• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Homeopathic Nosodes' INSTEAD of Vaccinating *A Warning*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Just a word of warning for anyone tempted to try 'alternative treatments' rather than vaccinating a Rabbit against Myxomatosis and VHD.

Choosing not to vaccinate is of course a Rabbit owner's 'right' but do not be deceived into believing that homeopathic nosodes are an effective and safe alternative to conventional vaccines. I am aware of a very recent tragedy involving 8 Rabbits lost to VHD as a result of relying on Nosodes rather than vaccination. These deaths were all preventable. The person chose not to use the conventional vaccine due to a belief that it would interfere with a Breeding programme. Well, said programme has certainly been 'interfered with' now :cry:

Please dont ask me to disclose any more details about this specific case, I am not going to do so.

Also, a similar event occurred for a very dear friend, now herself deceased. She was NOT a nasty negligent person, she simply believed what she had been told about the 'safety and efficacy' of Homeopathic Nosodes. She went to hell and back as a result of an outbreak of VHD amongst her Rabbits. I wont post links to the threads on here about the tragedy, but older RU members will probably recall the awful time :cry:

So please PLEASE think carefully about going down the Homeopathic/Alternative route for your Rabbits. Just because something is 'natural' it does not mean it is 'safe'. Quite the opposite in some cases.

What a shame :(

Can I ask, do Homeopathic/Alternative methods work at all? Just wondering with the situation in Oz where they can't vaccinate their buns.

What a shame :(

Can I ask, do Homeopathic/Alternative methods work at all? Just wondering with the situation in Oz where they can't vaccinate their buns.

I do not believe that 'Homeopathic' vaccines work at all. If vaccines are not available then IMO it would be better to concentrate on minimising contact with vectors of disease. Having seen the devastation that can result in the misguided belief that 'natural' = 'safer' I would never subject a Rabbit in my care to the risk of not using conventional vaccines (provided the specific Rabbit is healthy and able to be vaccinated).

My Vet is not anti some complimentary treatments such as Acupuncture, but she is 100% against the use of 'alternative' vaccines. I just cant understand why anyone would risk it. The recent situation I am aware of regarding the VHD outbreak makes me feel very angry really. The person had been given sound Veterinary advice re the risks being taken in going down the 'alternative' route. But sadly the person refused to listen. 11 Rabbits paid the price :cry:

I wouldn't go far to say Alternative/Homeopathic is useless but it depends, I believe, on what. As an alternative to vaccinations? Never believed and 11 is just a horrific number in such a concentrated area and that speaks more loudly than we can. Alternative was never advertised initially to replace to conventional medicine be that animal or humans, it always to compliment (hence complimentary therapy). Personally, I wouldn't trust anything other than veterinary advice. Never trust people who advertise to replace medical aid.

chooding not to vaccinate couod lead to the bunny suffering horribly. I've seen mixi and vhd and what it does. I lived in a rural area before moving where I am now. horrible really horrible.

rm

I wouldn't use homeopathy on animals. James's sister had her cat treated with homeopathy for an ear infection. Didn't work in fact it got worse and her cat ended up with a permanently damaged droopy ear. I wonder if homoeopathy works with some people because of a placebo effect, in the case of animals they are not going to know one way or another, so it clearly doesn't work. If people are happy to use homeopathy themselves, that is fine but its a real gamble to use it as an alternative on pets.

I wouldn't use homeopathy on animals. James's sister had her cat treated with homeopathy for an ear infection. Didn't work in fact it got worse and her cat ended up with a permanently damaged droopy ear. I wonder if homoeopathy works with some people because of a placebo effect, in the case of animals they are not going to know one way or another, so it clearly doesn't work. If people are happy to use homeopathy themselves, that is fine but its a real gamble to use it as an alternative on pets.

I guess it's down to individual beliefs. I know that the person on here who used Nosodes and subsequently lost several Rabbits to VHD genuinely believed what she was told by a supposed 'expert' in the field of Alternative Veterinary Medicine. She was utterly devastated by what happened, in fact I'd go as far as saying she never recovered from the trauma. We spoke about it often right up until when she died. She blamed herself completely and she said she would never forgive herself :cry: She was my friend but nothing I said helped. Maybe it's because of her experience that I feel so strongly about the issue of using 'Alternative Medicine' (ie instead of and not alongside conventional treatments) for treating Rabbits. Or any animal.

Back