• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit struggles to breath when out of her cage

174Mandy

New Kit
hi I have a rabbit she's approx 6yrs old she shares her hutch with her mummy . The last 3 times I have taken her out of her cage to let her have a run round the garden she seems to struggle to breath !!! Her mouth opens quite far as if she is gasping for breathe but within 15 minutes of putting her back in her cage she's fine as if nothing has happened . She's eating fine drinking fine and very active eyes are clear too , does anyone have any idea why this could be happening ???

No but I would take her to a vets to check her over. My rabbit runs around the house all the time and she certainly isn't gasping for breath. She may have an infection, rabbits can get pneumonia so she may need a course of antibiotics.

hi I have a rabbit she's approx 6yrs old she shares her hutch with her mummy . The last 3 times I have taken her out of her cage to let her have a run round the garden she seems to struggle to breath !!! Her mouth opens quite far as if she is gasping for breathe but within 15 minutes of putting her back in her cage she's fine as if nothing has happened . She's eating fine drinking fine and very active eyes are clear too , does anyone have any idea why this could be happening ???

Hello

You need to take your Rabbit to a Vet as a matter of urgency. Mouth breathing is a very serious symptom in Rabbits. If it occurs only during/after exercise and the Rabbit is in all other ways well within themselves then a heart problem is one strong possibility.

Is your Rabbit spayed ? If not then unfortunately Uterine Adenocarcinoma is another possibility. Cancer of the uterus is common in older (5+) unspayed Does and the cancer often spreads to the lungs. This would cause a compromised lung function-ie the 'struggling to breathe'.

I hope that you are able to get your Rabbit seen by a Vet this afternoon

Good luck x

I have no idea, My Rabbits sprint across our house and sadly don't have breathing problems. Is she panicking about something? A nervous Rabbit? I would defo get her to the vets with that and I really hope you get to the bottom of it, you must be worried sick :(. Best of luck. xx

Hi Mandy and welcome to RU :wave:

I don't know how long the problem has been going on with your rabbit mouth breathing, but you should take her to see a vet as soon as possible.

Look here, published by the Rabbit Welfare Association:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/reso...When your rabbit needs to see the vet now.pdf

Mouth breathing is one of the rabbit emergencies!

Good luck at the vet xx

I can only echo what others have said, it really is urgent that you get her to a rabbit knowledgeable vet. I have had a bunny who would mouth breath with exertion and also when stressed, with him it was a bacterial infection in his lungs.

I hope your bunny will be OK and whatever is causing her mouth breathing is treatable.

Back