• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horrendous. Difficult reading

I think killing something for a publicity stunt is not acceptable
However..I can see their point in that people who eat meat are complaining.
The DJs ate the rabbit afterwards and pointed out he had a better life and quicker death than most animals bred for meat.
They wanted to show the hypocrisy of people who buy little plastic wrapped parcels of meat from the shops and totally distance their brain from the fact those parcels were part of an animal that probably suffered an awful life and even worse death so they can enjoy a barbeque ect
If they had live animals in supermarkets being killed in public I expect the demand for meat would fall drastically

I dont agree with the line of thinking at all. Just because I eat meat doesnt mean I have no place in welfare and doesnt mean that anyone who eats meat arent careful to source a fairly raised quality of meat. Same with people buying eggs and milk surely or even leather.

I dont think they can tell me a twitching rabbit has 100% been destroyed pain free either.

And i really think their act was hypocritical in itself. Trying to make aan example of meat eaters saying by using a rabbit as bait, i fail to see how is differenydifferent from the agriculture they are pinpointing in the first place.

I don't care what excuse he makes up after the fact - his behaviour was inappropriate and shocking. Killing animals for food, in context, isn't unexpected, even if it is distasteful to some. If you look for that, you'll find it. But when you're taking part in a radio debate, you don't expect an animal to be killed.

To me it doesn't sound in any way a humane killing, and entirely like a publicity stunt.

I am not saying I think it was right..just saying I can see the point they are trying to make
and if you think an animal twitching a few times is inhumane then try watching film of abbatoirs..even freedom food ones

I just saw this as well, its vile and disgusting.

I get the ''point'' he was trying to make but to murder an innocent animal for a stunt and for shock value isn't the answer. Why not just speak out about the conditions on farms or about becoming a vegetarian? Anything surely would be better than this...

I get the ''point'' he was trying to make but to murder an innocent animal for a stunt and for shock value isn't the answer. Why not just speak out about the conditions on farms or about becoming a vegetarian? Anything surely would be better than this...

Yes, to me what he did is actually far more removed from reality than talking about conditions farm animals are kept in etc. Farm animals aren't killed by bringing them on to a radio show then hitting them with a bicycle pump, or whatever they said he did.

I am not saying I think it was right..just saying I can see the point they are trying to make
and if you think an animal twitching a few times is inhumane then try watching film of abbatoirs..even freedom food ones

I know, your first sentence was that you thought it was inexcusible, im not suggesting and i dont think anyway, anyone else is.

Though ive seen those videos, yes. But the argument of eating meat is slightly off topic to this. I resprct vegetarians and vegans and i would be appreciate being offered the same respect for my own choices also. But maks no mistake i am not ignorant to videos and some going ons but you also do not know what meat and my ethics to it are

but aren't all animals "innocent"? that was his point..a fluffy baby rabbit gets this response...yet cows, sheep, pigs, ect are killed dreadfully in their thousands each day and those very people up in arms over the rabbit..which was later eaten I think..happily trot off to Sainsburys to buy their sausages and chops

but aren't all animals "innocent"? that was his point..a fluffy baby rabbit gets this response...yet cows, sheep, pigs, ect are killed dreadfully in their thousands each day and those very people up in arms over the rabbit..which was later eaten I think..happily trot off to Sainsburys to buy their sausages and chops

Yes of course all animals are innocent, which is why I'm saying why couldn't he have just talked about the awful conditions on farms or encouraged veganism and being a vegetarian rather than murder further innocent animals?

To me its like saying using guns is the only way to stop guns or something to that effect...

Personally I'd have the exact same reaction if someone murdered a dog or rabbit in front of me than if they murdered a cow or a pig..

Also I don't want to be a hypocrite, I am a meat eater, I want to change that some day I really do, I've already been trying alternatives.

He's totally missed the point though. Slaughter houses (not all) will stun animals before they're killed so at least they're unaware of the actual act

Def agree Spring. I think where i find hes really missed the point as well the stunning is that a rabbit has no nutritional value and wasnt actually killed for meat he was killed for a publicity stunt - and that is a different context.

If i remember rightly as well (dont quote me i might be wrong) but animal was essentially chased about so it wasnt even clean in any anyway.

He's totally missed the point though. Slaughter houses (not all) will stun animals before they're killed so at least they're unaware of the actual act

True, but sometimes the stunning causes utter distress.

I've seen those videos of where they sort of ''miss' with a stun gun so they are only partially stunned or still aware I some way. I've also seen videos of cows being hit and punched because they aren't doing what the human wants...

Its just awful. I know what you mean though.

But then again there are the halal slaughter places where the animals are not stunned or anything, its not ''allowed''...

True, but sometimes the stunning causes utter distress.

I've seen those videos of where they sort of ''miss' with a stun gun so they are only partially stunned or still aware I some way. I've also seen videos of cows being hit and punched because they aren't doing what the human wants...

Its just awful. I know what you mean though.

But then again there are the halal slaughter places where the animals are not stunned or anything, its not ''allowed''...
Yes I'd agree with all you've said. There's never, sadly, going to be a perfect way too kill animals for meat. Just a very emotive thing that he's done and unfortunately he's getting all the press that he wanted

I think it may have a good effect as people are talking about it so it may make some think about how the meat they eat is killed. He is a meat eater so he is just saying..be aware that the packet of mince you are buying used to be alive..don't shout for animal welfare while eating them!

if he had announced on air that his wife/partner had made him a rabbit stew and he was eating it for lunch there wouldn't have been an outcry..the only reason being someone else killed it

Last edited:
I agree with Sarah. Its like chopping off someones head to make a point that doing it is bad :?

I get the point he was trying to make, but IMO he went about it in totally the wrong way.

I agree with Sarah. Its like chopping off someones head to make a point that doing it is bad :?

I get the point he was trying to make, but IMO he went about it in totally the wrong way.
nope that isn't the same as chopping off someones head is totally wrong and illegal..eating meat isn't
as said the only difference to him announcing he was eating his ham sandwiches is that someone else killed the animal involved..and probably in a much worse way

But theres a lot meat eaters who cant stomach either reindeer or rabbit cause they relate it to christmas or fluffy bunnies. I do think he would have critism with rabbit stew. Rabbit meat (least here) isnt exactly easy to get hold of, not sure where youd have to go for it.

I get his point, though i dont agree with it, i just dont think he thought it through either. Not just on the killing an animal which im sorry wasnt for meat - even if he did eat it - it was a public stint to graze a reaction, but i think a lot of people, me included, doesnf even think it was a well made point. To me its like killing a deer to then say "oh i have your attention? Now let me talk to you about cars".

It just wasnt well thought out and caused the death of a rabbit for a point thats not really well conveyed and opened it out as more questionable

Back