• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying two bonded females?

Jambalu

Young Bun
Hi, I adopted two bonded female rabbits not long ago, (now named Amber and Luna) and I would like to get them spayed as soon as I can. They will be two years old in August of this year and I am worried about the potential behavioral and health risks of not getting them done.

I wondered if anyone had any experience with this and could offer some advice. I would like to know if they should be taken to the vets together and have the operation on the same day? Or go together, but have their operations on separate occasions? From what I have read separating them can break their bond, which I don't want to do. I would think maybe if they are both sore and sleepy at the same time after the operation they wont bother each other as much as they might if only one was done at a time. I'm not sure, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I adopted two bonded female rabbits not long ago, (now named Amber and Luna) and I would like to get them spayed as soon as I can. They will be two years old in August of this year and I am worried about the potential behavioral and health risks of not getting them done.

I wondered if anyone had any experience with this and could offer some advice. I would like to know if they should be taken to the vets together and have the operation on the same day? Or go together, but have their operations on separate occasions? From what I have read separating them can break their bond, which I don't want to do. I would think maybe if they are both sore and sleepy at the same time after the operation they wont bother each other as much as they might if only one was done at a time. I'm not sure, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with you, get them done together. My two girls went into rescue together but it turned out Heather was pregnant so Rosie got spayed first and although they were kept together all through, Heather was another 10 weeks before she got done. I was told I could have Rosie but I left her with Heather until they were able to come home together. They are very bonded and happy. They've been with me for 8 weeks now. I noticed that they healed very quickly.

I would always have bonded girls spayed at the same time, if possible.

I adopted an unspayed trio of sisters when they were 2 years old. I had them all spayed together and kept them together for the whole time during their recovery. Pansy had a post-spay hernia, so had to have another op to correct it. All three girls went back to the vets together while Pansy had her corrective surgery.

I've also had three sisters from a quad of siblings spayed at the same time. I kept all 3 girls together for the whole time and kept their brother Pepper in an adjoining pen so he could see them. He is very good with his sisters so I put him back with them a couple of days after their spay as they are happier together (Pepper had already been castrated prior to the girls' spay).

When you have more than one recovering from an op, you just need to be a bit more vigilant in monitoring eating and output for each individual and make sure that they are all recovering well. You might find that they recover at different rates, some bunnies bounce back quicker than others. My Daisy took longer to recover and resume eating than her sisters.

I had both my girls spayed together & both were fine. I think they are comfort for each other, offer warmth & sense of security :)

Tracy;6603354[B said:
]I would always have bonded girls spayed at the same time, if possible.[/B]

I adopted an unspayed trio of sisters when they were 2 years old. I had them all spayed together and kept them together for the whole time during their recovery. Pansy had a post-spay hernia, so had to have another op to correct it. All three girls went back to the vets together while Pansy had her corrective surgery.

I've also had three sisters from a quad of siblings spayed at the same time. I kept all 3 girls together for the whole time and kept their brother Pepper in an adjoining pen so he could see them. He is very good with his sisters so I put him back with them a couple of days after their spay as they are happier together (Pepper had already been castrated prior to the girls' spay).

When you have more than one recovering from an op, you just need to be a bit more vigilant in monitoring eating and output for each individual and make sure that they are all recovering well. You might find that they recover at different rates, some bunnies bounce back quicker than others. My Daisy took longer to recover and resume eating than her sisters.

I agree with Tracy ^^

Be vigilant during their recovery time, but at least you've got it over with at the same time, and they can remain together

Thank you for all your advice.

Could anybody recommend a pet carrier that would comfortably fit two medium sized rabbits? The one I have at the minute is quite small.

Back