• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit losing fur

RebeccaJC

Warren Scout
My rabbit who was poorly with a tumor and had her eye removed. Has seemingly been doing really well, she's regained a bit of weight she has lost and been okay in herself. The vet is really pleased with her progress. However around the time we noticed her ill health I noticed she lost a tiny bit of fur but I wasn't worried until the other day I noticed a sore bald patch on her ear and now she has bald patches over her back. Why could she be losing fur? Is the pain of the eye recovered so she's eating.. but there's still an underlying health issue causing her to lose her fur? I am extremely worried. They said removing the eye and her gaining weight seemed a good sign nothing else was going on (they haven't tested her for anything else) and she's still on Pancur and has been almost 4 weeks but why is she losing her fur, i know she's gaining weight and its a good sign ... but what if she's gaining weight cause her appetite has increased due to pain relief from the eye being removed but the reason she was poorly is still there and underlying? I am extremely worried. I am taking her to the vet but I am worried there going to dismiss it and something is still ongoing for my poor bunny. Any ideas?

I agree, possible fur mites. My bunny had them when he'd been poorly. Apparently they have the mites on them all the time but they attack when bunny's immune systems are low. If it is mites vet mite give xeno45 to be applied in 3 doses or 3 injections at fortnightly period.

My rabbit who was poorly with a tumor and had her eye removed. Has seemingly been doing really well, she's regained a bit of weight she has lost and been okay in herself. The vet is really pleased with her progress. However around the time we noticed her ill health I noticed she lost a tiny bit of fur but I wasn't worried until the other day I noticed a sore bald patch on her ear and now she has bald patches over her back. Why could she be losing fur? Is the pain of the eye recovered so she's eating.. but there's still an underlying health issue causing her to lose her fur? I am extremely worried. They said removing the eye and her gaining weight seemed a good sign nothing else was going on (they haven't tested her for anything else) and she's still on Pancur and has been almost 4 weeks but why is she losing her fur, i know she's gaining weight and its a good sign ... but what if she's gaining weight cause her appetite has increased due to pain relief from the eye being removed but the reason she was poorly is still there and underlying? I am extremely worried. I am taking her to the vet but I am worried there going to dismiss it and something is still ongoing for my poor bunny. Any ideas?

Your bunny sounds like she has been through a lot recently, and for that reason it's likely that her immune system has taken a bit of a battering. When that happens, mites which normally the rabbit would be able to keep in check, tend to proliferate. There's an article here about them -

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Your vet will easily be able to identify if it's that, and treat accordingly. The treatment is usually an injection of Ivermectin once every two weeks for three doses, to kill the life cycle of the mite. Or your vet may use a spot on treatment.

Let us know how you get on at the vets :wave:

(Cross posted with Bunny Magoo :D )

Thanks so much for the replies everyone and sorry for late reply. They tested her fur and skin under a microscope and low and behold very severe infestation of mites. They said it'll have always been there too like you said but is triggered by stress and low immune and with her health issues it seems to be what happened. She's had a huge outbreak so I am glad I took her as it must be irritating her! Both my rabbits are in for weekly drops now to get rid of the mites as they live together and they are contagious apparently. Thanks for the support just glad its treatable and my baby is still on the mend! Had a bit of a worry with my other baby though (her Mum) she's at a low weight 17 something don't know if its KG or pound they measure in... but vet says she'll put her on panacur but not worried at all. She said when Phoebe was underweight (not even near her Mum's weight) she was skin and bones with visible health issues but she says Mindy her mum looks as fit as a fiddle and has no bones on her so seems shes just a small mini lop!

Oh also my baby Phoebe who had the tumor is still gaining weight.. becoming nice and healthy again. She's gained so so much since the operation. The vet confided in me that if I hadn't of made the decision to operate when I did, she'd have died within a week so I am so so glad I did :)

You've done brilliantly well with her! I'm so glad the vet has sorted out the mites. It's very common, as you know, and what I thought it would be xx

Oh also my baby Phoebe who had the tumor is still gaining weight.. becoming nice and healthy again. She's gained so so much since the operation. The vet confided in me that if I hadn't of made the decision to operate when I did, she'd have died within a week so I am so so glad I did :)

I am so pleased to hear how well Phoebe is doing now :) Hopefully the mite treatment will get rid of the unwanted 'lodgers' !

Thanks guys! She seems to be losing more and more fur despite starting treatment, hopefully it's a case of it gets worse before it gets better!Xx

Thanks guys! She seems to be losing more and more fur despite starting treatment, hopefully it's a case of it gets worse before it gets better!Xx

All the dead fur has to fall out, so it's not unusual. I hope that she will soon be back to top glossy fur form xx

Back