• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nesting Box

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and so I apologise if this question has already been answered. I have a pregnant Doe who is about to give birth and I was told to put a shoe box in her hutch so she could start nesting. She keeps ripping the shoe boxes apart so I'm not sure what to use. Any idea what I could use? Should I buy a wooden nesting box? Does anyone sell them?

Thanks in advance.

Nesting box re commendation cone from the USA where rabbits are routinely kept in wire floor cages, so without a solid floor box cannot nest.

In the UK they aren't neccessary- you bun will make a lovely best by rearranging her bedding and pulling fur - usually in a corner of the more private section of the hutch or in a hidy box if you provide one. Just give lots of extra straw and hay and she will do the rest

Agree with Whitelighter. Just plenty of bedding in the hutch and she'll do the rest herself. Of course, if she's in a wire cage then she will need a solid floor area AND some additional beding.

Back