• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Re-iterating warnings on Stasis

Truffton

New Kit
Hi everyone,

We've had a very sad week this week as just 35 hours into bringing our new bun, Boots/Rex home we were making the heart-breaking decision to let him go to sleep.

I thought I knew all about stasis after caring for Arthur, our poorly little runt and her constant digestive issues for 5 years. We eventually lost her a couple of months go and brought Boots home as a new companion for our lop, Daisy.

My problem was that I didn't know his behaviours yet. I felt that just because he'd been quite active the night before, that didn't necessarily mean he would be in the morning. Maybe he was like his new Mama, NOT a morning person! Or maybe he wasn't as pellet greedy as my others! Or maybe many other things. I decided to keep a close eye on him and phone the vets if he continued like that for much longer.

After a little while I decided he definitely wasn't eating so got a vets appointment and tried a few things I'd learnt with Arthur. From the vets we were sent straight to the veterinary hospital and at 11pm got the heart-wrenching phone call meaning we had to make some very quick decisions about his care. The vets suspected an obstruction and by 1am, after many phone calls back and forth it was clear we needed to let him go.

I know there are warnings everywhere about eating and pooping and I watch for these constantly. However, it still happened to me.
I'm so glad I work from home and was able to keep a close eye on him for a bit, that I didn't just think, oh he'll be fine and have to leave for work.

So my warnings are these:
1. ANY, ANY, ANY change in behaviour is indicative of a problem. Get a vets appointment, go to an emergency service. If your bun is fine all the better, they'll just show their anger for a bit and then cuddle up again.
2. And this one is a bit more selfish. Get your new pet insured the moment you get him/her home. Sadly we didn't so we're now left with the bill. We don't begrudge it in any way, he needed the care, I'm glad he had the pain relief he needed, but it's not ideal.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, but I think the more warnings that are out there about these issues the better!

I am so sorry for your tragic loss :cry:

A reminder to all of us that we can never be complacent about a Rabbit who seems to be 'not right'. Thank you for taking the time to post this thread, despite having endured such an awful event :cry:

RIP little Bunny xx

Hi everyone,

We've had a very sad week this week as just 35 hours into bringing our new bun, Boots/Rex home we were making the heart-breaking decision to let him go to sleep.

I thought I knew all about stasis after caring for Arthur, our poorly little runt and her constant digestive issues for 5 years. We eventually lost her a couple of months go and brought Boots home as a new companion for our lop, Daisy.

My problem was that I didn't know his behaviours yet. I felt that just because he'd been quite active the night before, that didn't necessarily mean he would be in the morning. Maybe he was like his new Mama, NOT a morning person! Or maybe he wasn't as pellet greedy as my others! Or maybe many other things. I decided to keep a close eye on him and phone the vets if he continued like that for much longer.

After a little while I decided he definitely wasn't eating so got a vets appointment and tried a few things I'd learnt with Arthur. From the vets we were sent straight to the veterinary hospital and at 11pm got the heart-wrenching phone call meaning we had to make some very quick decisions about his care. The vets suspected an obstruction and by 1am, after many phone calls back and forth it was clear we needed to let him go.

I know there are warnings everywhere about eating and pooping and I watch for these constantly. However, it still happened to me.
I'm so glad I work from home and was able to keep a close eye on him for a bit, that I didn't just think, oh he'll be fine and have to leave for work.

So my warnings are these:
1. ANY, ANY, ANY change in behaviour is indicative of a problem. Get a vets appointment, go to an emergency service. If your bun is fine all the better, they'll just show their anger for a bit and then cuddle up again.
2. And this one is a bit more selfish. Get your new pet insured the moment you get him/her home. Sadly we didn't so we're now left with the bill. We don't begrudge it in any way, he needed the care, I'm glad he had the pain relief he needed, but it's not ideal.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, but I think the more warnings that are out there about these issues the better!

I agree with you 100 times :thumb:

There's no time to lose when a bun is off their food and doesn't behave 'normally'. They hide their illnesses until it's all too late ....

Thank you for posting this, and I'm so sorry for your very sad loss :cry:

As you say it is so much easier when you've had a rabbit for a while to know that they are "not right" and so very difficult with a newbie. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my new bunny too this week after only a month with him but for different reasons so I know what you are going through. Sending hugs your way.

I'm really sorry for your loss :( I experienced my first stasis episode with Winston last week and it was horrible. Thank you for taking the time to reiterate the importance of watching out for it and acting quickly. You did everything you could for Boots.

Back