• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Athena please?-UD post 53: all clear?! Here's hoping!

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Athena went to the vets this morning to have the lump on her spay line investigated. The baytril had a small effect on it, but barely noticeable so she went in this morning to have a sample taken.

Good news is that it is an access and nothing any more serious.

But she is still there to have it drained and will be sent home with metacam and more baytril. She'll be receiving gas and air but Charlotte, the vet, kept saying how good a rabbit she is.

Thankfully I am feeling better about myself as a rabbit custodian but of course, still worried about my little munchkin.

Last edited:
Athena's home! She is eating like a trooper and has been toileting. I am definitely in her bad books though.

Good news is one of the abscesses has been drained. I have to keep the wound clean which will be easier said than done as she is a speedy, wiggly girl. She also has her baytril and metacam which she'll get once a day starting tonight.

The bad news is she has another, older abcess which they can't deal with right now. She may have to have surgery to get rid of it and that will be very expensive. :( After my previous 3 girls recovered from spay so flawlessly I am disappointed that she is not doing as well as they did. I keep thinking it is because she was spayed using the voucher at companion care vets rather than by the vet we know and trust.

But she is home and doing OK and that is the main thing right now.

Athena's home! She is eating like a trooper and has been toileting. I am definitely in her bad books though.

Good news is one of the abscesses has been drained. I have to keep the wound clean which will be easier said than done as she is a speedy, wiggly girl. She also has her baytril and metacam which she'll get once a day starting tonight.

The bad news is she has another, older abcess which they can't deal with right now. She may have to have surgery to get rid of it and that will be very expensive. :( After my previous 3 girls recovered from spay so flawlessly I am disappointed that she is not doing as well as they did. I keep thinking it is because she was spayed using the voucher at companion care vets rather than by the vet we know and trust.

I must say that it is very unusual for a spay to result in an abscess formation. Where abouts is the 'older' abscess and did the Vet give any indication of the cause ?

I hope that Athena will make a good recovery.

I must say that it is very unusual for a spay to result in an abscess formation. Where abouts is the 'older' abscess and did the Vet give any indication of the cause ?

I hope that Athena will make a good recovery.

Both are along the spay line, pretty much right next to one another, which made them feel like one huge lump. The vet she was spayed at said she was recovering fine. The vet she is seeing now, Charlotte, believes it was the spay that triggered it, as maybe a reaction to the stitches.

Thank you. :)

Firstly, it's nothing at all to do with the fact that you used Companion Care Vets. Plenty of people use them quite successfully :D

It's not too unusual for a spay wound to develop an abscess. As your vet suggests, it's probably a reaction to the stitches. Vets have different methods of securing the wound. It's probably down to luck that this happened ....

I'm glad she's being sorted out now and sending vibes for more healing xx

Both are along the spay line, pretty much right next to one another, which made them feel like one huge lump. The vet she was spayed at said she was recovering fine. The vet she is seeing now, Charlotte, believes it was the spay that triggered it, as maybe a reaction to the stitches.

Thank you. :)

Sounds as though you are with a good Vet now :) How unlucky for Athena to develop an abscesses, it really is very unusual. It may be worth ascertaining what suture material was used. If Athena happened to be sensitive to the specific type of material then it would be good to know about it in case she ever needs sutures again in the future.

Thanks for your words. Athena seems to be doing well - she is very much enjoying the dose of metacam and banana'd baytril every evening - but I am nervous about the idea of her needing more surgery. I just feel like I could have done something better by her/avoided this. Not the spay, obviously, as that is necessary for all future health, but the abscesses. I was leery about using CCV for the spay because they aren't my local and trusted vets, but I asked them all the questions about their care of rabbits under anaesthesia. It seemed ok. It probably was and is just one of those things.

Gah, at least it is all under hand now and paws crossed that the antibiotics will prevent the need for surgery at all.

And, on the bright side, the new hutch/run for adopting the boybunny is arriving this morning. :)

Pleased to hear Athena is doing well and hopefully she won't need further surgery. Fingers crossed for that.

Back