type of stress. :) x

I use Petpals for petsitting , they have been brilliant with my rabbits and I'm pretty sure they're nationwide. The sitter that comes always texts updates, leaves the house and rabbits clean and tidy and leaves a little diary of how they've been.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Back