• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moving Indoor bunnies outside :-(

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Now i have lost my beloved stormy the pressure is on for me to bond aurora ( aged about 2 or 3) with another young bun and move outside :cry: this is something I do NOT want to do!! In all the 20 years of bunnies I have only had house bunnies. I hate the thought of outside bunnies. How do you keep th safe???
Aurora is in our small bedroom. Our eldest son has his own room and our baby ( 21 months) is still in our room as he cannot share a room with his big brother ( River has autism ) Anyway, husband is kicking up a fuss about our baby still sharing our room ( I don't see the big deal, am I missing something ?) Rowan is very happy where he is and loves sharing with mummy.

I have been giving myself a head ache looking at kennels with runs attached and summer houses. I honestly do not know where to start. ( can't I just buy a shed and stick hubby in it??)

With a kennel would it be best to have wooden flooring throughout? So that they do not burrow out? Would re laying the lino from the bunny room into the kennel to protect the floor be a good idea?
How do I prevent bunnies getting too hot/ cold?
How do I make it secure? Protect bunnies from wind? People? Other animals?

Are summer houses a good idea? Or is ventilation am issue? Are kennels too drafty?

I know that you cannot put indoor buns out in the winter as they need to grow a winter coat. When is the best time?

I honestly cannot believe I have to think about these things :cry:

our house is absolutely tiny and there really is no where else for them to go indoors :(

I'm in the process of moving my bunnies outside.
I went with the kennel option, and they will also have access to more space whenever we are at home.
We've ended up insulating the indoor part of the kennel, but I was told in a thread I started a few weeks ago that it's not absolutely necessary, that you can just provide them a straw filled box for shelter inside the kennel.
We're putting lino on floor in the indoor bit, and the kennel is on some patio slabs so we are not resurfacing the run part.
We've got secure locks in the doors, and are making an effort to make it draft-proof.
I'm hoping to move them outside in a couple of weeks.

The whole project is working out quite costly, but then again the insulating, painting, floral decorations and all that weren't really that necessary...

I'm sorry you're having to do this - must be a horrible prospect.

HoneyBear on here has been posting about her kennel - going right back to when she first got it - so you might find her posts interesting. I know the company she used carried out modifications for her, such as the size of the 'kennel' bit.

I will search honeybear's ythreads
yes it is horrible :cry: I fought so hard to keep tthem indoors. At least my elderly bunnies got to stay as house buns for the rest of their lives. That was a fight worth winning!

I will search honeybear's ythreads
yes it is horrible :cry: I fought so hard to keep tthem indoors. At least my elderly bunnies got to stay as house buns for the rest of their lives. That was a fight worth winning!

Yes, her posts have certainly whetted my appetite for a kennel.

All mine are now outside. I do sympathise with wanting them in the house. Mind you its a bit different for me because I have eight - two pairs and a quad, so three set ups and it is much easier having them all close to each other.

I have three sheds. The quad have an aviary style run attached, Mottle and Peaches and the Hares both have a welfare huch company run (M and P's is three feet high and the hares is four feet. I would always recommend the four foot one, I can sit on a little stool and admire them in comfort in the four foot run).

Two of the sheds are boarded inside (M and P's has that silver foil stuff as unsulation as well) and they all have lots of hidey places and plenty of straw and hay.

With sturdy (16g or 19g) mesh and goood quality wood they will be perfectly safe. The hares really do seem to love being outside.

Hopefully your little Aurora and her new friend (when she gets one) will be happy as anything.

I love the idea of a kennel, nice and sheltered but also fresh air.

Good luck with your decision.

Eeeee I have just seen it :D my husband will be very comfy in there :thumb::lol:

Indeed. You could then (if he behaves) add a run-around system into another outdoor run on the lawn. He'd probably have to lose weight, though, to squeeze through the tunnel.:thumb:

Indeed. You could then (if he behaves) add a run-around system into another outdoor run on the lawn. He'd probably have to lose weight, though, to squeeze through the tunnel.:thumb:
You can get human-sized solid plastic tunnels (water mains), and they don't need to be fox-proof, right?! :lol:

You can get human-sized solid plastic tunnels (water mains), and they don't need to be fox-proof, right?! :lol:

Yes, but why make it easy for him? Let him see the grass - and tell him that if he wants to get to it he has to go through hoops! I think he's very lucky, anyway, we could have just given him a small shed with no window.:lol:

Devils advocate here but I agree with your hubby on this one. 21 months is a long time to be sharing a room with a little one and there comes a time where one or both parents want their own space. Your remaining bun could live for another 10 years, do you still see your little one sharing with you by then? No? Then this is going to happen regardless so try not to think of it as being forced by your hubby more a case of it's the only option. There are some fantastic outdoor setups and I'm sure you will soon get used to them being out there. You may not sleep for a few weeks though to be honest, I've only had outdoor buns but would often wake up in the night and panic I'd left the door unlocked (poor hubby had many mid night trips outside :oops:)

ETA: By the time you have completed your set up the weather will be warm enough for her to go straight out! Provindng it doesn't take you till November! :lol:

Last edited:
It might take me until next November to save up the money for one :shock::lol: so Rowan has to stay small so that he doesn't outgrow his tiny compact cot

21 months isn't that long. Rowan is still a baby really. The plan was for him to share with river, his big brother, as soon as he was sleeping through. He is still not sleeping through and his big brother is violent and unpredictable, so that turns that plan on it's head:?

I agree that there isn't much else we can do :cry: I am just not happy about it ( who would guess ?:lol:)

I am glad that all of my oldies saw out their days as house bunnies. That really was worth fighting for. Aurora is young and healthy so she may be ok as a outside bun. I don't believe gypsy or storm would have survived the winters being as old and arthritic as they were bless them.

I will be worried and no doubt I will post some stupid questions as to me it is like starting from the beginning again x

I have had to move my new rabbits outside - the joy of renting. I am beside myself with worry. Tonight I am standing the guinea pig hutch (empty) in front of their hutch so I feel they are a little safe. It terrifies me.

Hopefully I shall clear the shed by July and everyone can move in there. I will still be terrified but will feel a little better.

Back