• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Walking rabbit using harness

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello all :wave:

Just wondering if anyone walks their rabbit using a harness?
I want to get one for Flo as she cannot have free range at all in the garden (we have ponds, a pool etc). I thought it would be nice if she could explore the garden but not be in danger.
How do you train them to accept the harness? Flo is a bit fiesty in nature so I'm not sure she would appreciate being handled too much! :lol:
Is it worth it in your experience?

Thanks a bunch!

harnesses are generally not recommended. as you know, rabbits are very fragile and if something scares them they are likely to bolt and could break their spine or similar. they are quite likely to get scared as you are taking them away from their "safe place" and they are not able to bolt into a hide as they would in a run. personally, i just don't think its a very enjoyable experience for the rabbits at all.

I want to get one for Flo as she cannot have free range at all in the garden (we have ponds, a pool etc). I thought it would be nice if she could explore the garden but not be in danger.
How do you train them to accept the harness? Flo is a bit fiesty in nature so I'm not sure she would appreciate being handled too much! :lol:

Thanks a bunch!

Oooh I'd like to try this too, having house buns I do feel terribly guilty they don't get outside :(

Oooh I'd like to try this too, having house buns I do feel terribly guilty they don't get outside :(

don't feel guilty, indoor rabbits can have just as good a life as outdoor ones! they adapt to the environment they are used to. if you want them to experience the outdoors, a secure run is a much better solution :)

don't feel guilty, indoor rabbits can have just as good a life as outdoor ones! they adapt to the environment they are used to. if you want them to experience the outdoors, a secure run is a much better solution :)

We have a tiny back yard and its all stones and steps, I really hate it and i have never trusted my kids out there however my front garden is very big but we have wood chipped what was the grassy area, the rest is concrete with our patio table, bbq ect. Can they go on wood chippings? or is this dangerous for them? Obviously it would be treat time as they get the run of our downstairs which is quite big and our house is through lounge to kitchen so it is a huge open space but it would be nice to let them visit outdoors once in a while :love:

xx

I'd suggest fencing parts off with puppy panels which can be moved.
Lots of people are against harnesses as they are quite dangerous!

harnesses are generally not recommended. as you know, rabbits are very fragile and if something scares them they are likely to bolt and could break their spine or similar. they are quite likely to get scared as you are taking them away from their "safe place" and they are not able to bolt into a hide as they would in a run. personally, i just don't think its a very enjoyable experience for the rabbits at all.

Good point! Maybe I'll see if I can extend her run instead.

Thanks a bunch!

I know many people are against harnesses, but I think it totally depends on the rabbit. I have had two rabbits that have enjoyed being able to explore greater territories on the harness. When you know your rabbit well, you would soon be aware if your rabbit is in distress.

One rabbit with me now travels really well. When we stop at service stations he gets out of the car on his harness and we walk around. He has a great time and adjusts immediately. My other rabbits wouldn't want this at all, and one is very stressed about travelling altogether.

Such an individual thing! :D

I know many people are against harnesses, but I think it totally depends on the rabbit. I have had two rabbits that have enjoyed being able to explore greater territories on the harness. When you know your rabbit well, you would soon be aware if your rabbit is in distress.

One rabbit with me now travels really well. When we stop at service stations he gets out of the car on his harness and we walk around. He has a great time and adjusts immediately. My other rabbits wouldn't want this at all, and one is very stressed about travelling altogether.

Such an individual thing! :D

that's adorable :love:

I think it's not whether they 'like' or 'dislike' being on the harness, at the end of the day if something spooks them and they jerk or flip or jump in a certain way, you are looking at injury as there is quite a high percentage of happening.

That is why people don't like using them, I believe.

I think it's not whether they 'like' or 'dislike' being on the harness, at the end of the day if something spooks them and they jerk or flip or jump in a certain way, you are looking at injury as there is quite a high percentage of happening.

That is why people don't like using them, I believe.

Indeed you are correct. There is risk of this happening on and off harness.

I rehomed a little Nethie to a lovely girl, having fostered her and taken her to be spayed and looked after her for many months. She had found her ideal home. Within three days I got a call to say she was dead.

A cat had spooked her in the garden and she had run into a low picket fence and broke her neck. She *wasn't* wearing a harness.

You need to know your rabbit and how they behave in various situations. There's no guarantees any bun is safe anywhere, sadly

Last edited:
Oh god, I have a harness bought for Rosie - I never saw anything bad of them but I've not used it yet. Kinda scared me off bothering, I thought it would help me get her outside a bit

I also believe some rabbits would tolerate them/not be bothered by them, my friend used one for her rabbit and he actively came up to her, sat nicely while it was on and seemed to enjoy being able to potter the garden, he was very laid back and the garden very well enclosed and quiet (he wasn't allowed free range due to plants). I have to admit when I first got beano I did try one having only had experience with my friends rabbits and I was only 13 at the time and she didn't panick but just slipped straight out, I never tried it again. So even if the individual tolerates it I wouldn't as i just don't think they're secure, too much risk of the rabbit slipping out or getting spooked and injured.

My garden back at home is huge so beano and Gordon had a large run but occasionally got free range like in the snow so I could open the door and they could come and go as they wish as Gordon wasn't keen and id use the run and pen panels to block off areas.

I'm not sure how good Flo would be, she doesn't get spooked easily as she's pretty feisty. But I'm not sure how good she would actually be wearing it (like putting it on etc). Maybe I'll leave it!

I would love to give her free range occasionally but unfortunately it just isn't possible :(

Well that's my worry I mean Rosie doesn't scare easily, she spends days following the beardie about and not phased by other dogs etc. But then again she's indoor and it's always the safey of her being indoors so I'm a bit too much of a scaredy pants to risk her panicking outside cause I can't guarantee it

Well that's my worry I mean Rosie doesn't scare easily, she spends days following the beardie about and not phased by other dogs etc. But then again she's indoor and it's always the safey of her being indoors so I'm a bit too much of a scaredy pants to risk her panicking outside cause I can't guarantee it

How I got my indoor rabbit used to the harness was I put it on him indoors (without the lead) quite a few times. It didn't bother him at all. Then he had it on during outdoor playtime, again just the harness. Then we tried little walks with the lead and again, he couldn't care about the harness, he just went sniffing everywhere as normal. It meant I could restrain him when he was going out of bounds - this didn't bother him either.

He's a super chilled bun though. He was in the kitchen with me the other day, and a pair of underpants fell off the airer on top of him. He couldn't care less and carried on nosing around, wearing them on his back ... :lol:

:lol: well that's one bunny who doesn't have any cares to give. I just don't know what I'd do with myself if it ended up causing Rosie grief :S Who knew owning such a big ball of fluff could cause so much paranoia

:lol: well that's one bunny who doesn't have any cares to give. I just don't know what I'd do with myself if it ended up causing Rosie grief :S Who knew owning such a big ball of fluff could cause so much paranoia
\

Yes indeed :roll: However, you're in good company on RU :lol:

I did try, many years ago, long before I realised the danger. Absolute disaster: my little rabbit hated it, I couldn't keep up with her swerving in all directions etc. She could so have easily broken her neck. Never ever again.

Back