• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ecu niculi

The spelling is: E cuniculi, or it's full name of Encephalitozoon cuniculi. Also often called 'EC' on here as that's much easier!

Given that an estimated 50% of the domestic rabbit population have been exposed/are carriers of it then, yes, sadly a lot of us have experienced it.

It's normally associated with head tilt and rolling/loss of balance but it can have many other effects including kidney damage.

Many rabbits however will live all their lived with it, busy making antibodies for it but never have the symptoms associated with it.

my baby got really sick. her weight plummeted, she's permanent damage even though now she's on the road to recovery

rm

Sorry to hear about your bunny :( one of mine was recently diagnosed with it but it only seems to have affected one eye and he has a cateract in that eye. I have treated him and he is coping very well with sight I only one eye.

It is something I am hearing a lot about lately, there seem to be a lot of posts on the forum about rabbits getting it

ravenmoore36 what medicines did you give her? Usually vets give panacur sometimes with an antibiotic. Did your baby get that?

Ah I'm really sorry. If you do a search you'll find quite a few people on here whose rabbits have had it. Lots of recovery vibes for your little one

You would normally be given an anti-inflammatory medicine which is vital to help with the inflammation the EC causes. Panacur for 28 days against the actual 'parasite' and Metacam for inflammation.

thanks. just got to get her weight up now. I think the worst of it all was I couldn't do anymore to make it go away for her. I felt so powerless. on the mend now but for a while things got scary. she now has permanent balance issues and a heart murmer. but getting there bit by bit. she's a real fighter and I think that made a huge difference.

rm

thanks. just got to get her weight up now. I think the worst of it all was I couldn't do anymore to make it go away for her. I felt so powerless. on the mend now but for a while things got scary. she now has permanent balance issues and a heart murmer. but getting there bit by bit. she's a real fighter and I think that made a huge difference.

rm

Glad to hear she's doing better now :thumb: I hope things continue to progress well xx

Back