• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Mxi exposure, freaking out, please help :(

lilyfish

New Kit
Hi, been lurking for a while but this is my first post, so hi :)

Recently I acquired a second bunny as a friend for my first (Fu). His name is Tiggywinkle (out of beatrix potter, Tiggy for short). He is approx. 4 months old.

Today, I did an incredibly stupid thing, and am absolutely distraught. I'd always wanted to take my bunnies to the beach. It wasn't a hot day and I brought them plenty of moist veggies as well as a water bowl, and it was only for a couple of hours.

However, the stop I was planning to go to wasn't in use, and so I got off earlier, at a place called Dawlish Warren. It's a mini seaside resort with lots of fields around it, as well as the beach. I initially sat on the edge of one of the grassy fields and let them run around for a few mins (they have leads) but was worried they'd eat some poisonous weed or something so I moved to the beach itself, where they had a whale of a time digging up the sand etc. Again we weren't there for long, around 20mins or so. I went back to the train station but missed my train by seconds, and so had another hour to kill. I sat on a picnic bench on a patio, but still near the fields, with them for a little while, then moved to a grassy bank where it was sunny. This latter part I think is where it was most dangerous as it was dusk. I didn't see any mosquitoes and it was a field that wasn't 'wild'- very short cut, mainly for kids to play on, with lots of arcades and food stalls around. They were in their little carrier for this time. There were also a fair few dogs around for the entire trip but none got within a metre or two of the buns.

Eventually I caught the train back, but on the way, it suddenly occurred to me to check of there had been a myxi outbreak in the area, cos i'm paranoid about that kinda thing. Dawlish Warren's website had a page with a list of the animal species that lived there, and under the rabbit section it said there were myxi outbreaks every now and again. Obviously I freaked the F out.

Since coming home I gave Tiggy a very gentle bathe with some animal friendly shampoo (he was thoroughly dried and the room is very warm so he's pretty much all dry now), cleaned out their carrier and thrown out all the hay/newspaper that was in there.

Fu came too but he is vaccinated so I didn't bathe him.

Am I being paranoid? Just how easy is it to catch myxi? Bearing in mind they weren't on grass for long, and when they were on the grass at dusk they were in their carrier and it was very very short grass (also I never saw any bugs flying around). Is there anything else to be done other than bathing and chucking out the hay? Should I bathe Fu? Is there much danger to Fu? Would an emergency vaccination in the morning for Tiggy be of any use? I was planning on getting him done anyway when he is neutered in a couple of weeks.

Really sorry for the length of this but I'm so upset right now and really need to know what to do. If there is anything that CAN be done, that is :(

Don't apologuse for the length, the more information the better.

I would say irregardless take both Tiggy and Fu to the vet for a wee consultation. Firstly it will put your mind at ease, which is half the battle. Also innoculations are great but I don't think it's 100% guarantee that they cannot be at risk of a disease, especially if there were a breakout from Tigs where he would be so close contact.

I am not sure there's much point in trying to think of treating etc if you do not know for sure but I definitely think it's worth writing it off by having them both in a veterinary examination.

Thing is it's absolutely impossible to say how little or high the risk is for that area. And even at that, a low risk is still a risk, so it wouldn't be fair to try and judge how likely (I don't think).

Just call the vet, explain you would like an appointment for 1 rabbit anyway as X,Y,Z and also explain the situation and ask if they feel you should go in is another way.

I'm personally not aware of a post-vaccination. The idea (as I'm aware, unless new developments are made) is that it's more about supportive care and some treatment that can be applied by the vet, although an unvaccinated rabbit if they develop classic symptoms of Myxomatosis are at serious risk and often recommended that they are offered to be euthanised as it would otherwise be a span of time (few weeks potentially, I believe) where they will be suffering. That's why it's so recommended to vaccinate in the first place.

With a vaccinated rabbit I think it's less predictable but the chances of survival are (generally speaking) much higher though may well need intensive care from a vet.

But I don't think you can get the vaccine after a rabbit contracts Myx. and expect it do fair well as the virus will already have a hold and the treatment is designed almost like a sponge - to absorb as much potential damage as possible, rather than eradicates it. Which is why it would be important to call your vet if you are concerned that either have contracted it and make the appointment for both.

