• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dermot-Updated 24th May

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Dermot is 10 now and he has been on treatment for osteoarthritis for over a year. During recent weeks he has deteriorated a lot despite an increase in his medication. He is not a suitable candidate for acupuncture but he is tolerating a limited amount of physio. He is still eating, but mostly hay/grass and fresh herbs. He is losing weight. If he remains as he is now for more than a couple of days then I will have to let him go

:cry:

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that but wow, 10 years old :shock:, he has done exceptionally well to reach such a good age. Anyway thinking of you both :(

I'm so sorry Jane, we had to make the decision for our Snowy, aged 10, earlier this year. It was getting to the point where we would get up in the morning and hope he'd passed in the night. But there came the time.... Snowy had come through so much Iin the six years we had him. Numerous operations...bladder stone, teeth out twice, rubbish molars and abscesses in his neck. We let him go when he lost the sparkle. It felt the right time. You will know when Dermot's is right.

Oh Jane I'm sorry. My last bun was in a similar situatuion at 11, and I had to help him to The Bridge in the end. It's heartbreaking, no matter how ripe an old age they have reached. Sending you and Dermot vibes and hugs. Xxx

Thank you. Whilst the higher dose of Tramadol is helping as far as pain control goes Dermot is now quite sedated by it. This did not occur on the lower dose, but the lower does is not giving enough analgesic cover. We are going to see if the sedation reduces after a few days on the higher dose. But if it does not then we (me and C) do not think it is fair to keep him going if all he can do is sleep and nibble at a bit of food. In our opinion that is no quality of life for a Rabbit.

I'm so very sorry to see this, Jane. :( ((((((((Huge hugs)))))))
But I understand it all too well. I've actually been worried since the surgery for Mimzy's fatty lump that I am facing that day for him sooner rather than later. Perhaps before we leave Alaska it will be time to say goodbye...I'm choking up and tears are coming just typing this. :cry:

It's unbearably heartbreaking when we realize we've done all we can do. I will pray that Dermot will rally, but if not I know you and C will take good care of him. He is such a lucky bunny to have you both as his family.
Bless you. Thinking of you, always. xxxx

I'm so sorry to read this :(

Sending lots of love to you both. Dermot is very lucky to have you taking caring of him and I know you will always do what is best for him xx

Sending Dermot a gentle nose rub this evening and hoping things look better in the next few days. Hugs to you Jane. Xx

Back