• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC-*JJ Goes More Insane Trying to Comprehend the Incomprehensible*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
EC has to be the most infuriating Rabbit Disease to try to understand. I have been reading loads of academic papers about it, the most recent ones dated 2014. But even amongst the Professionals there is no firm agreement about the enigma that is EC.

Some say blood testing is not going to give a definitive diagnosis, others say blood testing is 96% accurate (relatively large study of over 700 Rabbits in Germany last year)

Even post mortem testing (tissue samples etc) can not always give a certain diagnosis as some lesions may be found, on the brain for example, but they can only be described as 'consistent with EC infection' .

Some say that older Rabbits are more likely to test positive for EC

Others say EC infection is unrelated to age of Rabbit

Some say Fenbendazole can prevent EC infection

Some say Fenbendazole cannot prevent EC infection

A paper written by Molly Varga last year and submitted to The Veterinary Record ends by stating that there remains many questions left unanswered about EC. In particular whether the regular use of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) are effective. It is not yet established that it is.

Then having completely addled what little brain matter I have I realise that if more is to be learned and understood about EC then by definition that is going to involve more vivisection/animal testing.............................

:cry:

It's one of those areas that doesn't seem to have moved on at all. I remember driving myself insane reading about it years ago.

What I know about EC after we suspect Sweep had it;

He had a blood test - tested negative but it was clear he had no inner ear infection from the Xrays. He had a 90degree head tilt (and still does). I strongly believe he had E.C, however the blood tests would suggest otherwise.

Panacur didn't really seem to help him, to be honest. I believe his (very slow) recovery was just time, he had to re-learn to do everything again with his head at an angle. First drinking, then eating, then walking, hopping, jumping etc. Even when he came off the Panacur (about 3 months later) he was still improving. Whether he wouldn't have improved at all without the Panacur I can't say, but I do know that it didn't magically cure him in a couple of weeks.

I hate EC, but I am much better equipped to fight it I ever need to again. Sweep has taught me so much, he's an incredible little bunny :love:

And a bit of a tangent, but here's the little man these days, 8 months after he fell ill.
IMG_2941small_zpsrmxuq2zy.jpg

We conduct tests on humans to make the rest better; I imagine it's a minefield with consent (like children's trials) but it must be possible to do it 'right' :) We managed a trial about dementia after stroke without any real consent issues (it gets complicated) and animals have tighter regulation in (human medicine) trials than people, but it could be done if enough people were on-board. Sadly, not everyone even gets basic welfare messages so at this stage it would be unlikely.

My vet, Iain Cope, is at present applying for funding for a major study of EC (symptoms, transmission etc) as his fellowship thing that vets do as the equivalent of a PhD but whilst practicing - an RCVS Fellowship thesis - . He is being backed by FHB I understand and is just awaiting the grant by whoever gives out that sort of grant (sorry to sound vague).

he is already an exotics referral vet so i was surprised that there is any more level of research that he is meant to do but apparently there is -

if he gets the grant for the study he has outlined he will be using some of my lot as part of his study group . .

Last edited:
Twigs, if he does that, and he's looking for more subjects, you're welcome to offer mine/me- We've seen him with several bunnies over the last couple of years so he will have my details. If we can do anything for the future treatment of bunnies with EC that would be awesome. No idea what his criteria would be, but the offer is there :)

I have tried to look at ec myself and it is so confusing!most confusing is the eye problems it causes and how it can remain in the eye and not get anywhere else. It seems a lot of vets only know a little about ec and no one is completely
Clear on the disease at all!!

Twigs, if he does that, and he's looking for more subjects, you're welcome to offer mine/me- We've seen him with several bunnies over the last couple of years so he will have my details. If we can do anything for the future treatment of bunnies with EC that would be awesome. No idea what his criteria would be, but the offer is there :)

will tell him when I see him next - was going to ask how the grant application was going . . . not sure how long between application and knowing but could be a few months. Think he had to apply around Easter.

Although he's usually tested negative for E.C., I'm pretty certain this was why Mimzy came down with head tilt. He is now three years from onset (in early June) and still going strong, but I am not sure if his hind leg weakness is more from his spondylosis or some involvement with the pathogen. :(
There is even less interest/research here into e. Cuniculi, I'm guessing most vets just 'assume' bunnies have it but since they are not high profile family pets like cats or dogs, they don't merit any study or significant medical intervention when they contract the syndromes associated with it. :(
I still wonder if there isn't more inter-species transmission than we are being led to believe. I get conflicting reports depending on who I talk to about whether other pets or even humans can be susceptible to E.C. It wasn't long after Mimzy fell ill that I started having troubles with vertigo. My family all believe I "caught" something from Mimzy that caused this and ironically, every year about this time my BPPV gets worse. Plus I had a severe kidney related illness in March last year. Since E.C. can affect both the balance centers and the excretory system, it does make one wonder.

Back