• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet thinks Hollie has a broken toe .....

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
....... but has said there's not a lot they can do about it.

I noticed it on Friday so took her to the vets, they said they suspected a break and to give her metacam for the swelling and any pain and to come back on Tuesday.

Last night the (different) vet said that I could have it xrayed if I wanted but that the treatment would still be the same even if a break was confirmed....... I wasn't keen on putting her through an anaesthetic just for confirmation if it wasn't going to change the outcome in any way. The vet agreed.

She has told me to keep an eye on it, carry on with the Metacam for another week and see how she goes and if there is any change in her to go back.

It doesn't seem to be troubling her and she is running round and putting her weight on it.

Also, when the vet was poking and prodding around Hollie didn't seem to be bothered by it, she didn't react at all.

But I'm worried that her nail is sticking out (it's her right front paw, outside toe) and that she may catch it and make it worse. I asked the vet if Hollie would learn to compensate for this but she couldn't really say.

Do you think their advice sound right? I'd have thought that they should try and re-align it or something?

Thanks

xx

I do think that the advice sounds about right. My Herbie has a broken toe, he broke it years ago. His is on his back foot, one of the middle toes. I noticed when he was limping a bit and I was examining him. I took him to the vets, who then referred me to the Royal D!ck (canny write the rude word) Vet School. They X-Rayed him, luckily Herbie freezes to the spot so they never even had to give him a GA for the X-Ray.

They basically said that the toe is that small that trying to mend the fracture would be difficult, then the other option was to take the toe off. They said to just give him Metacam for a while, then keep an eye on him and the toe, and if it started to droop down or cause bother then they would remove it. He has been OK for years.

I'd imagine that Supervet Noel could fix it, but tbh Herbie seems fine.

I noticed it on Friday so took her to the vets, they said they suspected a break and to give her metacam for the swelling and any pain and to come back on Tuesday.

Last night the (different) vet said that I could have it xrayed if I wanted but that the treatment would still be the same even if a break was confirmed....... I wasn't keen on putting her through an anaesthetic just for confirmation if it wasn't going to change the outcome in any way. The vet agreed.

She has told me to keep an eye on it, carry on with the Metacam for another week and see how she goes and if there is any change in her to go back.

It doesn't seem to be troubling her and she is running round and putting her weight on it.

Also, when the vet was poking and prodding around Hollie didn't seem to be bothered by it, she didn't react at all.

But I'm worried that her nail is sticking out (it's her right front paw, outside toe) and that she may catch it and make it worse. I asked the vet if Hollie would learn to compensate for this but she couldn't really say.

Do you think their advice sound right? I'd have thought that they should try and re-align it or something?

Thanks

xx

It sounds as though there may be a dislocation given the angle of her toe. Did the Vet suggest treating it as would be done in a human ie strapping the toe into position , IYSWIM ?

I too would be concerned about future injury if the toe remained sticking out, especially if Hollie does a lot of digging. I have had a Rabbit who had a toe amputated after she fractured and dislocated it. So that would be one option if things do not improve. At least Hollie does not appear to be in any discomfort, which is the main thing.

Thanks

xx

This sounds about right to me too. Not a lot you can do for broken toes. I would make sure that nail that might catch is cut short. I think any 'strapping' might cause more problems than it's worth. (that's the 'human' treatment). These things take a while to heal, and if she's doing well on it, I would do the Metacam and watch and wait ...

Thanks guys, she did say at one point that maybe splinting it would be an option but then she changed her mind and said best to just leave it and see how it goes, she said we can still x-ray it etc down the line if it gets any worse or seems to be troubling her .... but she said at this point she wouldn't be looking at doing anything invasive (ie doing a supervet and pinning it etc).

Hollie does like to dig so I'm really quite worried about that, and she's still quite young and giddy and has to do everything at 100mph, bless her.

I asked the vet about trimming her nail but she said it was already quite short - only just a bit longer than the wick.

Poor Hollie, I feel terrible that she's done it in the first place but feel even worse that I can't do much to help her!

xx

Back