• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please re: landlord inspection & what to do with my bunnies

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
:? Any thoughts, ideas would be very much appreciated.

Please bear with me. I rent the house I live in now via a letting agent who as standard does 6 monthly inspections.
They know we had 2 house rabbits as we put them on the application form & also chatted at length to the agent about bunnies when we viewed the property. I was slightly irked that our contract hadn't been adapted to include rabbits but didn't act on it. Six weeks after moving in our beloved Bunny Noodle left us :( When it came down to our home check for adopting Joey his next wife (Boo) we needed proof of landlord consent. I asked the letting agent to put the bunnies on the contract & they said instead they would do a "bunny inspection" which went well as they havent damaged the house (not in any way that wasn't easily masked with polyfilla & a lick of paint:lol:). So we passed that & we got a rubbish letter saying we were allowed to keep rabbits outside:evil: I called to complain & was told that if everything was ok at the next inspection the bunnies would go on the contract. The next inspection raised no issues (Joey & Boo looking super sweet doing DBF in front of the fireplace ). Surprise surprise (despite a verbal reminder) the renewed contract arrived with no mention of bunnies. Grrr

I adopted Mouse (bunny) on the 17th & couldn't believe it when the letting agent called on the 18th to arrange an inspection. I've put her off til thursday but I really don't know what to do with my bunnies. On former inspections I've made a point of keeping them in as they have perfect toilet habits. Now however its a right poo fest which i understand is normal during bonding but I can't have her seeing it like this. By the time she'd got to the freshly hoovered lounge it'd be poo chaos again. If I wasn't bonding I'd pop them in the garden but they (all 3) aren't ready to move on to their next space - esp the garden which is pretty big. Any ideas, advice would be so welcome

If I have read your post correctly then the rabbits should have gone onto your last contract but the letting agent has missed them off. In which case you are allowed to have your rabbits as indoor buns as it's the letting agent who has got the contract wrong. So I would keep the rabbits as they are and explain that you are in the process of bonding so they are pooping everywhere to mark territory. The poop isn't hurting anything it's just adding another job for you having to clean it up!

I'm in a rented house which we rent direct through our landlord, he was amazed when we applied for the house with a house rabbit and asked us so many questions as he really hadn't come across house rabbits before but has been great about it all and when he came to mend something was really intrigued to meet her and was stunned that she is litter trained! In our previous house we rented through an agent and it was a nightmare, paperwork not being correct and repairs taking ages to happen.

Good luck with your inspection I know how stressful they can be.

If I have read your post correctly then the rabbits should have gone onto your last contract but the letting agent has missed them off. In which case you are allowed to have your rabbits as indoor buns as it's the letting agent who has got the contract wrong. So I would keep the rabbits as they are and explain that you are in the process of bonding so they are pooping everywhere to mark territory. The poop isn't hurting anything it's just adding another job for you having to clean it up!

I'm in a rented house which we rent direct through our landlord, he was amazed when we applied for the house with a house rabbit and asked us so many questions as he really hadn't come across house rabbits before but has been great about it all and when he came to mend something was really intrigued to meet her and was stunned that she is litter trained! In our previous house we rented through an agent and it was a nightmare, paperwork not being correct and repairs taking ages to happen.

Good luck with your inspection I know how stressful they can be.

Hey KatP :wave: thanks for your reply . You are of course correct, I just don't know if I'm brave enough. More important is not upsetting the bunny applecart though so I need to get brave. She probably can't evict me / or be bothered with the hassle as we are good tenants. Maybe I should just pick the bunny poo from between my toes with pride? Or say nothing until she does & say "so now you want to acknowledge they exist?". It's like the bunny episode of Father Ted

Hi there :wave:

OK, so I have not been in rented property with bunnies. However, I would personally not like to let anyone in my house if there was a poo fest going on :lol: That's just me ... it wouldn't happen. So I would think of some way around it ...

If she wasn't going to look in every room (i.e. bathroom, loo etc) then I would distribute the rabbits around with a litter tray (makeshift if necessary) in rooms/places that she wasn't going to see them. I would give them something interesting to do/eat for the duration to keep them quiet :D Last resort, I may also put them into a pet carrier in the car - yes I know it's not nice, but I find my bunnies aren't really stressed unless the car is going somewhere.

Or, best scenario, get an understanding friend to take them, giving you time to tidy up.

I don't think it's a question of being 'brave' to let someone see all the bunny poo, and non-bun folk wouldn't really understand about 'bonding' and why it causes a mess. I think it's a question of pride and dignity, and presenting yourself as someone who respects property? Maybe?

How do you normally keep your bunnies - are they usually free range? If so it might be worth penning them in to a puppy panel type area for the time when she's coming, and lining the floor with tarp/lino etc? If you bend the tarp up the sides and just explain there's more poo than normal due to bonding but that's why you've contained them (she doesn't need to know that smaller areas are better for bonding, so you'll get bonus points for seemingly penning them in just to keep it tidy!). I can't imagine many landlords would make a fuss about that. It's a bit of a faff to get a puppy panel and some flooring if you don't already have anything, but if it helps you feel less anxious it's worth it I reckon!

I live in a rented flat and always worry when inspections happen! We have one next week between next mon-fri and have got permission for the pets but not written for Jake bunny yet and he's free range in the front room with no where to shut him in (we have pen panels round the tv we could make in a pen though just for while they're here). I'm sure they'll be fine about the bunnies, as you said you're good tenants. You could also just let them know about bonding and its temporary, beano and Gordon had a fight and where put in the pen in the kitchen for rebonding once which was a mess and took up all the kitchen but they didn't mind after I explained why they were in there!