I might be overreacting, as the only info I have on the area having myx is this webpage where it says the rabbit population gets outbreaks from time to time http://www.dawlishwarren.co.uk/mammals.html the field we were on for the longest time at dusk is unlikely to have any bunnies living on it as it's just a trampled area all the kids are on with the amusement rides and arcades around it.

I desperately want to think I'm just being overly paranoid :(

Fu got seriously ill 2 months ago with gas from dodgy grass he'd eaten (but it was very much a flash-in-the-pan-thing, it arrived and disappeared in 24 hrs), and I got Tiggy as a kind of 'welcome home' present for him. They've been inseparable ever since. Also lost 3 buns in a violent fox attack (which i witnessed the end of, absolutely horrific) this time last year. Mum and 2 of her year old bubbas. Urghhh I just cannot take any more bun related stress (and vet bills...praying mum will help me out when I call her in the morning)

Well I can definitely see why you would be paranoid and worried about it, you've obviously suffered some very heavy losses in the past and scares from Fu.

I don't know what vet-wise is in your area, but some vets will allow you to call for a little consultation (basically to know if it is something to bring them in or not), alternatively there are things like Blue Cross and PDSA, even RSPCA all have their own vets and some can perform things such as discounted checks and fee waivers - you can contact them also instead of your own vet if you are worried about costs.

Personally I always err on the side of caution - have there been any symptoms? Also the website does seem to think it has a bigger issue with VHD than Myx and I do believe that VHD is airborne as well as passed on through food etc. Although it does mention some positive notes about both (eg myx being rare and numbers on increase).

As I say, I can't offer advice on how likely it is - it might be extremely slim, it might be quite large - but the issue with likeliness is that it's not a guarantee but if costs are part of your worry, I would definitely say to look at animal charities (may be more in England or even some local charities, I've seen, can raise a pot for people to apply for veterinary aid) and see if there is a free consultation line - they may well think it's not even worth the trouble of you taking them in, but I think that's really for a veterinary practice to determine more than myself.

Definitely would like to know how you get on tomorrow though :)

Thank you, I appreciate the support. Emailed the Dawlish Warren nature reserve website to see if they have any info on myxi outbreaks. I would go to an RSPCA vet but mine is quite literally next door to me (seriously, 2 minute walk, it's great!) which makes everything a LOT easier. I don't drive to anything else would require bus or train blehh.

I would obtain flea treatment from the Vet for both of your Rabbits as one of the main vectors of Myxomatosis are blood sucking insects-eg fleas, mosquitoes.

I really would advise you to have both Rabbits vaccinated yearly from now on. Also, it may be worth thinking about how safe it actually is to take Rabbits (a prey species) out on leads to places where other animals (dogs) may be or where something 'strange' could startle the Rabbits and make them panic whilst on the lead. I have known of fatalities occur as a result of this :cry:

Its lovely that you enjoy spending so much time with your Rabbits, but maybe now is a good time to re-assess how you continue to do that :)

Good luck at the Vets

Jack's-Jane: Luckily the beach we were on was a no-dogs one, and whenever we were near dogs on the grass they stayed in their carrier. Still, we have several dogs at home so they're quite used to 'em.

Anyway, good news! Took Tiggy to the vet and they said a vaccination post-exposure could still be reasonably effective, so he's been vaccinated for my peace of mind. Fingers crossed he'll be ok :)

Jack's-Jane: Luckily the beach we were on was a no-dogs one, and whenever we were near dogs on the grass they stayed in their carrier. Still, we have several dogs at home so they're quite used to 'em.

Anyway, good news! Took Tiggy to the vet and they said a vaccination post-exposure could still be reasonably effective, so he's been vaccinated for my peace of mind. Fingers crossed he'll be ok :)

Well that's brilliant! Did the vet say if they had an idea of how likely it was? So glad to hear your minds at ease :) < (sorry I've just realised today how evil these smiley faces actually look).

This sounds positive :thumb:

Best of luck for a good outcome :D (The smileys don't look that bad, do they? :lol:)

The vets did say they knew in general of Dawlish Warren having outbreaks of myx , but i just got an email from the Dawlish Warren people saying they haven't seen any cases this year yet! I'm fairly sure everything will be ok, the chances of Tiggy catching it AND for the vacc to be no good are tiny; he'd have to be the unluckiest bunny on the planet!! He seems perfectly healthy, I bought them a feast of different veggies and we're chilling on my bed watching stupid youtube vids now ^_^

Back