• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a lump/raised mark on Jake

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
My OH just noticed Jake has what feels like a lump near Jakes shoulder, it moves with the skin and looks slightly red when the fur is parted. It could be a raised mark though like a scratch as it is quite long, more like a raised line but doesn't look scratched/cut and feels fairly chunky too.

He's back for a further post neuter check and his vaccine on Wednesday, or would you recommend getting an appointment sooner? Although its bank holiday..

Last edited:
My OH just noticed Jake has what feels like a lump near Jakes shoulder, it moves with the skin and looks slightly red when the fur is parted. It could be a raised mark though like a scratch as it is quite long, more like a raised line but doesn't look scratched/cut and feels fairly chunky too.

He's back for a further post neuter check and his vaccine on Wednesday, or would you recommend getting an appointment sooner? Although its bank holiday..

Has he had any vaccinations, or injections of Baytril or anything else that you can think of? Could he have got underneath something and it's caught his shoulder and it's a bit swollen?

I would see what it looks like in the morning. If he's behaving normally, and eating and pooing etc, and not obviously in pain at the moment, then I would review tomorrow. See whether it looks any worse ...

What a worry these buns are, and on Bank Holiday weekend too!:shock:

Thank you, no he hasn't had any injections or anything. He has a cardboard box he likes to go on which although doesn't feel sharp I suppose he could've got himself on, it feels the same today and he is acting fine...

Thank you, no he hasn't had any injections or anything. He has a cardboard box he likes to go on which although doesn't feel sharp I suppose he could've got himself on, it feels the same today and he is acting fine...

I would be inclined to keep a close eye on it and mention it on Wednesday when he goes to the vets. If you feel it's more inflamed sooner, then obviously deal accordingly.

With things that are not straightforward, I tend to avoid emergency vets if at all possible, as of they often don't have the expertise, but others may disagree with this :)

He may have had a shot of Baytril when he was neutered. A skin reaction to this can occur and may become more obvious when it is healing. Can you post a photo of the effected area ? It does not sound as though it is anything too much to worry about and he is obviously not bothered by it. I am sure the Vet will have a good check of it on Wednesday before administering his Vaccination.

Thank you, I can't get a clear photo as he moves and fur gets in the way. Ah I didn't think he might've had injections for his neuter! I will keep a close eye on it and make sure my OH points it out on Wednesday, I won't be able to go as I'm at work.

Thank you again both for the help xx

Thank you, I can't get a clear photo as he moves and fur gets in the way. Ah I didn't think he might've had injections for his neuter! I will keep a close eye on it and make sure my OH points it out on Wednesday, I won't be able to go as I'm at work.

Thank you again both for the help xx

Ah I wondered if it might be Baytril. Yes a mark in that position is usually associated with a needle :D The odd thing was the way you described it, as not a round sore/lump. However, the vet on Wednesday will no doubt pronounce :thumb:

Back