• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating but still pooping?

Jess2107

Warren Scout
Been in to feed my 2 bunnies this morning and the female wouldn't eat her pellets. She ate a strand of hay and abit of dried herbs but then went and laid down. Totally out of character for her. She was still pooping though. Iv given her some zitac syrup and pain relief (similar to metacam) is there anything else I can do other than take her to a vet?

Best would be to take her to a good vet for a check they will be able to check for issues such as blockages and administer meds like metaclop

I'm not too sure on what else but if concerned it's all out-of character then I second weeble. Sometimes a vet trip is just the way to go to know for sure.

You have given some relief for pain which poss going to be a big part just now at most alll I could say is monitor her for next few hours and see if there is any improvement as it's been just one morning so she's maybe just had an off moment.

I'm in no way the best for advice and i know you are looking for an alternative to vets but sometimes I don't think it's worth supplementing veterinary aid, esp if you are worried

Yes I would say take her to the vets too. I've found that Metacam normally works in about 30 mins -1 hour and if she isn't back to normal now you need to find out what's wrong.

Been in to feed my 2 bunnies this morning and the female wouldn't eat her pellets. She ate a strand of hay and abit of dried herbs but then went and laid down. Totally out of character for her. She was still pooping though. Iv given her some zitac syrup and pain relief (similar to metacam) is there anything else I can do other than take her to a vet?

If you can't tempt her with some rose leaves or freshly picked grass or something else then I would say the vet. It's a small step to a rabbit stopping pooing and you have trouble on your hands.

Good luck x

Thanks everyone.
She's back to her normal self again now so not sure what it was..
I'm wondering if her cardboard tunnel had anything to do with it? Noticed she's chewed it to death over the past 2 days. Could this cause a digestive upset?

Thanks everyone.
I'm wondering if her cardboard tunnel had anything to do with it? Noticed she's chewed it to death over the past 2 days. Could this cause a digestive upset?

Yes it could in theory, although lots of bunnies chew lots of cardboard without ill effects.

I think a good supply of hay (and a bunny who will eat it!) is always good for 'pushing things through' as it were :D

Thanks everyone.

If she has chewed off and eaten a lot of cardboard then personally I'd remove the tunnel now given that she has shown a transient sign of possible abdominal discomfort.

I hope she remains well now :)

They always have unlimited timothy hay anyway.
Iv taken the tunnel away and I'm not buying anything else cardboardy.. She's been eating it and not shredding it so I don't wat to risk it again

They always have unlimited timothy hay anyway.
Iv taken the tunnel away and I'm not buying anything else cardboardy.. She's been eating it and not shredding it so I don't wat to risk it again

Yes if she's eating it it's best to remove it. I agree, it's not a risk to take. Hope all is well x

Good advice to remove cardboard she is eating. At best it may be slowing her digestion and causing her to have pain and gas.

My only other problem now is that they have a wooden log cabin and she chews that too.. not sure whether to remove it!

Last edited:
Back