• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

10 yr old bunnys sudden change of appetite. Please bear with me...

toria

Warren Scout
Hello,

My 2 rabbits celebrated their 10th Birthday a week last Thursday.
But since then and quite suddenly both their eating habits have changed.

So, since their 9th Birthday Toby got ill with Gut Stasis so since then I split their small amount of grain (Burgess Excel Junior) feed into 2 meals.
They had half in the morning followed by Broccoli. Then the other half in the evening when Willow would then have an Oxbow Natural Science Joint Support for Small Animals as she is a bit wobbly, and Toby would have Alflafa Ring so they both had something together.
They would then have some more broccoli later before bed.
They constantly have Alfalfa King Timothy Hay.
This was working well. Both enthusiastic about their food. They've never been big Hay eaters but don't have much grain either but the bowl would be emptied there and then.
Before you wonder why Burgess Excel Junior, they have always eaten this and Toby does not have any front teeth and the smaller pellets were better.

Anyway, so the night before their birthday, I went out to just see in semi darkness, that Willow had fallen over and was wriggling about. She righted herself before I got to her, then found their treat ball and started pushing it about as usual and seemed fine.
She has been on trial Metacam before and I was concerned she was a little wobbly but having witnessed this, I was now worrying a lot.
I really really did not want to take them to the Vets on their Birthday but after talking to the Nurse, she suggested I went in. I couldn't see my usual Vet but another Rabbit Vet (one that looked after Toby when he had Gut Stasis)
Everything is fine with Willow. Weight is the same. Everything else OK. But I got Metacam for her. (0.9mls twice a day for 4 days then 0.6mls twice a day)
Toby is also fine too, back teeth fine but he'd lost 100gms since February. They suggested I monitor his weight at home.

But since then, it is as if they have decided amongst themselves to be extremely stubborn:
Willow won't have her medicine everytime (whereas the last time she was on it, she immediately went to get it)
They won't eat their morning grain together or Willow at all whilst Toby eats it but not all. Sometimes wondering off then returning. Then Willow eats the Broccoli and Toby is not fussed.
Their evening meal is awful. I struggle to get Willow to have her medicine. Neither seem interested in their grain, refuse the supplement/treat and I leave the grain in there. It does go within a couple of hours but this is not the norm.
So, witnessing this difference in eating habit puts me in panic mode, getting upset etc... but come later on, (at Brocolli before bed time) they seem more enthusiastic - first eating their supplement/treat - then their Broccoli, then I put some more grain (surplus to what they have daily) in their bowl to nibble on during the night but it goes before I can get out of the run. Sometimes they do really well, other times, it's a lot of wondering around and back and forth but it's better than the other times.

They are still not eating much hay, if not less. They are eating. They are pooing and they are drinking.
But why oh why have they suddenly changed? It's like overnight.

I have read other posts about the change in Excel Junior (I too was wary when I bought a new pack) but we are nearing the end of a pack. Maybe I should try (I know to gradually introduce it) Science Selective? Any thoughts?

I keep thinking (every panicked evening meal time) that I should take them to the Vets. But come later on, they eat. They ARE eating and I really don't want to upset them going there.

I don't know what to do. I am very worried yet they are OK. I was worried at one point that Toby was getting ill again but he is pooing and doesn't have the signs of it.

I videoed them one night (at Broccoli bed time) to show my Mum them eating and it looked normal, it really did but they are sooo stubborn and went back to being naughty the next meal time. I wish I knew how to upload a video.

Also Willow, after 4 days of Metacam, she had a couple of days of being quite energetic etc (I videoed this too) but now after the lower dose, she is not so energetic and a bit more restrained. I was worried the Metacam was lowering her appetite but this seemed odd as it didn't on the previous occasion she had it. And of course Toby is not on Metacam and is the same appetite wise.

I am sorry this is so long winded but I think you can appreciate that I am concerned (I am writing this after the evening meal which they really don't eat well at the time and when I am in panic mode) and that it seems the change is so sudden.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :wave:

Are they drinking their normal amount and do they drink from a bowl or a bottle ? Drinking more and eating less can point to a few things including: 1- mouth pain from Dental problems (only about 80% of the oral cavity can be accurately assessed in a conscious Rabbit and tooth root elongation can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs.Elderly Rabbits can develop problems related to pain from elongated tooth roots), and 2- kidney problems (common in elderly Rabbits)

If they are drinking less this can lead to a reduced appetite and secondary gut slow down. Older Rabbits often find a bowl easier to drink from than a sipper bottle.
It sounds as though Willow has osteoarthritis, hence the Vet prescribed Metacam. Discomfort from arthritis, which can fluctuate in it's severity, can cause a reduced appetite. A Rabbit eating less and also taking a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (metacam) may benefit from having Ranitidine to protect the GI tract from the potential of ulceration.

If you are becoming anxious around them at feed time (understandable as you are obviously concerned) they will pick up on your anxiety and consequently not want to eat whilst you are about. So that too could be playing a part given that they are eating, just not as quickly and not when being observed.

