• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jake's neuter UD - licking bits help!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I've been impressed with the vets so far so feel he will be looked after well, will do a little packed lunch for him tonight. I'm just wondering if he needs to be shut in his pen for a few days while he recovers? He has free run of the front room and kitchen and races around binkying and jumps on the sofa and wondering if he needs to rest for a while? Although I know males tend to bounce back, I can't remember what I did with Boris after his neuter although he did need some extra care as he developed an infection. Also how long does it take for all the hormones to die down?

Will be anxious waiting to pick the little man up but I'm sure he'll be fine!

Last edited:
Good luck with his neuter :) The advise I was given was that they should be confined to a pen/small area for 24-48 hours with nothing in it that they could jump on. So I would just him in his pen for around 24 hours and then see how he is. I think it takes about a month for hormones to die down.

Good luck with his neuter :) The advise I was given was that they should be confined to a pen/small area for 24-48 hours with nothing in it that they could jump on. So I would just him in his pen for around 24 hours and then see how he is. I think it takes about a month for hormones to die down.

Thank you, and ok we'll do that :) My only concern is what to do if he chews his stitches as I had a bad experience with Boris, he did this three times at the vets and had to keep being re-stitched so they had to put a collar on him which I was a bit upset with as I know rabbits shouldn't have them, he hated it and it was smeared with cecotrophes (I'll never be able to spell that right sorry!) so I took it off and put a modified baby grow on him which he also didn't like. Then he got an infection as was on antibiotics which made him more miserable poor lad!

Good luck tomorrow! And oh dear, poor Boris :shock: Amy pulled her stitches and had a babygro, too, and had he wound bathed with a solution daily for a while.

Thank you :wave:

Jake, hop for the hills, a pesky Vet is after your plums :shock:

Good luck lad :love:

:lol: He's lied down on his blanket blissfully unaware he's about to be carted off to the vets, I have to get the bus too but luckily he's shown to travel quite well with just a bit of sulking after, if only they understood it was for their own good!

Thank you :wave:

:lol: He's lied down on his blanket blissfully unaware he's about to be carted off to the vets, I have to get the bus too but luckily he's shown to travel quite well with just a bit of sulking after, if only they understood it was for their own good!

Awww little man!!!

Good luck Jake! Hope all goes well for you today and that your Mom doesn't worry too much :D

Thank you :) Got a call at 1 saying he'll be ready to pick up after two so got an appointment at 3.10 with the nurse to go through a few bits and pick him up.

Thank you!

Just have the concern that he seems very uncomfortable down there, shifting around (not in the same way where they're tummy hurts) and very intent on licking it! How can I stop this? I don't want him to end up with an infection or pulling out the stitches! He's had a few munches on hay and ate all the pellets and treats that went with him but is far more interested in licking his bits atm and I don't want to keep pestering him by gently nudging his head away!

The vets usually give a long acting painkiller before bunny comes home. Did they give you any metacam or something to give him? Maybe get some from them for him! Most vets have OOH service.

The vets usually give a long acting painkiller before bunny comes home. Did they give you any metacam or something to give him? Maybe get some from them for him! Most vets have OOH service.

Thanks, I've got some with me but it says he's next dose isn't due until tomorrow morning?

I think I'd give vets a ring. He could just be eating his ceacotrophs as you say he's eating ok. He can probably smell all the handling he's had.

I think I'd give vets a ring. He could just be eating his ceacotrophs as you say he's eating ok. He can probably smell all the handling he's had.

Thanks, all they said was he's had his dose of pain killers for today and try distracting him with treats hidden in things etc, he doesn't do it whilst he's being stroked so I'm not sure if he's doing it as a comfort thing perhaps? He's definitely licking not eating ceacotrophs as if I go to stop him by placing my hand there he'll stay licking my hand for a while...

Louie licked his wound almost constantly for the first couple of days.

I just left him to it, checking frequently that he hadn't done any damage but he was fine.

Back