• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

normal?

squalk7700

New Kit
Ok ive had my pair of lionheads now for over a year. They are free range with a shed to go into if needs be. But i have noticed recently they go DAYS without eating ...this has gone on for months now. They get pelletts, unlimted hay, forage, green veg - But for the past 6 months or so i will feed them daily and everything is still there the next day!!! this will go on for abbout 4 days then they will eat it - all vet checks passed. Is this normal for rabbits because i always had them down as trickle feeders. There pooing n peeing is normal

they're probably just eating when you're not looking! if they are on grass then they will be nibbling that all day and might leave the pellets as a result, which isn't a problem. I would take them for dental check anyway to be on the safe side :) welcome to the forum!

hi there thanks. No the garden is all flagged im afraid no grass but i do pick fresh grass daily along with there forage. But the food ...well it just dosnt move. I know they will spend 3 days or more without going in the shed preferring to sleep under the swing chair in all weathers. The vet check was passed and there teeth are fine which was the first thing that entered my mind :roll: Are mine just strange bunnies lol

Hi - I have to say I've never heard of that (though I'm new to the bunny thing, I'm far from the being of all knowledge) I had them pegged as fairly consistent eaters to keep their teeth trimmed. However, if they are free roaming and the vet says they are fine - it's maybe worth keeping an eye on their weights for a while - taking it every few days or so over a span of time and also to try to monitor them/inspect all the areas they have access to. All I can think of is some rabbits like to binky right over the food bowl to the nearest skirting board (or anything else they aren't supposed to be nibbling!)

Even failing that, was it something apparant/brought up at the vets? Most vets allow an after-service consultation or a free advice line - maybe you can give them a call if they aren't aware and check over?

Last edited:
Hi - I have to say I've never heard of that (though I'm new to the bunny thing, I'm far from the being of all knowledge) I had them pegged as fairly consistent eaters to keep their teeth trimmed. However, if they are free roaming and the vet says they are fine - it's maybe worth keeping an eye on their weights for a while - taking it every few days or so over a span of time and also to try to monitor them/inspect all the areas they have access to. All I can think of is some rabbits like to binky right over the food bowl to the nearest skirting board (or anything else they aren't supposed to be nibbling!)

Even failing that, was it something apparant/brought up at the vets? Most vets allow an after-service consultation or a free advice line - maybe you can give them a call if they aren't aware and check over?

Hiya yes it was brough up at the vets when they went for there vaccination booster...it is very bizzare. I am throwing more food away than they are eating - even carrot has been getting ignored. An idea my friend came up with we have a lot of cats in our garden though they never bother the bunnies and the bunnies are not bothered by them...is it possible the scent of the cats if they have been in shed are putting them off there food?

I genuinely don't think it's possible for your rabbits to not eat for 4 days and be ok, and for it to be a recurrent thing.

They wouldn't be pooing if they are not eating for that length of time, I would definitely worry if a rabbit doesn't eat for a few hours but I reckon yours must be getting something. Have you tried weighing the food before or after?

Back