I would take them both back to the Vet as if you dont you are only going to keep stressing about them. You have obviously cared for them both very well over their long lives, so I am sure you are doing all you can for them now. Another Vet check would be for your benefit as much as for your Rabbits :)

Good luck xx

Last edited:
Took them to the Vets, had to see another Vet again.
Toby is fine, sounds fine everywhere. Weight up by 0.01kg... Concerned about his right eye as found a white mark on it. As suspected he'd poked himself in the eye and now has eye drops twice a day for 2 weeks which is not helping matters in regards to feeding. His eye is looking better already.
Willow's weight is the same. She's a bit stiff. He said her gut was a little slow so been prescribed Cisapride Suspension twice a day for 5 days. Again this is not helping matters with feeding.
I think I have just upset them again by taking them to the Vets. Willow especially is being extremley stubborn and I can not get medicine into her mouth with the syringe, she would normally take the Metacam on broken up Nibble rings but now it is a struggle to get her to have this.

Neither of them were interested in their grain and broccoli this morning before I went to work but it had gone by the time I got home. Not sure who had eaten it though.

I feel like I have upset them so much some how and don't know how to make them happy.

Toby is fine, sounds fine everywhere. Weight up by 0.01kg... Concerned about his right eye as found a white mark on it. As suspected he'd poked himself in the eye and now has eye drops twice a day for 2 weeks which is not helping matters in regards to feeding. His eye is looking better already.
Willow's weight is the same. She's a bit stiff. He said her gut was a little slow so been prescribed Cisapride Suspension twice a day for 5 days. Again this is not helping matters with feeding.
I think I have just upset them again by taking them to the Vets. Willow especially is being extremley stubborn and I can not get medicine into her mouth with the syringe, she would normally take the Metacam on broken up Nibble rings but now it is a struggle to get her to have this.

Neither of them were interested in their grain and broccoli this morning before I went to work but it had gone by the time I got home. Not sure who had eaten it though.

I feel like I have upset them so much some how and don't know how to make them happy.

My buns will take meds on slices of apple or I dribble it onto their front paws, that way they have to lick it off.

I'm glad you've had them double-checked at the vets now. At least your mind is put at rest that nothing can be found at the moment. It sounds to me like Willow has a touch of arthritis, from what you've said about her falling over. Metacam usually addresses this, but check that the vet is prescribing a good dose to cope with it. I realise it's not good to be on a high dose constantly as it's hard on the kidneys. But getting them over this rough stressy patch, it may be necessary.

I have found that with my rabbits, if I watch and get stressed about their eating habits, they will do nothing but sit beside the bowl and refuse to eat. I have crept out of the room and peeked back in, and seen them woofing down the food. They certainly do pick up on our stress, and I have one rabbit in particular who gets *extremely* stressed out at the vets, so I can understand how they need time to get 'back to normal' as it were.

You have done so well to have looked after them to a good old age. Many rabbits don't reach half that age! Well done you :thumb:

My bunny would beg for her Medicam and one day I did not know why she suddenly did not want to take it. I realized I used her Medicam syringe for her antibiotic and somehow, even after cleaning it, she knew. Once I got a fresh syringe and kept it only for the Medicam she went back to begging for it.

My bunny would beg for her Medicam and one day I did not know why she suddenly did not want to take it. I realized I used her Medicam syringe for her antibiotic and somehow, even after cleaning it, she knew. Once I got a fresh syringe and kept it only for the Medicam she went back to begging for it.

Very useful to highlight this! It can especially apply if the antibiotic is the evil tasting Baytril !!

Toria could you set up a webcam to observe your Rabbits without actually being in the room with them ? That would give you a better idea of how they are behaving when they are not thinking you are about to give them more meds.

If only we could get our Rabbits to understand that when we are giving them medication we are only trying to help them. It would make the situation a lot less stressful for all concerned.

:lol: They are sooo clever, aren't they! And with a mammothly good sense of smell ;)

Having a bit of a worrying day today as they are both being extremely stubborn.
They have a couple of late nights where they have eaten their broccoli and some extra grain really well. This morning Willow had all her Metacam and the Cisapride Suspension on broken Nibble rings fine.
But no interest in their grain this morning with slightly more interest in their broccoli.
As I have been home today, I have obviously been checking them and they have spent the day sleeping on their vet bed. I was concerned as there were no poos since I tidyed up this morning which worried me. Some bunny had eaten some grain and brocolli but by teatime, there was still some pellets left.
I have given them some grass and dandelion leaves from the garden between which have gone.
I popped to the supermarket and on my return there were some poos from both bunnys.
At teatime, I have to clean Willow's ears (normal routine) and put Toby's eye drops in but no interest in the grain whatsoever. Given them some Kale and carrot but no enthusiasm, although checking now, the kale looks like it's gone. And Willow has not had tonight's medicines.
I have had that awful sick feeling in my gut for most of the day, I just do not know what to do. They are eating in their new slow way but it really disturbs me that there is no enthusiasm for their food like there used to be. They were there and eating it in one go just over 2 weeks ago.

Does the vet think it's their age affecting their appetite? I always think whatever they will eat, give it to them so if they prefer grass and dandelions to broccoli then maybe give them that for a while?

Does the vet think it's their age affecting their appetite? I always think whatever they will eat, give it to them so if they prefer grass and dandelions to broccoli then maybe give them that for a while?

Yes, letting them eat what they want to is the best option. Are they both drinking ?

Yes I would go with this .... Best to keep something going through their systems :wave:

Back