Last edited:
Hey KatP :wave: thanks for your reply . You are of course correct, I just don't know if I'm brave enough. More important is not upsetting the bunny applecart though so I need to get brave. She probably can't evict me / or be bothered with the hassle as we are good tenants. Maybe I should just pick the bunny poo from between my toes with pride? Or say nothing until she does & say "so now you want to acknowledge they exist?". It's like the bunny episode of Father Ted

As you say not upsetting the bunny apple cart is the most important thing. You have been open and honest about having the buns from the start even if this is a different pairing to what you started with. They agreed to you having the buns so they can't now raise any objection unless the buns have caused major destruction (which they haven't) so don't hide them away, just be open and honest that you are in the process of bonding so yes there are more poops but they are dry poops and don't leave marks on the flooring. As you have said you are good tenants then they really won't want to get rid of you. I see it from both sides as I rent and my dad is also a landlord ( not for my property) and believe me it's much better to keep good tenants than to get new tenants who are an unknown quantity. Also remind the person doing the inspection that the rabbits should have been included on the contract but that they seem to have missed this when you got your last contract! Put it back on them!

So pick the bunny poop out from between your toes with pride, stand tall, and make sure she adds the rabbits to your contract. You could even tell her you will be refusing to sign the next contract if the rabbits aren't on it! Bet they add them straight away with no problems.

Aw thank you all for taking the time to read never mind reply - there are some ace ideas & points. I hope one day they will regain there good litter habits .

Mightymax you are soooo right in that its a poor way to present myself - esp to my letting agent. I'm cringing at the prospect of my parents visiting next weekend & seeing it all & they are more than used to my odd bunny ways after 20+ years.
I think popping them in side by side carriers might be acceptable. If they are on time it'll be 30 mins, 60 max. I don't drive but better than that the garden has loads of mature plants, bushes, trees & a suitable hidey areas behind the shed & raspberry canes

So pick the bunny poop out from between your toes with pride, stand tall, and make sure she adds the rabbits to your contract. You could even tell her you will be refusing to sign the next contract if the rabbits aren't on it! Bet they add them straight away with no problems.

I'll definitely keep at trying for them on the contract - if we rent again it's a good reference in a way - my previous 2 landlords have been great with my bunnies but this woman is a snooty type

Aw thank you all for taking the time to read never mind reply - there are some ace ideas & points. I hope one day they will regain there good litter habits .

Mightymax you are soooo right in that its a poor way to present myself - esp to my letting agent. I'm cringing at the prospect of my parents visiting next weekend & seeing it all & they are more than used to my odd bunny ways after 20+ years.
I think popping them in side by side carriers might be acceptable. If they are on time it'll be 30 mins, 60 max. I don't drive but better than that the garden has loads of mature plants, bushes, trees & a suitable hidey areas behind the shed & raspberry canes

Ah yes, very good idea!

I was hesitant to put my point of view, but I know how I feel when surprised by builders etc and not had time to clear up. When I had a stove installed, the man came round and was looking at the old fireplace. He put his rucksack on the carpet just beside where my old buns have their bed. I realised there were a few stray poos on the floor and that when he lifted his rucksack up again, they would probably be stuck to it :shock:

As luck would have it, he had to fetch something out of his car, so I hastily picked up his bag, cleaned it down, and scooped up the poos. We know that bun poo is harmless and inevitable. It gives a different impression to strangers though ... especially snooty ones like your letting agent :lol:

I can really sympathise with your predicament as I rent as well and those landlord inspections can be a bit of a pain. Really bad timing for you though in the middle of a bond. As others have said, we would understand it as temporary territorial behaviour but it can be difficult for others to understand.

I'm sorry I can't offer any practical advice but really hope you manage to get something worked out x

I can really sympathise with your predicament as I rent as well and those landlord inspections can be a bit of a pain. Really bad timing for you though in the middle of a bond. As others have said, we would understand it as temporary territorial behaviour but it can be difficult for others to understand.

I'm sorry I can't offer any practical advice but really hope you manage to get something worked out x

No I really appreciate your well wishes. I've rented many places but never anywhere that did this inspection thing.

I think putting them in carriers/penning them in somewhere during the inspection is the best idea. My mum is a landlord and she herself has 9 animals and of course values good tenants, but I know she wouldn't be too happy walking into one of her properties and seeing bunny poop everywhere! I think you should also push whoever comes to do the inspection to put the bunnies on your contract! Good luck :)

Quite frankly I'd try to keep it clean and tidy and not make a big thing regarding having house bunnies. A lot of people don't understand. My son used to rent and had regular six months inspections from letting agents. he had a cat, which he still has now she's aged 17yrs. There were always problems with them and the cat. They complained about cat hair on the windowsills and they complained about the litter tray, they complained about the food dishes. It didn't seem to matter how careful, clean and tidy he was they complained. Eventually he was able to buy a house and he still has his little cat. I don't want to put a downer on it for you. Good luck!

Well would you believe in the last 48 hours my rabbits have regained their perfect litter habits, not a poo out of place! I'm so proud Here they are enjoying breakfast

DSCF6296_zpsbnwreyp8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm hoping the improvement is also a sign they are increasingly comfortable together.

Awwww. What a gorgeous picture. Are those beech leaves? We have loads in our garden.

Awwww. What a gorgeous picture. Are those beech leaves? We have loads in our garden.

They are indeed beech. They are growing really fast now & we have 2 massive hedges so it's a good stop gap before I go over the garden wall for their other forage fodder. When the beech leaves are all crispy & brown the bunnies tend to eat them when they get together under the garden bench after a day of free ranging. We call them wafer thins mins .. monty python style :lol:

Back