• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New summerhouse

WelshGirl

Young Bun
Hi all...

My buns have recently moved outside into a summerhouse when we moved as I don't think my husband would appreciate me making his children live in there ;)

I'm such a worrier as my one bun Arthur has only ever been an indoor bun. I have put lino on the floor so it is cool through the warmer weather and have a huge rug to go down in the colder weather.

I'm turning the windows upside down so they open from the top so I can safely leave them open for air/breeze in warmer weather too.

Can anyone give any tips on keeping them cool/warm throughout the different seasons? I bought a small dog kennel to fill with hay so they can snuggle in it in the winter.

I've also bought a chicken coop and extra runs which I have set up on the grass for them to come out and exercise each day (they rarely got to in our old house as it was only a yukky shady patio).

This might sound stupid but will they be ok eating grass and daisies etc?

I have two other rescue buns who are still living at my mums until their new abode arrives - I've bought them a 10ft by 6ft shed with four huge windows. They have lived outside most often w time as the previous owners kept them in a hitch but I took them and built a huge run with chicken coops and fencing inside my empty garage (carpeted for luxury).

Would appreciate any advice and ideas :)

Thanks so much xx

They seem to really like it...

Their run is ready but I'm not so sure about letting them out until they have had their booster vaccinations? They are slightly overdue...

Hi there, I'm also starting to think about ideas for the warmer weather as I've read buns do better in the extreme cold than the extreme heat (like me ;-) )

Insulating the summerhouse sounds good, as well as replacing glass or Perspex windows with mesh and maybe a mesh door option to get the breeze flowing through it.

I've read also that certain type of tiles stay colder than others so will find the right ones and put them into shaded areas of their aviary for sitting on (sorry a bit vague on thAt one) Also freeze water in bottles so they can sit against them for when it's really warm.

I'm planning to do extended runaround tunnel down to a run that's under the trees at the end of the garden and see where they think it's coolest too.

Both my shed and playhouse have a mesh door aswell as the normal door - in the summer I tend to leave them with the mesh door there at night too, I like having the other doors though because on the shed if it rains in a certain direction it can get the front of the shed a bit wet so I close that up.
I also freeze water bottles and put them in, and they have an ice pack type thing each which I wrap in a blanket and they tend to chill on them in the summer (after many binkies of course lol)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

They both sound very nice too :)
We're in the process of sorting a mesh door; will they be safe to leave throughout the day? Do you leave just the mesh doors and keep the other doors open?

Thanks for your replies - I really appreciate it x

Back