• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

decorative fencing for enclosure

joybell

Warren Scout
I am going to reorganise my two enclosures into one large bunny garden, but would like the fencing to look nicer than the "Steptoes" back yard that it looks now. My OH says the garden is ruined with the ugly wire fencing. Wood is out for obvious reasons, and I am having difficulty finding anything practical and smart looking. Has anyone any suggestions? Cost is not a problem as I never tell OH what I spend on my bunnies - he'd have a heart attack! :D

Do you mean fencing to keep your rabbits inclosed? If so I would go with mesh lined wood. Mesh on the rabbit's side ofcourse!

Just realised that you said 'decorative'. I would want a white wooden picket fence - mesh on the inside ofcourse.

Do you mean fencing to keep your rabbits inclosed? If so I would go with mesh lined wood. Mesh on the rabbit's side ofcourse!

Just realised that you said 'decorative'. I would want a white wooden picket fence - mesh on the inside ofcourse.

The only problem with wood is that on the other side of the enclosure are my two free range big bunnies who like nothing better than chewing wooden fences, balustrades and decking! I would love a nice white wooden picket fence but I don't think it would last long. Thank you anyway:D

Are you looking for a secure fox proof enclosure for exercising or just something to contain them whilst you're out with them?

I'd suggest a combo for the later. Weld mesh is much better looking that chicken wire as it will keep it's shape and not bow out. So I'd go for a picket fence that looks good and then line the inside with weld mesh. That way it will look good for people and be chew proof.

Are you looking for a secure fox proof enclosure for exercising or just something to contain them whilst you're out with them?

I'd suggest a combo for the later. Weld mesh is much better looking that chicken wire as it will keep it's shape and not bow out. So I'd go for a picket fence that looks good and then line the inside with weld mesh. That way it will look good for people and be chew proof.

It's for the enclosure around their shed. They have a run- around from the shed to a completely enclosed area where their wendy house is, which is completely fox proof. I need the nice fencing to keep the big bunny boys away from the other smaller six rabbits. I have found Unipanels made by Heidles which might work although not exactly beautiful! I looked at picket fences (plastic) but mostly white and gaps too wide for my small bunnies! I have three dogs which I hope are deterrents to foxes, and motion sensors. Big (5 kg)bunnies are free range but have their own garage accessed by a large cat flap. Have you ever known fox using cat flaps? Thank you for your suggestions.

I don't think a fox would have trouble with a catflap, they'll rip a hutch apart to get access so a cat flap would be easy.

There is that green powder coated security fencing that might look better - would blend and you could soften it more by adding rabbit safe climbing plants (plant on the outside to protect the roots) e.g. a climbing rose. This sort of thing: http://www.collinsonfencing.com/mesh-panel-fencing.html

I think it comes in various heights. You'd need to check bar spacing but that might not be so much of an issue with giants :D

I guess the other thing would be to have a look at some railing style fencing - you might get it second hand on ebay. You'd need to fix weld mesh over it to narrow the gaps but if you sprayed the mesh to match the railing colour it could look neat.

Thank you Tamsin for your suggestions. I'm amazed that a fox could rip a hutch apart never mind a cat flap, how terrifying!

Back