• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welfare Promotion Question? Related to Supporting Rabbit Welfare

Shrinkie

Mama Doe
Sorry I didn't want to clog up the thread for supporting rabbit welfare http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?436079-What-could-you-do-this-year-to-promote-help-rabbit-welfare so I thought I'd post anew.

I am very interested in doing something in my area but I just can't for the life of me find out how to get my feet on the first rung of the ladder! I live in Fife and I've been put on the waiting list for volunteering with ScottishSPCA and anything I search for in terms of rescues are all out of business and I can't currently afford to go to the places in Edinburgh/Dundee because it's not really central.

I had looked at stalls etc but I've never done anything like this before nor really seen any here so I don't know what to do or expect? Or if there are other things aside from stalls? I'm not a good media person so online activist prolly won't get me far.

But I am half motivated by the fact that when I was searching for a rabbit earlier this year pretty much every rabbit I come across that wasn't a rescue was at best innoculated but not spayed/neutered. The only reason I can think is that P@H I believe offer free innoculations but only a discount to spaying (not suggesting they SHOULD pay for it, I know how that sounds) so a lot of people don't bother and some of these rabbits I see now are 4/5 years old, females included.

But asically I am asking for a very basic dummy/beginner guide on how to start in the local area

Hi there. What a lovely thing to want to do :) I have read some folks order a bulk of the Rwaf leaflets and drop them through doors and local businesses (pet shops) etc.

Good luck x

Thanks guys, those are some great ideas, I might start with those and see how I get on. One day I'll be dragging my soapbox out onto the streets and yelling out animal welfar :lol:

^ whatever welfar is **welfare

Hi, not yet and I'm nosing through their website just now. To be honest, I've always been of "animal" welfare and interests, I've never really looked into a specific animal before and because I'm used to exotics (reptiles) where it can be fairly limited, all of these names are all new to me. Whenever I googled about rabbit welfare it was always Scotland specific so I didn't see these pop up - I've e-mailed RRR and about to get in touch with RWAF

Do I need anything in specific or have rules to having a stall to raise money for a charity?

I think you'd be best helping with people that are already set up. You could also try Fairly beloved, they are a rescue based in Scotland that work with volunteer fosterers and they do open days and the likes quite often.

https://www.facebook.com/FairlyBelovedRabbitCare?fref=ts

They are one of the rescues that Pledge a Pound supports :) You can also feel free to share PaP posts and auctions on FB, that promotes us and therefore gets more funds in for the rescues that we support ;) Sneaky wee plug for myself there!

Hi, not yet and I'm nosing through their website just now. To be honest, I've always been of "animal" welfare and interests, I've never really looked into a specific animal before and because I'm used to exotics (reptiles) where it can be fairly limited, all of these names are all new to me. Whenever I googled about rabbit welfare it was always Scotland specific so I didn't see these pop up - I've e-mailed RRR and about to get in touch with RWAF

Do I need anything in specific or have rules to having a stall to raise money for a charity?

If you contact Ros through the RWAF website she will probably be able to give you some advice on how to hold an 'awareness day' based on those held previously by other people. :)

:lol: Kermit i shall take a look and try to find on fb! Are they still running Fairly? Their site looked up to date but i emailed them a few months back, ill go back to see their website and see.

Ive pretty much filled in application for RWAF and been in touch with Ros and also with RRR, we will hopefully meet up soon to chat.

Its just i cant believe how little info there is around here. I know a local pet store tried to tell me a 4ft hutch is all i need with just "a wee run around" everyday

Back