• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and stairs

My two Rosie Dutch Cross normal bunny and Pie Nethie X Monster :lol: can both get up stairs and down very well but they don't bother :) it could be its dark up there :lol: but i dont tend to encourage ;) if they get up there and cause havoc its not bunny proof, too many nooks and crannies to hide in:?

they have both had a look half way up but generally come back down on their own :thumb:

Depends on the bunny.
Both of mine can, Waffles loves running up and down. DP hates it and wants to get back to his zone ASAP

My bun figured out stairs, but I was a bit nervous at first thinking that she may step over the edge of the bannisters. I sat with her while she explored and after a few sessions she worked out how to get up and down the stairs without any problems. So much so that she sprints up the stairs when she hears her treat box being rattled - short video of her running up the stairs :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzCKOu8yEY&feature=youtu.be

Out of 8 buns - only 2 of mine will do the stairs - Prudhoe thinks they are great fun and flies up and down binkying at the same time :shock: - but he is a little Polish breed and very light on his feet. Bug his wife - is quite a bit heavier and she can do the stairs but does so very slowly and carefully:love:

The rest of them ignore the stairs - happy to jump up and down on boxes and sofas, but the stairs are just a bit too scary - and it's better that way as at least we they stay safe upstairs.

Athena (lionhead cross) has no problems, but we try to keep her strictly in the dining room/kitchen and well away from the stairs. She only reaches them when she goes on a "prison break" - but usually, she's distracted by cat food and/or the living room. :p

Boris my Belgian hare X used to race up and down the stairs, although I worried about him falling! So not sure whether I would discourage it personally, although I'm sure many bunnies are fine getting up and down but if they didn't need to go up like they had all the space and stuff they needed downstairs and you were happy with them just being downstairs then I personally would block them off. Boris had free range of my room and only used to go up and down if I went to the bathroom and he followed, otherwise the landing door was closed.

Boris my Belgian hare X used to race up and down the stairs, although I worried about him falling! So not sure whether I would discourage it personally, although I'm sure many bunnies are fine getting up and down but if they didn't need to go up like they had all the space and stuff they needed downstairs and you were happy with them just being downstairs then I personally would block them off. Boris had free range of my room and only used to go up and down if I went to the bathroom and he followed, otherwise the landing door was closed.

Awwww Boris following you to the bathroom x He was beautiful. I remember the pics you posted on a recent thread.

One of mine (Bella, the little monkey) was able to RUN up and down the stairs, but Boris never got the hang of it bless him. He used to watch her with a confused look on his face :lol: as if he was going "HOW are you doing that!?". She was a dwarf lop and he was a tiny cross breed.

Mine aren't supposed to go downstairs but at the moment if you leave the gate open for even a minute Mini is down them like a shot. Think it's because she knows that's where the grass is!

Back