• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A selfish question

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I know it sounds a bit sad but one of the main reasons I got my current rabbit is because I am very lonely, I have no friends and wanted a companion. Bellatrix has been perfect and we have definitely bonded. I have come to the time when I need to start to consider getting her a friend. It will still be a while until she is spayed but I want to be prepared! My question is, how is my relationship with Bellatrix likely to change when she gets a friend? Will she not want anything to do with me or will the second rabbit simply be someone to snuggle up with when I can't be there? Please help me, I want what's best for her but I don't want to loose my friend!!

It doesn't sound selfish nor sad. Rabbits make fantastic companions and we all get animals for a reason. I get a lot of companionship from Rosie and D-beast for that reason - they stay.

I can't say because I've not yet bonded Rosie but I'd be amazed if she suddenly decided to not want to go near you. In the same way you can have human and animal companions I would imagine (as with most mammals) she would be similar. I would imagine that she will be happy in the company of the rabbit she bonds with but both will still utterly love receiving attention from you - I don't think you'll lose a friend but rather gain another who is just as devoted to you as Bellatrix :)

she is likely to become a little less attached to you simply because nothing is better than bunny company, but she will still love you :love: like you say a bunny friend will be someone for her to cuddle with when you're not around, plus an extra bunny to cuddle you!!

I don't think I could say how your relationship may change, I think it depends on each individual rabbit. She may be more interested in her rabbit companion as they spend more time together grooming, feeding and sleeping but I don't see why she would totally change her relationship with you, and she may encourage her companion to do the same and they may both enjoy bonding with you. Beano was only 'cuddly' and enjoyed spending time with me having strokes until she reached maturity and became an absolute madam! Spaying calmed her down a lot but she's still never been much of a person rabbit but her personality didn't change once she was bonded with Gordon, Gordon also prefers doing his own thing but I still feel a strong connection with them both and they are two of my very best friends still.

I know it sounds a bit sad but one of the main reasons I got my current rabbit is because I am very lonely, I have no friends and wanted a companion. Bellatrix has been perfect and we have definitely bonded. I have come to the time when I need to start to consider getting her a friend. It will still be a while until she is spayed but I want to be prepared! My question is, how is my relationship with Bellatrix likely to change when she gets a friend? Will she not want anything to do with me or will the second rabbit simply be someone to snuggle up with when I can't be there? Please help me, I want what's best for her but I don't want to loose my friend!!

that's pretty normal for RU, actually! I've had my buns for years, but I got them so I'd have something that was 'mine', somebun to cuddle (I know, I know. but two out of four are cuddlebuns) and somebun to be there when I got home.

mine have always been in pairs. it is different from having a single bun but at least you know you're giving Bellatrix somebun who can speak her own language. and if you have to be busy elsewhere, she has that companion so she's not pining for you.

you might notice the buns bonding more with each other than with you, but it will be fine in the long run. you develop a relationship with each bun, and with the pair.

Hi,

I don't think that is sad at all. I have a rabbit and 2 cats and they are all lovely companions. Animals provide such joy I think.

I can't really say for sure as I only have 1 rabbit too but I do think it would be nice for her to have a friend to snuggle when you aren't there. You would also have another bun to cuddle up to :love:

It's not sad - Animals make perfect companions - they won't hurt you and provide you with tons of love! It makes perfect sense! Much better than people! :lol:

I have never found my rabbits relationship with me change due to introducing a friend. It's lovely to see two rabbits grooming each other.

Great thanks for all your help. You've helped me feel better about it and I know I will feel better about leaving her now, especially at night. I just need to work out the time scale, I'm guessing it will be best to wait until she's spayed.

I worried about this too when I was advised to get my 1st rabbit a friend (20 yrs ago:). On balance my buns spend less time with me when they have a bunny friend but their double antics & loving are so much fun to watch . In my experience if you already have a bond with your bunny another bunny won't break that. My rabbits absolutely love lying next to each other & being stroked at the same time.
Although when Ralph:love: was widowed a second time it was just me & him for a year or so & he did become even more lovably people orientated. For me it's a huge relief that my bunny is never lonely, never more so than if I have to go away overnight. You clearly love each other very much, I'd be very surprised if that changed but if there's one thing you can't predict its rabbits? :lol:

Hi, I know this is a couple months old, but I wanted to let you know about my experience. I have two minilops, but only had one to start with. We didn't exactly hit it off. Oscar is free range and would spend a lot of time outside. Ever since I got a new bunny, Fluffy (the bonding only took about 4 days) Oscar has become much more friendly towards me and likes being petted now, and follows me around and hangs out inside more, which he didn't before. (they have a catdoor and my section is safe and no predators here in New Zealand) So I just wanted to say it can even work the opposite way when there is a new member in the family. :-D

Hi, I know this is a couple months old, but I wanted to let you know about my experience. I have two minilops, but only had one to start with. We didn't exactly hit it off. Oscar is free range and would spend a lot of time outside. Ever since I got a new bunny, Fluffy (the bonding only took about 4 days) Oscar has become much more friendly towards me and likes being petted now, and follows me around and hangs out inside more, which he didn't before. (they have a catdoor and my section is safe and no predators here in New Zealand) So I just wanted to say it can even work the opposite way when there is a new member in the family. :-D

That's a very good point.Sometimes a shy rabbit will learn from a new friend to be more comfortable with contact and generally more friendly so it can indeed work both ways.

One of my bunnies used to be so so affectionate when she was on her own and wanted constant attention & I think it's cause she was lonely. Then when we paired her up with a boy she was very happy with him but still loved a cuddle and would still love us but she wasn't as needy.

That's quite common I think but when you realise how happy they are with their new friend and a whole different happy and content side to them emerging it makes it all worth while.I spend alot of time just watching my bonded pairs play and snuggle.Its brilliant:thumb::D

Back