• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies do NOT approve of the dog! lol - help!

Nova

Young Bun
Hi everybun! :wave:This is also posted over on BB forums... sorry for x-posting to those who are members of both. :love:

It sure has been a while since I have been here. You guys have lovingly helped me through so much-- everything from the loss of my little Beau during his neuter surgery all the way to supporting me and Boon during his chronic dysautonomia and GI stasis woes, to the very end when he went over the rainbow bridge and bonded our sweet twice widowed Phenom to her now mate, Kai. Both who are very healthy, although Phenom has developed chronic Snuffles. Poor girl. she is on an antibiotic periodically but I do not want her gut flora to become damaged so she is not on it often. ( I personally developed a severe antibiotic associated infection that required a transplant to cure so I am very wary of antibiotics).

anywho, I do have some heart health issues and trouble with exercising alone so I thought it'd be a good idea to have a walking/jogging buddy,so my fiance and I got a dog. the dog is perfectly fine around the buns, sometimes he will sit and watch them in their condo.

Problem is... they are not cool with him. At all. We've had him for about 6 months now. He pays them no mind. I've tried just about everything to get them to come out of their condo, even while doggy was crated. They are just not comfortable with the presence of the dog, and this makes me so sad. In a couple years we will have a larger part of our house available (we are leasing part of it) and I plant to keep the bunnies there, sort of make it an exclusive bunroom. But until then, I really wish Kai and Phenom would adjust to the dog.
People thought I'd start putting the dog before the bunnies but they are wrong, lol. I love my dog and he is one spoiled brat, he's my best friend, but my bunnies are my babies. Of course Id never allow them unsupervised to hang out with each other. I'd love to set aside some time for them to be out and about though, perhaps while my dog is outside running around the yard. But they aren't feeling very secure outside of their condo, whether he is here or not. Any advice?

Nova :love:

I'm sorry to hear this but as a prey species, it's perfectly normal for bunnnies to be frightened of dogs. I'm very lucky as all of my bunnies have got used to my dogs, and Meggie is the perfect 'bunny' dog as she is not a bit interested in them and they'll happily all be in the garden at the same time.

I don't really know what to suggest without causing additional stress to the bunnies. Can you try lots of tunnels and hiding places leading from their condo to other areas in the house? Perhaps they feel exposed and need more to give them cover? Sadly, they may never accept the dog because for all they know, he may be wanting to eat them! I hope the issue resolves itself in time and they all learn to live in harmony.

Back