• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly - a quick update

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Molly was back to see the vet again today. Over the past couple of days she has been eating some readigrass but still no hay and she is certainly not better.

She has lost weight, 100g in the last week alone. 300g In total now. Gill, the vet was able to be more frank with me this week as I didn't have the children with me. She said many rabbits don't survive chronic lung disease and that I should be prepared for that outcome.:cry: but she did also say that there is no reason why Molly shouldn't be one of the lucky ones. We have come away with more septrin and eye drops as Molly's right eye is weepy.

What is the best way to give eye drops to a bunny? Never had to do that before. Also how can we put a stop to this weight loss? She has been eating a small handful of pellets in the morning and a bowl of veg or forage for tea. She eats these slowly but she does eat them. It's just hay she won't eat. I guess the readigrass will be helping but I don't want her having too much of it because of the calcium levels. Do I give her more pellets/veg? But if I do won't that make her even less likely to eat the hay!

Oh why did I pick such a complicated and delicate pet! It's a good job I adore her.:love:

My old bunny was treated with Zithromax for pnuemonia (sp). Not sure what drugs you've tried so far but might be worth giving Zithromax a shot. Has to be used 'off licence' though as it's not licenced for use in rabbits. Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care clinic uses it frequently, especially for respiratory disorders.

I have tried sprinkling dried herbs in her hay but it didn't work. I have been giving her grass which she has been eating.

Fresh herbs still growing in pots from supermarkets is what my buns love when they are under the weather. They love parsley, either curly or flat leaf, coriander and basil., but any fresh herbs. They also love a slice of apple. ideal for putting Metacam on or crushed up tablets on.

Back