• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When should I handle and start to bond?

lenslady

Alpha Buck
Some may be aware of our unexpected addition which is our baby Conti only 8 1/2 weeks, he will be 9 weeks on Wed. Anyway we have pretty much left him to it with only doing feeding times and litter changes as he was very nervous and in my opinion had a dreadful car journey upon collecting him. Anyway He hadn't been eating and his poo's were tiny. He has since started eating and poo's are looking much better. Today when feeding him he actually came out of his hidey place and started eating the fresh hay whilst my hand was in his cage giving him his breakfast (Pellets). I did try to stroke him but he batted off again.
My question is, do I just leave him or shall I attempt at touching and handling him? Is it too soon or does he need the company?

Advice much appreciated. :D

you can certainly start gradually getting him used to you now he is the right age, and will help him develop no fears for when he is older, id wait until he is older and preferably neutered before bonding with another rabbit

you can certainly start gradually getting him used to you now he is the right age, and will help him develop no fears for when he is older, id wait until he is older and preferably neutered before bonding with another rabbit

Thank you mini lop1, I have no intention of bonding him with another Rabbit until July time when neuter, vacs ect have been done and calmed down. Ok so I have let him out and tbh i am in complete shock!:shock: What a transformation! He is one flighty, DOMINANT boy :roll: Had a go at gypsy through the bars! Running and Binkying around downstairs like a little mad man! Cats have done a complete runner! Gone! Outside in the rain seems much safer for them lol (They hate the rain). I simply can't believe his cheeky chappy character, I have some hard work on my hands. I honestly thought he was a nervous wreck but he obviously is not and very much likes his freedom. He is following me a lot and i am a bit fearful for me feet:oops: Think Im going to get rid of the flip-flops and put me thick slippers on lol x

Thank you mini lop1, I have no intention of bonding him with another Rabbit until July time when neuter, vacs ect have been done and calmed down. Ok so I have let him out and tbh i am in complete shock!:shock: What a transformation! He is one flighty, DOMINANT boy :roll: Had a go at gypsy through the bars! Running and Binkying around downstairs like a little mad man! Cats have done a complete runner! Gone! Outside in the rain seems much safer for them lol (They hate the rain). I simply can't believe his cheeky chappy character, I have some hard work on my hands. I honestly thought he was a nervous wreck but he obviously is not and very much likes his freedom. He is following me a lot and i am a bit fearful for me feet:oops: Think Im going to get rid of the flip-flops and put me thick slippers on lol x

This did make me laugh Lenslady :lol:

Many years ago I got a very very timid bunny from a Rescue Centre. He had scabs all over him from where he was being bullied by the other rabbit kept with him in his pen. The staff even apologised to me for his reticent behaviour and said they hoped he might come out of his shell.

I said I didn't mind what he was like, but he was the one to bond with one of my other rabbits.

He came home at Christmas, many years ago. He was subdued for an afternoon. Then when no one was looking, he jumped onto a dining chair, hopped onto the kitchen worktop and took a mince pie which he was proceeding to share with his lady love :shock:

He never looked back :lol:

This did make me laugh Lenslady :lol:

Many years ago I got a very very timid bunny from a Rescue Centre. He had scabs all over him from where he was being bullied by the other rabbit kept with him in his pen. The staff even apologised to me for his reticent behaviour and said they hoped he might come out of his shell.

I said I didn't mind what he was like, but he was the one to bond with one of my other rabbits.

He came home at Christmas, many years ago. He was subdued for an afternoon. Then when no one was looking, he jumped onto a dining chair, hopped onto the kitchen worktop and took a mince pie which he was proceeding to share with his lady love :shock:

He never looked back :lol:

Awe what a lovely story :love:.
I haven't given him to much freedom as yet because I really want him to become familiar with his environment such as sounds and smells. He is coming up to the bars in his cage now and he allows me to nose rub his head with one finger, he still gets a little frightened by a full hand and yet when we had him out free range yesterday he was so confident or so it seemed. He likes to watch and have a sniff whilst I put food in, change hay and litter ect. He really is a lovely lill guy but it is going to take some time to figure out who he is and what he likes ect.

