• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Wildie I tried to save you :(

Rupert & Tia

Mama Doe
I rescued a baby wildie last night.

We were on the way to shopping and seen a crow dragging a baby wildie across the road, but the baby was trying to hop away, hubby was driving so I beeped the horn trying to get the crow to leave bunny alone (who was putting up such a good fight, it was fine apart from the crow attack). We had cars behind us so hubby couldn't stop but by this point I was screaming hysterically that I cant just leave it, so hubby (hes so good) turned round and when we got there, the crow had dragged baby all the way over and he was giving up :( hubby stopped and I jumped out and ran to it, at which point the crow nipped REALLY hard but I chased the crow and the bunny was on his side, but was trying to get up, so I scooped him up in my jumper, but I seen he'd broke his leg but I couldn't leave him there, so we raced to vet.

On the way, he sat up and was moving apart from one leg (which was clearly badly broken) I think a car may have knocked it when the crow was dragging, he certainly didn't have a broken leg when we first seen it... I could see we were losing him in the car tho, his eye started to 'glaze over' but he was breathing, but slowly I was rubbing him to stimulate him to breath.

We got to vet and they said the kindest thing was probably going to be to pts because of his leg. I feel so bad :( but at least he didn't get pecked to death :(

He was tiny. his ear was ripped from the crow attack :(

RIP Wildie xx

I rescued a baby wildie last night.

We were on the way to shopping and seen a crow dragging a baby wildie across the road, but the baby was trying to hop away, hubby was driving so I beeped the horn trying to get the crow to leave bunny alone (who was putting up such a good fight, it was fine apart from the crow attack). We had cars behind us so hubby couldn't stop but by this point I was screaming hysterically that I cant just leave it, so hubby (hes so good) turned round and when we got there, the crow had dragged baby all the way over and he was giving up :( hubby stopped and I jumped out and ran to it, at which point the crow nipped REALLY hard but I chased the crow and the bunny was on his side, but was trying to get up, so I scooped him up in my jumper, but I seen he'd broke his leg but I couldn't leave him there, so we raced to vet.

On the way, he sat up and was moving apart from one leg (which was clearly badly broken) I think a car may have knocked it when the crow was dragging, he certainly didn't have a broken leg when we first seen it... I could see we were losing him in the car tho, his eye started to 'glaze over' but he was breathing, but slowly I was rubbing him to stimulate him to breath.

We got to vet and they said the kindest thing was probably going to be to pts because of his leg. I feel so bad :( but at least he didn't get pecked to death :(

He was tiny. his ear was ripped from the crow attack :(

RIP Wildie xx

Oh goodness what a heartbreaking story :cry: You did all you could. Run free little one :love:

It was horrifying it really was.

Its always sad when you see animals on the road isn't it. If the bunny had of been dead, I'd feel sad but think its nature at least the crow has dinner... but it wasn't it was fine it was awful :( it was fighting so hard to get away. I think he (dunno why we keep saying he) knew I was trying to help him tho if that makes sense, he just knew.

He was so small, I've never seen a bunny that small :(

It was horrifying it really was.

Its always sad when you see animals on the road isn't it. If the bunny had of been dead, I'd feel sad but think its nature at least the crow has dinner... but it wasn't it was fine it was awful :( it was fighting so hard to get away. I think he (dunno why we keep saying he) knew I was trying to help him tho if that makes sense, he just knew.

He was so small, I've never seen a bunny that small :(

It's such a painful memory for you to have. He seems like he was crying for help. He's in peace now, and you gave him that ...

It's such a painful memory for you to have. He seems like he was crying for help. He's in peace now, and you gave him that ...

That's what the vet nurse said, I was surprised but he pushed his head against my hand, I was surprised. That's why I think he knew.

Bless him, you did your best and that's all you can do. You saved him from a horrible death. RIP little bunny x

If it didn't run away from the crow in the first place, it wouldn't've had much chance. The one we found hiding in the bushes had no survival instinct either :( Well done for stopping and helping :)

If it didn't run away from the crow in the first place, it wouldn't've had much chance. The one we found hiding in the bushes had no survival instinct either :( Well done for stopping and helping :)

I'm not entirely convinced the crow didn't take it from a (not very well hidden) nest tbh, it was that small.. I remember on springwatch live that a magpie emptied a not very well hideen nest :(

I couldn't leave it, nature or not, I just couldn't, I'd never live with myself x

Back