• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunnies eat all types of willow? Also, plant ID please!

ImoT

Mama Doe
I have this willow tree in my garden;
pZluEwb.jpg

Can rabbits eat the leaves and bits of green stem I take off? I have to take off lots of leaves to make it grow (according to the instructions), but I wasn't sure if rabbits could eat those bits?

This is a weed that is growing everywhere at the moment, across the road from me and on my walk to work, just wondered if it's bunny safe and what it is;
k1uAVOG.jpg

This is growing under my apple tree. I thought it was my 'bee garden' or 'meadow garden' cheap seeds from tescos coming through (and just hadn't flowered yet) but my mum said it's too early for them so is probably a weed. I need to dig it up but it would be good to know what it is and if bunnies can have it;
rT6F5JD.jpg

This is growing around my lawn. It looks a bit like arum but isn't waxy, it's very soft, so I don't think it's arum;
zmmuTUy.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

Hi I just came online to ask a similar question about the willow! I have lots growing in my garden. I cut a few young (green coloured) sticks for them yesterday but pulled off all the leaves first. Just in case they're not allowed the leaves. I would be really keen to hear if all species and parts of willow are ok too. Thanks.

As far as I know rabbits can eat all parts of willow. I tend to give them a small amount a day as it has a substance in similar to aspirin and I'm not sure if they wold overdose if they ate a whole bagful!
nopdo

The first plant looks like Chenopodium album, or 'fat hen'. It's same for humans, pigs and sheep so I would imagine it's ok for rabbits too....but please double check as that doesn't always work!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/weeds/fat-hen

Not sure about the second plant and the third one is too small to see properly. It's definitely not Arum though as it seems to have scalloped leaf edges.

As far as I know rabbits can eat all parts of willow. I tend to give them a small amount a day as it has a substance in similar to aspirin and I'm not sure if they wold overdose if they ate a whole bagful!
nopdo

The first plant looks like Chenopodium album, or 'fat hen'. It's same for humans, pigs and sheep so I would imagine it's ok for rabbits too....but please double check as that doesn't always work!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/weeds/fat-hen

Not sure about the second plant and the third one is too small to see properly. It's definitely not Arum though as it seems to have scalloped leaf edges.

Thank you for your reply. I put the weeds on the compost today as I didn't want to risk it! I will be giving Winston some Willow though :)

Cool, always better safe than sorry :) If you see the third one again though, get some closeups of it - I can't work out what it is and it's annoying me! :lol:

Back