The most weird thing happened with Gypsy too only last night. she has now started jumping on my lap and scratching or digging at my clothes until she can find some skin to lick :D. she gave me a good grooming last night and this has only started since getting Burberry :love:

How adorable! :love: it's wonderful when their personalities start to show isn't it :)

Sounds like you've got a few wee characters on your hands ;) :p x

How adorable! :love: it's wonderful when their personalities start to show isn't it :)

Sounds like you've got a few wee characters on your hands ;) :p x

Awe it is :love: I am a little concerned if I should let him out more, Gypsy is quite happy to stay in the playpen area and has never really enjoyed being free range as she is so docile and very lazy(very much her preference). He is out now and I will leave him out for a good few hours, however I have to hoover up and I don't think he is going to like that lol. He is also not eating his cecotropes, I found 4 in his litter this morning but his normal poops are so much bigger and lighter now. xx

Awe what a lovely story :love:.
I haven't given him to much freedom as yet because I really want him to become familiar with his environment such as sounds and smells. He is coming up to the bars in his cage now and he allows me to nose rub his head with one finger, he still gets a little frightened by a full hand and yet when we had him out free range yesterday he was so confident or so it seemed. He likes to watch and have a sniff whilst I put food in, change hay and litter ect. He really is a lovely lill guy but it is going to take some time to figure out who he is and what he likes ect.

The most weird thing happened with Gypsy too only last night. she has now started jumping on my lap and scratching or digging at my clothes until she can find some skin to lick :D. she gave me a good grooming last night and this has only started since getting Burberry :love:

Yes they are such individual characters, it cracks me up sometime the way they react to situations! I'm sure he'll soon realise you're no threat and you'll be able to stroke him (on his terms of course :lol: )

Yes they are such individual characters, it cracks me up sometime the way they react to situations! I'm sure he'll soon realise you're no threat and you'll be able to stroke him (on his terms of course :lol: )

Well Burberry disappeared whilst I hoovered I then switched hoover off to move coffee table to get underneath, he was back in sight as happy as you like, switched hoover back on and he disappeared again. He waits for it to stay off for a few seconds and then thinks he will come out and investigate and have a flying binky. Have now got 3 litter trays dotted around and 2 hidey holes for him. I have also allowed my 2 young Daughters to spend some time with him (They have been waiting patiently since we got him). They are sitting on the floor watching a movie and Burberry has jumped on my 9 year olds lap :love: It really is looking positive with him :D Gypsy however does not like him near her run and becomes infuriated and disgusted lol, thank goodness she is behind bars(Large enclosed area) but I still don't trust her attempting to pull his ears through :shock:so I am on guard in that department too. xx

Well Burberry disappeared whilst I hoovered I then switched hoover off to move coffee table to get underneath, he was back in sight as happy as you like, switched hoover back on and he disappeared again. He waits for it to stay off for a few seconds and then thinks he will come out and investigate and have a flying binky. Have now got 3 litter trays dotted around and 2 hidey holes for him. I have also allowed my 2 young Daughters to spend some time with him (They have been waiting patiently since we got him). They are sitting on the floor watching a movie and Burberry has jumped on my 9 year olds lap :love: It really is looking positive with him :D Gypsy however does not like him near her run and becomes infuriated and disgusted lol, thank goodness she is behind bars(Large enclosed area) but I still don't trust her attempting to pull his ears through :shock:so I am on guard in that department too. xx

Your young girls have been very patient waiting for him :)

One of mine heads for the hills when the vacuum cleaner comes out. Another one though sits there all through and you have to shove her out the way! She used to attack brushes and vacuum cleaners and growl. In her 13th year she's mellowed and she just sits there like the Queen whilst you clean around her :D

Your young girls have been very patient waiting for him :)

One of mine heads for the hills when the vacuum cleaner comes out. Another one though sits there all through and you have to shove her out the way! She used to attack brushes and vacuum cleaners and growl. In her 13th year she's mellowed and she just sits there like the Queen whilst you clean around her :D

wow her 13th year! What an inspiration :love: I feel so happy to have found this site, the amazing stories of Rabbits reaching these ages and how Buns have really become parts of peoples lives and their furniture lol. Its a breath of fresh air to hear the freedom they have got, lives they have and that they have not been subjected to sitting alone in a dark shaded area in a stinky old hutch, way to small and forgotten about. My buns have come to me at a strange time in my life its hard to explain but the joy they bring is purely heart warming :love: I need them as much as they need me so it is working out with such balance. The support and education from this site has been phenomenal. I am sure i will have plenty more to post about in the near future :D as I have Bo-Jangles to come home yet :shock:. Thanks for all your support and for sharing your stories ;) xx

Back