• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hollie's nail is stuck out at a strange angle

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi guys

Whilst I was smooshing Hollie this morning I noticed that on her right paw her outer nail was sticking out at a strange angle to the rest (like at a right angle), she let me look at it and it doesn't seem to be broken .... just bent!

Obviously it looks longer than the other nails because there is no fur covering it. I'm worried she's going to catch it on something and hurt herself.

I don't know what to do .... is there anything the vet could do??

Thanks

Last edited:
Is it the nail, or is it possible the toe is dislocated? It's worth taking her to the vet to check. Keep the nail trimmmed as much as you can (without drawing blood) to avoid catching it on anything. My old buns have a few of these funny nails and it doesn't bother them, but you do have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the reply ......Oooh ouch, I'll check if it's her toe ...... it doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, she's bombing around as normal! lol

I've booked her in to see the vet tomorrow morning but they've said if I'm worried when I get home I can ring them and get her seen tonight ..... think I'd rather do that! x

I've booked her in to see the vet tomorrow morning but they've said if I'm worried when I get home I can ring them and get her seen tonight ..... think I'd rather do that! x

Hopefully it's just a half pulled off nail. You may even find that it has completely fallen off once you get home.

Thanks Jane. I took her to the vets tonight and the vet said the nail bed and joint was swollen, she said she couldn't rule out a break but it could be a sprain. She's given Hollie an injection of metacam and has sent us home with some to give orally. She agreed that Hollie seems to be using her paw normally. She said first thing is to reduce any pain & swelling (with the Metacam) and we have another appointment on Tuesday and will take it from there. She did say that even if it was a break there isnt much they can do and it will probably heal by itself ..... does that sound right??

Thankfully Hollie seems fine in herself (hopping about, eating, pooping etc)

Something spooked them both at suppertime last night and they both bolted, I'm wondering if she caught it then.

Xx

Recently I had a terrifying (for me) experience with my Heather. I'd only had had her 10 days, I'd been waiting 8 weeks for her to come home. She'd been used for breeding and had been seized by the rspca along with 28 other buns and piggies, she'd had 6 kits born at the rescue. When she'd been spayed I was able to bring her home with Rosie. Anyway I'd been letting them out every day and getting them used to me and to actually being outside, but one evening some noisy seagulls kept dive bombing our garden. My girls were absolutely terrified. Rosie rushed into the hutch but Heather hid in her plastic tunnel. When she came out there was blood everywhere. I panicked and immediately thought she'd opened her spay. I rang OOH vet and she said to come in. It wasn't her spay though, she'd pulled a claw out completely and scraped her other claws on the right back foot. I was absolutely shocked because of all the blood. the vet rinsed the foot, applied pressure and eventually shaved the fur and applied a styptic pen and gave her a painkiller. Vet said luckily she hadn't lost her toe. I was beside myself at the time and thought Heather would hate me. But next morning she was sitting waiting for her breakfast. She's very forgiving.. Bless her!

Awwww I'm glad Heather is ok. Sometimes being a bunny owner is just so worrying isn't it!

Hollie seems to be fine in herself and is bombing round and putting weight on her paw as usual ..... but it's still sticking out at a funny angle. She's taking her Metacam and we're back at the vets on Tuesday, so will see what they say then.

Back