• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone seen dry skin on ears like this before? pics, please look

maggyrose

Warren Scout
Arthur has this on both ears, and bit on eyelid. They only had the spot on treatment few weeks ago when they also has their boosters. He is well in himself and his mate hasn't got any signs of this.

Shall I put sudocrem on it?

Appreciate any help on this one :D

Arthur has this on both ears, and bit on eyelid. They only had the spot on treatment few weeks ago when they also has their boosters. He is well in himself and his mate hasn't got any signs of this.

Shall I put sudocrem on it?

Appreciate any help on this one :D

I put up post very recently with what looks like the exact same condition but Gypsy only has on the one ear. I think mine is due to her scratching as she has the most horrendous claws! We are getting them clipped in 2 weeks if I don't pluck up courage and do it before then. I have been grooming the ear very carefully with a groom mitten and it really has helped and the little scabs have come off now. xx

It may have been caused by excessive scratching of her ears as a result of ear mites or an ear infection. I would get your Vet to check his ears for you. I would not put anything on the ears until you know exactly what the problem is. Sometimes doing so can make the inflammation worse. Your Vet will advise you of the best course of action once he/she has examined Arthur :)

It definitely looks like scratching due to irritation, possibly by fur mites or ear mites.

Ear mites usually have skin scales on the inner ear as well, so you could possibly look inside the ear.

There's some useful info here: http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/ears/c_rb_ear_mites

You mention it's on his eyelid as well, which is more suggestive of a general 'mite' condition. It wouldn't matter if you put cream on the ears, it may help temporarily with the itching, but a vet would need to diagnose and treat.

If Arthur had his booster recently, it will have affected his immune system, and he wouldn't cope as well with little irritations like mites as he would normally. How many spot on treatments has he had?

Last edited:
It definitely looks like scratching due to irritation, possibly by fur mites or ear mites.

Ear mites usually have skin scales on the inner ear as well, so you could possibly look inside the ear.

There's some useful info here: http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/ears/c_rb_ear_mites

You mention it's on his eyelid as well, which is more suggestive of a general 'mite' condition. It wouldn't matter if you put cream on the ears, it may help temporarily with the itching, but a vet would need to diagnose and treat.

If Arthur had his booster recently, it will have affected his immune system, and he wouldn't cope as well with little irritations like mites as he would normally. How many spot on treatments has he had?

I used just the one Xeno 450 spot on few weeks ago before they went to live outside...

I cant find out what this treats against, would it not cover ear mites? I think this must have been a very recent occurrence because the vet checked the ears.

Thanks all for the replies so far x

I used just the one Xeno 450 spot on few weeks ago before they went to live outside...

I cant find out what this treats against, would it not cover ear mites? I think this must have been a very recent occurrence because the vet checked the ears.

Thanks all for the replies so far x

Yes it would cover ear mites. However, one dose won't, as you need to reapply every two weeks for at least three applications to cover the life cycle of the mite. Make sure you do the two follow up 'spot ons' two weeks apart :thumb:

Yes it would cover ear mites. However, one dose won't, as you need to reapply every two weeks for at least three applications to cover the life cycle of the mite. Make sure you do the two follow up 'spot ons' two weeks apart :thumb:

Oh no...does this mean i have to start again with it?! I had no idea you have to do that, sure it doesnt say on the packet?!

Will have to pop to vets with him this week then, or can i be pretty safe to just get more ivermectin?

Oh no...does this mean i have to start again with it?! I had no idea you have to do that, sure it doesnt say on the packet?!

Will have to pop to vets with him this week then, or can i be pretty safe to just get more ivermectin?

I should ring your vet, tell him when exactly you did the one spot on treatment, and ask whether you should go ahead with three Xeno treatments or if he would prefer to see Arthur. Both rabbits would have to be treated, as mites can pass between them.

To be honest, I think it's more likely that your vet may like to confirm that it is mites, and look into their ears, which you won't be able to do successfully. Although I guess he did that at their health check last week?

There's info here: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Dec...lution_for_Topical_Administration/-40779.html

For the treatment of an existing infestation, repeat doses are required two weeks and four weeks after the initial application.

However, maybe you did a 'one off' treatment a while ago as a preventative?

Last edited:

I would definitely take him back to the Vets before you administer any more treatment, Ivermectin is a nasty chemical and you dont want to be using it if it is not necessary. The Vet will be able to ascertain the exact problem and prescribe the appropriate treatment. In the long run doing this may be less expensive than treating for mites again, finding out it wasn't mites in the first place and having to go to the Vet again anyway.

Will speak to my vet tomorrow and go from there, just don't like to take them as they've had a hard time with their health and going to vets stress them out.

Yeh I would have only given 1 treatment last time as it was preventative. I just read the box and it says to take the 3 when they have infestation.x

Will speak to my vet tomorrow and go from there, just don't like to take them as they've had a hard time with their health and going to vets stress them out.

Yeh I would have only given 1 treatment last time as it was preventative. I just read the box and it says to take the 3 when they have infestation.x

Yes I know what you mean about going to the vets etc, that's why I was trying to avoid it if at all possible! Sometimes you need the hands on bit though for the vet to actually *see* what's going on. I hope they can help you tomorrow, and good luck xx

Yes, it is always a good idea to get a Vet to check/re-check a problem if symptoms return or do not resolve. This is especially true with any issue relating to the ears. Good luck at the Vets today.

Back