• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues, sanctuaries.......how do they manage to keep going? Please read.....

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
I, like many of you, love to hear the wonderful stories of our furry friends that have been rescued and are either now waiting to be re-homed or are going to live the rest of their little lives in the safety of a sanctuary.

Now, taking into account vaccinations, neutering, hay, feed, acupuncture, specially adapted/bought items to assist in their recovery, horrendous vets bills...how do the rescues/sanctuaries manage to keep going?

Well they mainly rely on the support on wonderful caring and loving people.....and of course many rely on their own personal finances to help out too.

That is why, when you get the chance to help raise money by whatever means and for which animal charity.............please, please do help.

It must be really stressful juggling finances to meet all their welfare needs. I do what I can to help. I do think sponsoring a bunny is a great gift (I wish I knew some spoilt children :lol:.) I was chuffed last week when I sent my mate a link to a rescue & she sponsored 2 bunnies there, so some of my help is nudging people with more money than I in the right direction :) I

It must be really stressful juggling finances to meet all their welfare needs. I do what I can to help. I do think sponsoring a bunny is a great gift (I wish I knew some spoilt children :lol:.) I was chuffed last week when I sent my mate a link to a rescue & she sponsored 2 bunnies there, so some of my help is nudging people with more money than I in the right direction :) I

Excellent! I am still amazed at how many people have no idea that rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, chinchilla, gerbil, degu....... rescues exist. They just have no idea that so many other small animals are needing homes.

I put the phone down to a very annoying man from Battersea Dog Home the other day - I know they use a company to do their fund raising calls etc and he would just not accept my answer as to why I had cut my monthly donations which was :

"I only have a certain amount of money to donate to charities each month - and there are loads of small charities that need my donation. Batterea Dogs and Cats do a great job - but they seem to have money to spare to pay the likes of you to harrass me - therefore I will give my money elsewhere to those charities that will use it for the animal"

I wish I had some special skill to put to use for the benefit of the smaller charities - but can only donate what I can afford each month.

I put the phone down to a very annoying man from Battersea Dog Home the other day - I know they use a company to do their fund raising calls etc and he would just not accept my answer as to why I had cut my monthly donations which was :

"I only have a certain amount of money to donate to charities each month - and there are loads of small charities that need my donation. Batterea Dogs and Cats do a great job - but they seem to have money to spare to pay the likes of you to harrass me - therefore I will give my money elsewhere to those charities that will use it for the animal"

I wish I had some special skill to put to use for the benefit of the smaller charities - but can only donate what I can afford each month.

Perhaps there is a rescue nearby where you could volunteer to go and help every so often? Also if any friends or family have any good quality bric a brac they no longer want, then they could be used to raise money for Pledge A Pound, which raises funds to help over 25 rabbit and guinea pig rescues up and down the country....and even just spreading the word about rabbit welfare is a very rewarding and much needed thing to be doing. And you already donate what you can afford.....so that is wonderful.:thumb:

I've been meaning to order one of those lovely blankets Tracy makes to raise funds for rescues for a while and now I just have! Thanks for the kick up the bum Mrs B! x

thank you for this thread Mrs Bunnykins. Most of the smaller rescue really do struggle to keep going and one large vet bill can knock us right down .
So everyone who wants to help find your local rescue and/or one you are happy with, policies ect..and lend your support..every little helps and sometimes it doesn't have to be money..old clean towels are often in short supply for example

Back