• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am meeting a rescue tomorrow morning

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Tomorow morning I will be meeting a bunny who has been in foster care for the past six months. She is an 8 month old lionhead. I was told she was in foster care for a long time because she had eye ulcers which required medication and then she was spayed. I learned the rescue used my veterinarian.
I am hoping she and I are well-suited for each other and she can become a member of my herd.
In the past year I lost three bunnies who were all about 13 years old. I currently have a 14 year old dwarf with heart and kidney problems; and a 2 year old mini-rex I acquired in August.
Many years ago, I learned the hard way that new pets should not be put around your existing pets. How long should I keep them in separate areas? Is there any rule on how far away from my other bunnies the new girl should be kept?
Some advice would be appreciated so I can ease my mind and enjoy my (hopefully) new bunny.

Oh it would be lovely if you were able to offer the Doe a home.

As far as quarantine goes I would want to keep her in a different room to your other Rabbits for 14 days. Do you have Myxo/VHD Vaccinations in your state of the US ? I am not up to speed on the US Rabbit Vaccination situation. If you do have them I would want this done ASAP if Bunny is well enough. Do you know the cause of the eye ulcers ? Pasteurella can be one cause so that would be relevant if introducing her to a household with other Rabbits. So I would try to obtain as much information about her specific condition to enable you to draw up a plan of action should you go ahead with adopting her.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Corneal_ulcers.htm

Please keep us updated !

Oh it would be lovely if you were able to offer the Doe a home.

As far as quarantine goes I would want to keep her in a different room to your other Rabbits for 14 days. Do you have Myxo/VHD Vaccinations in your state of the US ? I am not up to speed on the US Rabbit Vaccination situation. If you do have them I would want this done ASAP if Bunny is well enough. Do you know the cause of the eye ulcers ? Pasteurella can be one cause so that would be relevant if introducing her to a household with other Rabbits. So I would try to obtain as much information about her specific condition to enable you to draw up a plan of action should you go ahead with adopting her.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Corneal_ulcers.htm

Please keep us updated !

Dear Jane,

Thank you for the information on the eye ulcers. Her foster family told me she was on abx eye drops, so I will check with her vet (who is also my vet) if they did any cultures or if they suspected pasturella. She was in foster for so long because they wanted to make sure her eye condition was completely gone before having her spayed (last month) and putting her up for adoption. I suspect her foster mom was making sure she had the right owner too. She got a lot of attention from other customers when I met her at a pet supply store today and her foster father said she got a lot of inquiries at a different location last weekend too. Madelyn is a very nice girl, big for a lionhead, and quite fuzzy. She is bright eyed, mostly litter trained and is very well-groomed, so I adopted her and took her home. The rescue will ask our vet to transfer her medical information to my file.

I asked in the past, and they do not do Myxo/VHD vaccines in the my area of New York State in the US. I will check again to see if anything changed.

I am not sure what to use to brush her long fur. When I had a lionhead in the past, she had a small mane. Madelyn could be even part angora with her entire face and head fuzzy, and sweeps around her body. I know most litter matterials will not work with her fur, so I lined her box with newspaper which is what her foster family used. I don't want to use anything she may eat that could hurt her.

As you recommended, I will keep her far from other bunnies for two weeks. For now, I will go beyond washing hands and keep a change of clothing near her pen.

When I was holding her after we got home, she started to make that teeth chatter noise (not grinding) as I petted her behind her ears. Does that mean she is content?

I'll have to get some pictures once she settles into her new home.

Back