• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a rabbit is hard!

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I have had rabbits as a child who were very loved but unfortunately I didn't know about the responsibilities of rabbit ownership when I was younger so Bellatrix is my first rabbit as an adult and I am trying so hard to do everything right but it is just so difficult! I am constantly worried about her and I am getting less and less sleep because of her both from worrying and her stamping in the night (see previous thread!) and now having her in my bedroom. It is exhausting and overwhelming! :cry:

Did night one in the house not go so well? They are very difficult pets aren't they - lovely though

It is so tempting to worry over every little thing isn't it?

I mean from what you posted, last night did go well, although she's woken you up a few times, sometimes it's just about tinkering with care until you find the bit that works, we're always here though to help and support :)

Did night one in the house not go so well? They are very difficult pets aren't they - lovely though

It was ok. I was pleased that she didn't chew any furniture but she weed on the bed and there is hay and poo everywhere! And she woke me up a few times coming up to me and digging at cardboard! It's difficult at the moment but hopefully we will both get into some routine.

It is so tempting to worry over every little thing isn't it?

I mean from what you posted, last night did go well, although she's woken you up a few times, sometimes it's just about tinkering with care until you find the bit that works, we're always here though to help and support :)

Yes, I'm not going to give up on it yet, I'll keep trying to see what works. I'm going to confiscate the noisy cardboard for tonight but have it as backup incase she gets bored and goes for the furniture. And i'm not going to be allowing her on the bed anymore, not even for cuddles! I can't stand wee on the bed, I'm having to wash the sheets daily and my OCD is getting worse!!

It was ok. I was pleased that she didn't chew any furniture but she weed on the bed and there is hay and poo everywhere! And she woke me up a few times coming up to me and digging at cardboard! It's difficult at the moment but hopefully we will both get into some routine.

Oh dear! My Max used to sleep on the bed with me. He didn't wee on it, but now and again through the night the bed would shake as he sat up to clean himself. I had to keep settling him down again so I could go back to sleep :lol:

Oh dear! My Max used to sleep on the bed with me. He didn't wee on it, but now and again through the night the bed would shake as he sat up to clean himself. I had to keep settling him down again so I could go back to sleep :lol:

Aww, take it he was a big lad then? :)

Boo & Joey come up to bed with us but they just jump up for their 8g of excel (of course we don't encourage them :lol:)
& Boo lands herself on your pillow to wash my face if I'm late up. No wee thankfully. I found their little rabbity noises stopped waking me after a week or two.

Too right, I mean Rosie sneaked into the room and on bed and pooped and weed on the OH side of the bed but she only did once, though also if I'm not mistaken your girlie is too young to be spayed so she's still perhaps a lil wee/poop happy at the moment but that could calm down once she's spayed :)

Too right, I mean Rosie sneaked into the room and on bed and pooped and weed on the OH side of the bed but she only did once, though also if I'm not mistaken your girlie is too young to be spayed so she's still perhaps a lil wee/poop happy at the moment but that could calm down once she's spayed :)

Oh dear! You're lucky it was only the once! I can't wait for her to be spayed haha but realise it may not be a miracle cure! Tempted to use a spray bottle everytime she comes on the bed as I've seen it recommended before but that feels too cruel! I'm thinking with a bottle she will hate the bottle rather than me if I shout no at her each time. She is very clever, I think she could get the message if it was consistent but I don't want to be cruel!

I have had rabbits as a child who were very loved but unfortunately I didn't know about the responsibilities of rabbit ownership when I was younger so Bellatrix is my first rabbit as an adult and I am trying so hard to do everything right but it is just so difficult! I am constantly worried about her and I am getting less and less sleep because of her both from worrying and her stamping in the night (see previous thread!) and now having her in my bedroom. It is exhausting and overwhelming! :cry:
I feel a little like this too as like yourself I am very new to Rabbit ownership and times have certainly changed since we kept them as children. It is worrying and they deserve the very best of care which is sometimes very overwhelming. I am constantly checking litter trays, observing their behaviour and I am now very fussy about what I feed them as I do not want to make them ill or have bad teeth. I think this site is a great source of support and I definitely don't think I could do it if i hadn't have found this site. I will be the proud owner of 3 Rabbits in 2 weeks time, so I have gone from 1 to 3 :shock:. I think your doing great and your post shows how much you do care, anyway I hope it gets a little easier for you. :love:

I feel a little like this too as like yourself I am very new to Rabbit ownership and times have certainly changed since we kept them as children. It is worrying and they deserve the very best of care which is sometimes very overwhelming. I am constantly checking litter trays, observing their behaviour and I am now very fussy about what I feed them as I do not want to make them ill or have bad teeth. I think this site is a great source of support and I definitely don't think I could do it if i hadn't have found this site. I will be the proud owner of 3 Rabbits in 2 weeks time, so I have gone from 1 to 3 :shock:. I think your doing great and your post shows how much you do care, anyway I hope it gets a little easier for you. :love:

Thanks, I have been quietly stalking your story on your different threads and your rabbits are just gorgeous. I am particularly interested as they are giants like my Bellatrix! It does feel so overwhelming and I know you are doing an amazing job, I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful photos of Bo-Jangles!

Aww, take it he was a big lad then? :)

Boo & Joey come up to bed with us but they just jump up for their 8g of excel (of course we don't encourage them :lol:)
& Boo lands herself on your pillow to wash my face if I'm late up. No wee thankfully. I found their little rabbity noises stopped waking me after a week or two.

He wasn't enormous (He was the black spot in my avatar :love:) but about two and a half kilos. My first bun was around 5 kilos and they seem to have got smaller every time I get another one :lol:

Thanks, I have been quietly stalking your story on your different threads and your rabbits are just gorgeous. I am particularly interested as they are giants like my Bellatrix! It does feel so overwhelming and I know you are doing an amazing job, I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful photos of Bo-Jangles!

Yes it can be overwhelming at times, because we care and want to give them a life worth living. It's hard work not just sticking them in a hutch down the garden and throwing food in once a day :shock:

However, the rewards for us bunny lovers are tremendous. I can't imagine a life without buns :D

He wasn't enormous (He was the black spot in my avatar :love:) but about two and a half kilos. My first bun was around 5 kilos and they seem to have got smaller every time I get another one :lol:

Sorry for the hijack again ... I think your Max:love: looks like my Mouse:love: My bunnies seem to be getting bigger, she is only 3kg but Joe feels half her weight at 2.5g - maybe cos he is very relaxed when you pick him up

Sorry for the hijack again ... I think your Max:love: looks like my Mouse:love: My bunnies seem to be getting bigger, she is only 3kg but Joe feels half her weight at 2.5g - maybe cos he is very relaxed when you pick him up

:love: Loved your piccies on the other thread of all three. Esp Lady Boo :love:

Back